The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #691 of 1,969

I wouldn't hesitate getting the Pono. You'll need to make sure your files are properly tagged or use playlists but imo the UI is very good. Pretty responsive and uncluttered. No EQ if that matters to you but I never use EQ anyway; prefer to hear the files direct. Don't recommend the Pono software though. Its needed for firmware updates but after that you can directly transfer files to the Pono over usb. 5 hours batt life sounds about right for balanced mode; its worth it!

Haven't heard the X5 but I've tried the X3 and also have an iBasso (DX100) and iFi iDSD Micro amp. Barely touched either since getting the Pono almost 2 months ago. I may even end up selling one or both as a result and I paid double for each what the Pono cost me.

NOTHING can touch the Pono in balanced mode for portable play! Single ended sounds great too but if you have some higher end headphones and/or plan to use them balanced in the future (highly recommended), I say definitely get the Pono.

Fry's even has it on sale again for $249 today:
http://images.frys.com/art/email/062915_mon530lsa/mon_web.html?site=cemail062915
(scroll down on the right; need emailed daily discount code after signing up for their mail list)
still in stock as I write this

Thanks a lot for the code.  Used it.  Not a bad deal.  Hopefully.  

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #694 of 1,969

how's the unbalanced mode. Just get it painted lol

Unbalanced is not bad at all but with my 846s, the balanced sounds sublime. I now listen to the Pono almost exclusively on the balanced 846s (don't have balanced cables for my Audeze el8 and Roxannes) 

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #695 of 1,969

Unbalanced is not bad at all but with my 846s, the balanced sounds sublime. I now listen to the Pono almost exclusively on the balanced 846s (don't have balanced cables for my Audeze el8 and Roxannes) 
I have 9000 tracks. Is it sluggish to go through the list? I have a fiio X1 and it's a nightmare to scroll through.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #696 of 1,969
Well,  I'll be a jerk and ask why are you carrying around 9000 tracks on your DAP? 
very_evil_smiley.gif
But to answer your question the Pono UI is not very fast nor easily searchable if you wish to hunt for tracks.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #697 of 1,969
@Photoman, will agree with Ableza. The Pono UI is sluggish and unpredictable. Not easy to search music or edit playlists. Doesn't stop me from using it as my primary DAP because of how musical it sounds (I use my iPhone6+ with Chord Hugo or CLAS+ALOCV3 as my other "portable" option :) )

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #698 of 1,969
@Photoman, will agree with Ableza. The Pono UI is sluggish and unpredictable. Not easy to search music or edit playlists. Doesn't stop me from using it as my primary DAP because of how musical it sounds (I use my iPhone6+ with Chord Hugo or CLAS+ALOCV3 as my other "portable" option :) )
Oh boy just paid $250 for it. I thought the slider work real good?

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #699 of 1,969
Doubt you will regret the $250, nothing that I have heard comes close in SQ up to 3X the price.

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #700 of 1,969
One question: How can you have a serious player at any level without some form of EQ?  

I will never consider a Pono without frequency compensation for different listening levels. Fletcher and Munson settled the issue 80 years ago: You need EQ if you have volume control. Pono is not listening.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #701 of 1,969
Never use EQ...how can you have any serious listening WITH EQ?

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #702 of 1,969

Unbalanced is also very good but you may find yourself close to full volume on some headphones. Rarely get past half vol in balanced.

Plus I wouldn't mind having a second Pono (black) as a backup. You know something is good when you wanna stock up on them.

One question: How can you have a serious player at any level without some form of EQ?  

I will never consider a Pono without frequency compensation for different listening levels. Fletcher and Munson settled the issue 80 years ago: You need EQ if you have volume control. Pono is not listening.

Pono doesn't need it. Thanks to the way it was engineered, everything scales nicely depending on the volume. Its also the only portable I have with NO gain setting (again, doesn't need it). 

+1

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #703 of 1,969

I am not kidding.

80 years ago Fletcher and Munson clearly knew more than today's audiophiles.  

Unless you listen at all material at the optimum SPL you MUST have frequency compensation.  No way around it.

If Fletcher or Munson were around today, they would  say: If you have a volume control, you MUST have EQ.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #704 of 1,969
I think what you're referring to is dynamic equalization. Here's a link from Audyssey:

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/forums/84181/entries/73283.html

I've personally heard it, use it in my theater room, and think it's great for movies where you want to have a consistent bass level, regardless of what volume you have the movie playback. However, even the author concludes that music will often need to be set to a different reference point. And I think you're getting into science beyond the level of "Pono Player Impressions". The Pono does not have equalization. End of story. Do I love the Pono sound - absolutely!

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #705 of 1,969
Balanced mode gives about 3.5 hrs.

Listening to good music with quality production
via decent headphones leaves no need at all for equalization.  
(hey, what's this loudness button for?   
angry_face.gif
 )

cheers,
jhv   
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back