The Reference 6SN7 Thread
May 8, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #6,826 of 10,057
😁
A9763559-4D0D-4AEE-A21B-131E6A6BBD38.jpeg
🤷🏻‍♂️
B1368B5B-AE7A-4EE1-B5EC-71B861AC30B1.jpeg

May 8, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #6,827 of 10,057
??? BGRP ???...... Is this some kind of getter and a ribbed plate or what? What's the plate construction here? I can't see from the photos.

As I've said before, I differentiate between the different kind of plate construction, not the make of tube. Especially since a lot of tubes were rebranded. For example my favourite angled plate 6SN7 is branded Motorola. Tall bottle, which seems to make a positive difference. I have Hewlett Packard, Silvertone, Silverline, CBS, Remington, Toshiba, Hit-Ray....... all kinds of rebrands.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #6,828 of 10,057
??? BGRP ???...... Is this some kind of getter and a ribbed plate or what? What's the plate construction here? I can't see from the photos.

As I've said before, I differentiate between the different kind of plate construction, not the make of tube. Especially since a lot of tubes were rebranded. For example my favourite angled plate 6SN7 is branded Motorola. Tall bottle, which seems to make a positive difference. I have Hewlett Packard, Silvertone, Silverline, CBS, Remington, Toshiba, Hit-Ray....... all kinds of rebrands.
Black Glass Round Plate. They were branded a variety of different companies but all were made by Tungsol. They really are something special.

And yes, there are a zillion brands put on tubes it is usually easy to tell who actually made the tubes. You'll see the abbreviation of BGRP or even TSBGRP to describe these. Tungsol made other types of 6sn7 tubes later on but these are among the "holy grail" tier of 6sn7.

May 8, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #6,829 of 10,057
The 2 types of Tungsol BGRP. These Tungsols have become my favourite 6SN7 tubes and I am getting more of them.
I am making an effort to make sure my tube equipment can use 12sn7 tubes primarily so that I can afford to use the TSBGRP tubes. I have 3 pairs now. If I was only using them in my preamp that would probably be enough but my upcoming amp will use a pair of 12sn7 as well so it would be nice to have some more. Last time I checked there were actually several pairs of the TSBGRP 6f8g for sale on ebay. Not cheap but they aren't always the easiest things too find at all. Think they are still selling for less than the 6sn7.

May 8, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #6,830 of 10,057
I am making an effort to make sure my tube equipment can use 12sn7 tubes primarily so that I can afford to use the TSBGRP tubes. I have 3 pairs now. If I was only using them in my preamp that would probably be enough but my upcoming amp will use a pair of 12sn7 as well so it would be nice to have some more. Last time I checked there were actually several pairs of the TSBGRP 6f8g for sale on ebay. Not cheap but they aren't always the easiest things too find at all. Think they are still selling for less than the 6sn7.
Or become a complete lunatic and check eBay every one to two hours ready to pounce as soon as you find a pair listed by a seller that isn’t aware of the current value. I’ve scored two pairs both under $100 doing this. I’ve since stopped because I started losing my mind.

May 11, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #6,832 of 10,057
So I ordered a Lyr 3 (used, from a highly rated internet seller). It comes with a multibit card. I am excited to compare it to my Vali 2+ and my Saga +. I can feed it from the multibit card or from my non-multibit Modi 3. All using 6SN7 tubes. None of this will be scientific or blind. I just like to listen. Most comparison will be with a 6 watt rebuilt Magnavox amp, though I have a seventy watt solid state Yamaha amp as well.

May 11, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #6,834 of 10,057
From the recent 300B thread, Wathen was brought up and small discussion took place around their merit. Apparently Decware is pushing to make these a standard for their product. I was assured Steve Deckert was to evaluate but it may take a time.

Most focus seems around the other tube types inclduing 6SN7, so before I plop down a order on the 300B to compare against Western Electric, does anyone by chance have experience with any of their tubes? They go under the branding CryoTone.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #6,835 of 10,057
Unfortunately one of my Tung Sol black glass oval mica's seems to be dying :frowning2:. Switching to my RCA VT-231 grey glass for now as I love their synergy with 5998 powers. What other 6SN7's do folks recommend with 5998 powers? The black glass Tung Sols have been my favorite for sure but they're going for an insane price to get a good pair (https://www.ebay.com/itm/334145123884?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true).

Curious what else I should be looking into that's more reasonable? :)

May 13, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #6,836 of 10,057
Unfortunately one of my Tung Sol black glass oval mica's seems to be dying :frowning2:. Switching to my RCA VT-231 grey glass for now as I love their synergy with 5998 powers. What other 6SN7's do folks recommend with 5998 powers? The black glass Tung Sols have been my favorite for sure but they're going for an insane price to get a good pair (https://www.ebay.com/itm/334145123884?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true).

Curious what else I should be looking into that's more reasonable? :)
Get a set of 6F8G to 6SN7 adapters. National Union made rebrands can be had relatively cheap. I think they are on the same top tier as the BGRP.

May 13, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #6,837 of 10,057
I personally like the sound of the 6f8g tubes better than the 6SN7. When I had my WA5-LE v1 I switched to the 6f8g by recommendation of a friend and never looked back plus as been said here you can get them cheaper.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 14, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #6,838 of 10,057
I personally like the sound of the 6f8g tubes better than the 6SN7. When I had my WA5-LE v1 I switched to the 6f8g by recommendation of a friend and never looked back plus as been said here you can get them cheaper.

Do you mind sharing what about their sound makes you prefer them?

May 14, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #6,839 of 10,057
Do you mind sharing what about their sound makes you prefer them?

i'll put in my unwanted 2 cents here - the 6f8g can be more holographic and have more full-bodied sound. definitely more of these variants are relaxed...smoothed (rolled off highs), can be lush, definitely on the warmer side...very sweet sounding tubes, though YMMV. if you are a fan of the round plates, you can get that with the 6f8g at a more reduced cost than the unicorn 6sn7 tung sol round plates.

May 14, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #6,840 of 10,057
i'll put in my unwanted 2 cents here - the 6f8g can be more holographic and have more full-bodied sound. definitely more of these variants are relaxed...smoothed (rolled off highs), can be lush, definitely on the warmer side...very sweet sounding tubes, though YMMV. if you are a fan of the round plates, you can get that with the 6f8g at a more reduced cost than the unicorn 6sn7 tung sol round plates.
I'll take your 2 cents! Appreciate the impressions.

My interest is certainly piqued - any particular ones to look out for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back