The quest for soundstage!
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Angled drivers do create a more speaker like headstage. The trouble is - that's exactly what Dolby Headphone does. It's designed to sound like speakers placed ideally in a 'perfect room' when using headphones with a completely neutral headstage (i.e l+r drivers at 90 degrees, just next to your ears). If you add angled drivers it's a bit like moving the two front side speakers closer together. This may still sound acceptable for 5.1 but for stereo it destroys the 3d imaging intended when the record was mixed in a studio using monitors placed in a triangle with the sound engineer. For stereo recordings with headphones with angled drivers, you'd be better just using crossfeed, rather than Dolby Headphone. Live recordings are a bit different but usually have quite strong 3d cues if well recorded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphone would you be refering to? (HD555, HD595s, HD580s or HD600?)

The HD 555/595 have angled drivers. I just purchased the HD 580, and although they're a generally better headphone, I still prefer my 555's for TV/movies. The more foward and narrower soundstage on the 555's becomes a strength, because dialogue and foley sounds are more realistically presented (seemingly) in front of me--more "tied-in" with what's happening on the video display. The 580's resolve more reverberation/microdetails in the hall, and the presentation is further back to my ears (brain), which works great for classical music.

All of this to say, it seems to me that there isn't necessarily a "one-size-fits-all" solution to soundstage (or "headstage") on headphones. It really depends on what kind of experience you're trying to recreate--and may even be genre-specific.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #18 of 22
Wow, what a cool thread. Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences with surround sound via headphones.

I too, don't see why people are not interested more in an insanely large soundstage with 3-dimensionality.

For me having a large and clear soundstage is quite important, as I also listen to quite a few movies as well as music. But I agree, why is there not more music mixed in at least a 5.1 set-up? If I was a music producer that's how I would separate my recordings from others. Pluse a 5.1 mix is not that much different than a 2.1 anyways, and IMO sounds more natural.

Have you made any recent discoveries in your quest for large three dimensional soundstages?

(Edited for horrible late night grammar)

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #21 of 22
Nice illustrations.

I've always hated Dolby Headphone as I've found that it tries to force all my headphones to sound a certain way, and although it expands the soundstage vastly, it cuts detail and does something funky with positioning. I wish you all the best with your mission!

Remember to enjoy the music!

Edit: Although a fun feature that my sound card has is a 7.1 channel shifter that makes a full 7.1 surround effect. It doesn't cut clarity like DH, but the soundstage also isn't as large as DH. I still prefer my 2 channel though!

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always hated Dolby Headphone as I've found that it tries to force all my headphones to sound a certain way, and although it expands the soundstage vastly, it cuts detail and does something funky with positioning. I wish you all the best with your mission!

Yeah my findings also, Dolby Headphone alone through the position of the music seemingly behind my head and detail was lost. I have since combined it with channel mixer here which have some very desirable effects; a complete surround sound experience without the loss of detail.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back