The Qudelix-5K thread
Feb 20, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #4,531 of 4,830
Is the Q5K peq still superior to current Android system wide peq software?
I think so. Aside from sound quality differences (if anyone else can speak to that), there are two major features that I really like. 1) You can find peq curves for most medium to high popularity headphones and use/tweak them as you prefer. 2) The applied peq stays active on the 5K regardless of the bluetooth source (like I jump between my Android phone and my PC).

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #4,532 of 4,830
Is the Q5K peq still superior to current Android system wide peq software?
Which software were you referring to?There aren’t many system-wide + PEQ software. The Q5K has some unique features such as the option of an independent L/R PEQ, but I would not call it “superior” to a software solution.
It is different, as @mtfinny pointed out, your PEQ settings “follow” the Q5K regardless of the BT or USB source (Android, iOS, Laptop, PlayStation…), but I don’t think a HW-based DSP (Q5K) is superior to a SW-based library/system.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #4,533 of 4,830
I think so. Aside from sound quality differences (if anyone else can speak to that), there are two major features that I really like. 1) You can find peq curves for most medium to high popularity headphones and use/tweak them as you prefer. 2) The applied peq stays active on the 5K regardless of the bluetooth source (like I jump between my Android phone and my PC).
The PEQ capabilities of the 5k are amazing and give it a huge leg up over other dongles.

But as you suggest, other sound quality factors are where the 5K falls short. THD+N is somewhere in the low 80dB range, and it's even worse if you use bluetooth. Deciding which PEQ method to use comes down to which DAC/amp is less noisy: the 5K or the Android device. Chances are that the software-based method on the Android device is the better option if your goal is less noise/distortion.

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #4,534 of 4,830
Started using the 5K after a hiatus. I've had it function properly with my 2016 MBA with Mojave MacOS. Today when I tried using it I cannot connect the decive to my laptop via USB anymore. Have older macs been ruled out in the later software updates? Kinda sucks cause it was working flawlessly earlier. Also have the issue of mo right channel being quet as f#€k when using via bluetooth, did a patch by lowering the level of the left channel, but then of course max level is not good enough. This also used to be just fine.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #4,536 of 4,830
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #4,537 of 4,830
Updated to FW 3.0.0 (you got to update the app first I think), I think there's a new option for EQ ? USR/SPK or 20 band. But I got the device a few days ago only and I'm not familiar with it yet, maybe it was there before. Volume up/down long key lock seems also new to me (I activated for volume up, prevents accidentally raising volume too loud). I can't find the crossover option anymore, looks like they removed it ? Best wait for the official announcement...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #4,538 of 4,830
Updated to FW 3.0.0 (you got to update the app first I think), I think there's a new option for EQ ? USR/SPK or 20 band. But I got the device a few days ago only and I'm not familiar with it yet, maybe it was there before. Volume up/down long key lock seems also new to me (I activated for volume up, prevents accidentally raising volume too loud). I can't find the crossover option anymore, looks like they removed it ? Best wait for the official announcement...
The latest Qudelix App on Android is 2.3.2 but I don't have any notification about a FW 3.0.0... same with Chrome extension 2.3.2.12 :thinking:

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #4,539 of 4,830
As far as I know, fw 3.0 is not yet available.
It is been on Appstore since Saturday
IMG_5398.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #4,540 of 4,830
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #4,543 of 4,830
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #4,544 of 4,830
Joke aside, NSW actually stands for Nitendo Switch: that’s how it is labeled in the Chrome extension.
I believe the PS5 mode stands for UAC-1 compatible mode—PlayStation 5 is perhaps the most famous example.
The Nitendo Switch has additional compatibility quirks (16-bits only?).
I use neither, so I don’t know the exact details.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #4,545 of 4,830
Joke aside, NSW actually stands for Nitendo Switch: that’s how it is labeled in the Chrome extension.
I believe the PS5 mode stands for UAC-1 compatible mode—PlayStation 5 is perhaps the most famous example.
The Nitendo Switch has additional compatibility quirks (16-bits only?).
I use neither, so I don’t know the exact details.
I believe that's all correct. Not positive about Switch being 16 bit but honestly wouldn't be surprising (or have any real negative impact on the device).

PS5 (all the consoles, i believe) are definitely UAC-1. A bunch of companies that make DACs/amps specifically implement UAC-1 support just to support those consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back