The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #676 of 1,969
I have a x1 but I also have 9000 songs and that turn wheel is a mess.

That helps a lot, actually...If you're not a fan of the turn-wheel, and you've got a library that size, I'm not sure that the slightly better tactile feedback (only read about) on the newer models is going to help you much

Pono's UI has an, what do these folks call it?  I don't know, an alphabet-thumber?  I'm taking credit for that..

Swift, lean, operation on Pono's UI...People do complain about the lack of EQ, maybe, but, Pono's UI is spartan and quick, and has all the basics covered, IMO.

It does the job...YMMV.

I know H20 has the X3ii...much more knowledgeable on how much they've improved the wheel in practice.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #677 of 1,969
Don't know about the X3ii, have the original, hated the UI, wound up giving it to my daughter, went to the DX90 (better), now hardly use that, Pono most of the time (will be getting an LH Wave, see how that compares...)

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #678 of 1,969
Comparing the Pono to the Fiio X5 using Oppo pm-3's led me to the purchase.  I felt that the hard margins that were noticed in the sound-stage fell away and led to a more natural (musical) experience.  Much more articulate and engaging.

Searching for balanced cables with the pm-3's was nothing but frustrating as Oppo does not make any and let it be up to 3rd parties to develop.  I started looking only to find many of the companies cables were going to cost more than I paid for the Pono.  My neighbor said he would make me a cable as he was sure it would improve the sound.  He had done a lot of pro-audio work so I took him up on his generous offer.  I thought the difference would be subtle...

The sound-stage improved with more detail, well defined low end and many other descriptors I could expound upon but will not.  One more thing letting me hear what the pono can do and do well.  [ please note this is kudos to balanced cables and not to stupid-crazy-expensive wiring ]

cheers, 

beerchug.gif

jhv

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #679 of 1,969
  Comparing the Pono to the Fiio X5 using Oppo pm-3's led me to the purchase.  I felt that the hard margins that were noticed in the sound-stage fell away and led to a more natural (musical) experience.  Much more articulate and engaging.

Searching for balanced cables with the pm-3's was nothing but frustrating as Oppo does not make any and let it be up to 3rd parties to develop.  I started looking only to find many of the companies cables were going to cost more than I paid for the Pono.  My neighbor said he would make me a cable as he was sure it would improve the sound.  He had done a lot of pro-audio work so I took him up on his generous offer.  I thought the difference would be subtle...

The sound-stage improved with more detail, well defined low end and many other descriptors I could expound upon but will not.  One more thing letting me hear what the pono can do and do well.  [ please note this is kudos to balanced cables and not to stupid-crazy-expensive wiring ]

cheers, 

beerchug.gif

jhv

I agree 100% with the difference in balanced mode over SE. Not subtle at all (same as with my Sony Z7 and the Pono).

Got my PM-3 balanced cable from John over at Surf Cables today. PERFECT combo with the Pono! Definitely worth the time, money, and research to get a balanced cable.

Single-ended, the Pono had a hard time pushing the PM-3 to its potential (even at close to 100% volume) but I never imagined the PM-3 could have such soundstage (along with the other improvements) balanced. Rarely go past 50% volume now.

Can't think of a more neutral, powerful, and portable combo than these two. Gotta be one of the better ways to hear music as it was recorded.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #680 of 1,969
Actually that depends on the type of sound your looking for. After having PM-3 two times and returning them both I realized their sound was not for me. It depends on the environment you are listening to the PM-3 in. For a portable can there are better options to listen to on the go, however I do agree in a quiet environment they are damn good, kinda defeats the portable side of things. The X2 is also great in that environment.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #681 of 1,969
Actually that depends on the type of sound your looking for. After having PM-3 two times and returning them both I realized their sound was not for me. It depends on the environment you are listening to the PM-3 in. For a portable can there are better options to listen to on the go, however I do agree in a quiet environment they are damn good, kinda defeats the portable side of things. The X2 is also great in that environment.

Seems all us PM-3 owners went through that.

They're not THE headphone for every sound but, in reality, no headphone is.

What the PM-3 is most important for, imo, is accuracy. Whatever may be "missing" is just not supposed to be there (or either an issue with the file/source end).

That's not always the most fun way to hear music but there are plenty of other headphones (and EQ) to have fun with. I think having a neutral yet enjoyable setup is much harder to accomplish.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #683 of 1,969

cheers, 

:beerchug:

jhv
what is the battery life on pono player?

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #688 of 1,969
trying to make a decision between the pono player and fiio x5 2nd. How you like the UI?

I wouldn't hesitate getting the Pono. You'll need to make sure your files are properly tagged or use playlists but imo the UI is very good. Pretty responsive and uncluttered. No EQ if that matters to you but I never use EQ anyway; prefer to hear the files direct. Don't recommend the Pono software though. Its needed for firmware updates but after that you can directly transfer files to the Pono over usb. 5 hours batt life sounds about right for balanced mode; its worth it!

Haven't heard the X5 but I've tried the X3 and also have an iBasso (DX100) and iFi iDSD Micro amp. Barely touched either since getting the Pono almost 2 months ago. I may even end up selling one or both as a result and I paid double for each what the Pono cost me.

NOTHING can touch the Pono in balanced mode for portable play! Single ended sounds great too but if you have some higher end headphones and/or plan to use them balanced in the future (highly recommended), I say definitely get the Pono.

Fry's even has it on sale again for $249 today:
http://images.frys.com/art/email/062915_mon530lsa/mon_web.html?site=cemail062915
(scroll down on the right; need emailed daily discount code after signing up for their mail list)
still in stock as I write this

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #690 of 1,969
trying to make a decision between the pono player and fiio x5 2nd. How you like the UI?

The UI works fine.  Don't expect smart phone level software functionality, however.  It has few features
but is simple and easy to get used to.  So nothing special, but no problems either.  IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back