the power supply makes a difference
Jan 7, 2005 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
So I just got a new power supply, Antec Phantom 350W (fanless) to test against my Fortron 350W (120mm fan). Obviously fanless has less noise but on another note, the sound quality was a bit better. The highs were a bit clearer.

Now I'm not recommending the Antec but just saying these things seem to make some kind of difference sonically. The Antec is too expensive at $199 retail and is fanless which maybe tricky for some systems. I use 4 external harddrives and DVD burner (in firewire cases). My case fans are externally powered as well to avoid electrical noise pumping back into my system from the motors.

Power conditiong and a power cord still makes a larger difference to me than between these two power supplies. I'd like to try a Seasonic next.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 25
Word, i have an Antec TruePower 380W. I build my system with sound in mind (because i'm also a speaker guy). And I got the Sonata w/ the 380 watt PSU. 2x120mm fans spinning at LOW rpm's and my pabst cpu 92mm fan spins at 1000 rpm (cools my overclock just fine). Plus tucking the Case into a corner under the desk helps out sound a lot.

But efficient powersupply's like you said DO clean up a lot of noise generated throughout the system. this isnt really "new" news Lan.

What some Mobo's can do is AGP and FSB spread spectrum adjustments where they eliminate A LOT of noise. If your mobo can do 1% or .5%, DO IT, a lot more noise/interference reduction combined w/ a good PSU.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 25
I have the Antec Sonata case also, very quiet, and good psu. Power is always important in any audio envrionment.

As for the spread spectrum, I'm not 100% sure about that, never heard that before, most people suggest to leave it disabled, for better performance, is there any 'proof' that spread spectrum affects audio?

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I'm not 100% sure about that, never heard that before, most people suggest to leave it disabled, for better performance, is there any 'proof' that spread spectrum affects audio?

It's SUPPOSED to cut down on the RF interference, but it's a YMMV deal if it actually makes a difference in your system.

As you mentioned, though, it can occasionally have other side effects, especially if overclocking.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 25
I thought spread spectrum just shifts the noise around so as not to create some peaks on the harmonic of the base frequency? I figure it's still noise whether is high in one area or spread out.

Yes it's not new news but I think there are other things like I mentioned like power conditioning and a powercord for the computer which make a larger difference in my experience. Of course if you have a generic PSU in your computer, then an upgrade may be needed there.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 25
I bought the Antec Phantom 350W for my system (which uses an Antec Sonata) and while I cannot comment on the sound quality (since I use an external DAC which is connected to a P300), it is silent and the voltages are very stable. It's an excellent power supply (it handles the 2500+ @2.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 3 optical drives, 2 15K drives and the SATA RAID1 without difficulty). I am amazed at its efficiency and build quality.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
It's an excellent power supply (it handles the 2500+ @2.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 3 optical drives, 2 15K drives and the SATA RAID1 without difficulty). I am amazed at its efficiency and build quality.

You're able to run all that off a 350? What video card are you using?

I'm probably going to have to replace my older Antec 350, because I think I'm throwing too much on it; it acts up occasionally.

(2400+, three -it was four- PATA drives, 2 opticals, and a 9700 Pro)

I even went down to 2 80mm case fans after yanking one of the HDs, but it still gives me trouble.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to put my PS upgrade ahead of a replacement for my dying decade-old V6s....

I'll probably end up picking up a Thermaltake or another Antec.
A PC Power & Cooling PS would be tops, but would blow my budget.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 25
9800 Pro (Ultimate by Sapphire - it's fanless) BIOS hacked to 9800XT running @ 418/365. I'm also running a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR, RME DIGI 96/8 PAD, M-Audio Transit, a Highpoint SATA RAID card, an Adaptec 29160 SCSI adaptor and I only have a Panaflo 80L1A (with Thermalright SLK-800 HS) on the CPU and a Panaflo 120L1A as the system fan. THe mobo is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Rev. 2.0 (keep in mind the 4 hard disks and 3 optical drives). It's just a d@mn efficient PSU.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
9800 Pro (Ultimate by Sapphire - it's fanless) BIOS hacked to 9800XT running @ 418/365.

Hmm. So your vid card is drawing as much power as mine (mine is an actual ATI, so it just has the small ATI fan).

Oh, well. I was figuring I would have to beef up my PS anyways for when I finally switch over to A64 sometime this year....

I believe that's enough of a sidetrack for this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 25
I think the Phantom proves that efficiency is as important as sheer wattage; think about it: a loud 450W PSU @ 65% efficiency or a 350W PSU @ 85% that is silent!
smily_headphones1.gif

450 @ 65% = ~ 300W and 350 @ 85% = ~ 300W!

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 25
the way the power is distributed is important, too; power supplies differ in which voltage rails they deliver it to. Two equally efficient 350W power supplies could give vastly different results if one was made in such a way that it dumped half its output into the 12V rail, or something
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Two equally efficient 350W power supplies could give vastly different results if one was made in such a way that it dumped half its output into the 12V rail, or something
smily_headphones1.gif

After looking up the specs on the Phantom, I see what you're saying
biggrin.gif

It's putting a lot more into the 12V rail than mine is, that's for sure.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 25
Lots of stuff in your computer NeilPeart. That's great it's all working fine.
cool.gif

I need to rework my case airflow. It's a little bit lacking now with the Phantom.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 25
insulin: processors run off the 3.3V rail, as do graphics cards and anything else on the PCI bus. The only significant thing running on 12V is drives.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
insulin: processors run off the 3.3V rail, as do graphics cards and anything else on the PCI bus. The only significant thing running on 12V is drives.

Modern processors have their voltage regulated from +12V and before that +5V was commonly used. I don't have any hard facts regarding graphics cards, but I'm almost certain their voltage is regulated from +5V or +12V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back