the philips shl5500: natural sounding can.
Jan 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #137 of 145
Actually My pick of the PHILLIPS range of headhphones under a $100 is the SHL3300 DJ Cans!!! Amazing for the price! Its actually on sale in Australia at the moment at TARGET for $49! It obvously doesnt beat my Audio Techinica ATH PRO700 MKII in overall sound quality but is more lighter and therefore more suited for portable use!

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #138 of 145
Bought the SHL 9700 for 24€ on amazon.fr. An absolute steal!

They're not the warmest or smoothest sounding cans, but they're incredibly transparent and detailed. The midrange and highs are definitily the spotlights. The bass is very neutral, but it only comes alive after some burn-in. The highs are also a bit harsh upon first listen. They need to burn.

Just be aware that they do not isolate very well (almost nothing in fact).

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #139 of 145
Just got a fidelio X1 today!! Amazing! Sennheisser HD650 may need to be sold...lol! As Tyll from Inner Fidelity said these are indeed open backed bass head cans! Well done phillips! Can't wait for the X2

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #141 of 145
Actually My pick of the PHILLIPS range of headhphones under a $100 is the SHL3300 DJ Cans!!! Amazing for the price! Its actually on sale in Australia at the moment at TARGET for $49! It obvously doesnt beat my Audio Techinica ATH PRO700 MKII in overall sound quality but is more lighter and therefore more suited for portable use!

Hi, I noticed you also have a pair of Superlux 668b. How do they compare to the Philips shl3300? I was checking out the Shl5500 but I think Shl3300 are getting better reviews.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #142 of 145
Well the Shl 3300 is a V shaped can and the superlux 668b is a more balanced can. If I want clarity and don't mind boosting the lows a little on the EQ then the superlux is good! Plugged into a phone directly then I'd recommend the shl3300. Also have a look out for the new model shl3265. I think it's the replacement for the shl 3300. The superlux is also more comfortable. The 3300's squash your ears abit after an hour or so.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #143 of 145
Well the Shl 3300 is a V shaped can and the superlux 668b is a more balanced can. If I want clarity and don't mind boosting the lows a little on the EQ then the superlux is good! Plugged into a phone directly then I'd recommend the shl3300. Also have a look out for the new model shl3265. I think it's the replacement for the shl 3300. The superlux is also more comfortable. The 3300's squash your ears abit after an hour or so.

Im sorry i don't get what v shaped means, do you mean the mids aren't good? I have a superlux hd330 so I have an idea how clear superluxes can be. instrument separation is great with this hp but it sounds really congested in some songs. Does the shl3300 have good soundstage?

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #144 of 145
Uhm yeah v shaped means recessed mids but nothing too bad on the shl 3300's. In terms of soundstage I believe it's the way the sound engineer records the track haha but ymmv. I listen to a lot of live albums and I remember not being disappointed while the Sohl 3300's were on my head. It's a really fun headphone to listen to.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #145 of 145
It was interesting rereading this thread after so long. 

My Senns have been my go to since 1993.  But those tweaked HD580s (HD600 grills and HD650 cable) finally got to the point where they no longer made sense to repair so I bought a new pair of HD600s this past December (which I fit with a 6' NewFantasia cable). Not bad for well over two decades of usage!  To my ears they sounded the same so I'm once again a happy camper.  I did also elevate this with the addition of a Schiit "stack" to drive them.  Very very nice.

But more to the point of this thread.  I never was much of a DAP guy.  I had (have) a decade old Samsung 512Mb YEPP MP3/FM tiny portable I used with my AKG K81DJs when exercising back in the day.  Still have them with replacement earpads and a HD25 headband pad affixed to buffer the metal band from my bald head.   And yes, I'm still using and enjoying my Philips SHL5500 I acquired in late December 2011.  The pads are original and still supple.  The hinges work just fine, thank you, and have developed NO cracks.  They sound great out of my xDuoo X3 too.  No they're not in the league of the HD600s but they're much more comfortable than the K81DJs and don't exhibit the over the top bass of them either.  Bottomline, as so many said early in this thread, they're very pleasant sounding (inoffensive if you must), comfortable, work great for portable out and about use (with their short 4' / 1.2m flat cable), and back then great bang for the buck (mine being just ~$25 shipped).  They were also said to be voiced essentially the same as the later Citiscape Downtown model which also used a similar if not identical 40mm driver and found favor with Tyll at Innerfidelity.

Never had heard any of the newer and more upscale Philips cans but based on these I definately would give them a solid look see were I in the market for something solid to augment by Senns
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back