The Qudelix-5K thread
May 13, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #4,772 of 4,816
What are other (cheaper?) dongles that sound better?
I don’t know about “cheaper,” but with THDN figures in the 80s and a combo DAC/amp/DSP chip from 2019, pretty much any recent $100 dongle with a simpler and newer chip would sound better. But PEQ functionality more than makes up for the difference IMO. And in this price range, features are far more important than sound quality anyway.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #4,773 of 4,816
What are other (cheaper?) dongles that sound better?
Probably. But no one buys the Qudelix for the sound, they buy it for the software.

The sound itself is fine, it's decent, , it sounds like a $100 device, I think my BTR7 and other DAC-amps I own sound better for example.

May 14, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #4,774 of 4,816
I've seen reviews against btr7 saying sound is a toss up, neglible difference basically, slightly more detailed bass. So YMMV but I wouldn't worry about the sound. A more digital sound to the 5K , so I might like that for electronic music. I was tempted like a lot of people by ifi Goblu. So. Minimal features, so are you saying you won't buy that for sound either?. And the Qudelix stacks up against that for sound too?... No really what the answer here is, a lot of people, first time dac enthusiasts, are firstly cross checking in their research that the Qudelix *also* stacks up in sound against the like of ifi Go Blu, and then the EQ features, in reality are the killer trigger switch. If that's what they want.

No ones buying a dog crap sound feature rich dac.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #4,775 of 4,816
I've seen reviews against btr7 saying sound is a toss up, neglible difference basically, slightly more detailed bass. So YMMV but I wouldn't worry about the sound. A more digital sound to the 5K , so I might like that for electronic music. I was tempted like a lot of people by ifi Goblu. So. Minimal features, so are you saying you won't buy that for sound either?. And the Qudelix stacks up against that for sound too?... No really what the answer here is, a lot of people, first time dac enthusiasts, are firstly cross checking in their research that the Qudelix *also* stacks up in sound against the like of ifi Go Blu, and then the EQ features, in reality are the killer trigger switch. If that's what they want.

No ones buying a dog crap sound feature rich dac.
I own the BTR7 (and the Go Blue and way more dac-amps) and the 5k is nothing special in terms of sound, it in the bottom drawer. If it wasn't for the software no one would be talking about it.

May 14, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #4,777 of 4,816
See , it's just you and your bias opinion flexing in forums. Ha no wonder.
No it's not, it's you who are biased cause you do not have points of comparison. I do have them and I can talk from my own experience, I do not have to rely on reviews.

May 14, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #4,778 of 4,816
No it's not, it's you who are biased cause you do not have points of comparison. I do have them and I can talk from my own experience, I do not have to rely on reviews.
I do have points of comparison in reviews. You failed to follow usual audio forum etiquette to point out that your point of view was not definitive and that YMMV.

May 14, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #4,779 of 4,816
But no one buys the Qudelix for the sound, they buy it for the software.
Exactly. Better and more succinctly said than what I tried to say above. And that's no shade thrown at the 5K. It's an excellent device... for its software and features.

Getting both bluetooth and an excellent DSP software toolset in a $100 device is unheard of. It's why these little things are so beloved. But, no, sound quality won't win any face offs against other, newer, leaner $100 dongles without all the features that the 5K has. It's a trade-off.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #4,782 of 4,816
I do have points of comparison in reviews. You failed to follow usual audio forum etiquette to point out that your point of view was not definitive and that YMMV.
Compared to you, I use my own ears to make a judgement. And I don't think I failed to follow etiquette, I am talking from my own experience, not parroting reviewers. I truly believe I am a step ahead of you as I actually own the devices I talk about. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, not my intention.

The Qudelix 5K is also a very competent dongle dac.
Youre description of PEQ features without mentioning the above is an incomplete impression.
Also You deserved my push back after your bad choice of language about a drawer.
Again, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I realise people get attached to things and any criticism of said things tend to be taken personally and I apologise if you felt I attacked you, I wasn't.

The 5k is indeed a very competent device and I love mine and I actually own 2 of them, one still in its box. But, let's call a lizard a lizard and not Godzilla.
The 5k is a $100 device and sounds like a $100 device.

We love it because it has great software, otherwise the sound is just average, the battery life is pretty crappy, mine discharges while off, the buttons are badly designed and I could continue but that's not the point.

The software is what makes this device stand out. My BTR7 sounds noticeably better with good IEMs, such as my Diva, or my Variations, or my Monarchs.

Please don't let my criticism make you enjoy the 5k any less.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #4,783 of 4,816
Compared to you, I use my own ears to make a judgement. And I don't think I failed to follow etiquette, I am talking from my own experience, not parroting reviewers. I truly believe I am a step ahead of you as I actually own the devices I talk about. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, not my intention.

Again, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I realise people get attached to things and any criticism of said things tend to be taken personally and I apologise if you felt I attacked you, I wasn't.

The 5k is indeed a very competent device and I love mine and I actually own 2 of them, one still in its box. But, let's call a lizard a lizard and not Godzilla.
The 5k is a $100 device and sounds like a $100 device.

We love it because it has great software, otherwise the sound is just average, the battery life is pretty crappy, mine discharges while off, the buttons are badly designed and I could continue but that's not the point.

The software is what makes this device stand out. My BTR7 sounds noticeably better with good IEMs, such as my Diva, or my Variations, or my Monarchs.

Please don't let my criticism make you enjoy the 5k any less.
Oh fine. It arrives in 5 days. i won't unpack it at all and sell it on and get a BTR15

May 15, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #4,785 of 4,816
Oh fine. It arrives in 5 days. i won't unpack it at all and sell it on and get a BTR15
Geez dude lighten up a bit, you act like your life depends on the 5k. It's OK, it's a fine device and you'll love it.
Can some normal active 5K using community hang out? Not jaded types who should move on with their lives and their other DACs lol.😀
See above my friend, come down on the ground, go outside and touch some grass, I understand you probably debated a long time on what to get and now some dude on the forums weeeed all over your self-assurance. It's fine, no worries, no need to panic lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back