The PENON official thread
Feb 23, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #13,127 of 13,885
Just wanted to add that if you are picking up the CS02 cable, I recommend requesting Penon to install ear hooks/guides. Even though it's a soft cable, it's not flexible enough to easily drape down behind my ears from the connectors. I think I might've broke one of the connections because I lost sound on one side trying to bend the cables.

Luckily, Penon was able to install new ear hooks for me when I sent them in for repair. I don't like ear hooks on some cables, but I much prefer the CS02 with ear hooks than without.
A good and justified reason to order this cable with behind-the-ear hooks. A great detail on your part.

Thank you! 👍🏻

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #13,128 of 13,885
@Dsnuts assuming the Renata will emphasis the imaging and details of the Penon Impact, will it be overkill? how does it affect the bass region?
thanks
Finally was able to test out the Renata on the Impacts. Renata is an excellent match on the Impacts. My guessimate about how the stock Obsidian cable performs vs the Renata was right. Obsidian was chosen by Penon to bring its juicy mids into play for the Impact hence it is not the best when it comes to technical aspects of the Impact.

When you are using 14 drivers for an IEM one would assume being technical is not an issue. However the obsidian cable is more copper based and one that also uses some gold plating. Its not the best for enhancing stage or technial elements like sound separation, imaging and detail. The Renata is using some silver in the mix here instead of gold plating. Hence it will definitely sound more expansive and not be as mid forward sounding as the Obsidian cable does for the Impact. Bass emphasis on the impact has no degradation vs the Obsidian cable but since the stage expands and sounds more spacious I feel bass is a bit better defined in comparison. This is the first time I have tried the Renata on the Impact and it is indeed an excellent match up with the Impacts. It is when you go back to the Obsidian cable that I can tell just how good the Renata synergizes with the Impacts. Using the Obsidian cable on the Impacts makes them sound a bit confined in comparison.

If your considering a new cable. Thumbs up on the Renata on the Impacts. Its definitely a good match.

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #13,129 of 13,885
Question for those who really know. Maybe only @Penon can accurately answer, not sure.

Is Penon pronounced with a hard "e" (ie, Pee-non) or a soft "e" (ie, Peh-non)? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #13,131 of 13,885
Question for those who really know. Maybe only @Penon can accurately answer, not sure.

Is Penon pronounced with a hard "e" (ie, Pee-non) or a soft "e" (ie, Peh-non)? Inquiring mind wants to know.
1708723515727.png

If you pronounce Penon with an IE it would be one of these the Pinon nut. I pronounce them as Pen on. Why Penon and something like Odysius or something grand? Why not? Penon is a good a name as any. I have never gotten a reason why they named the company Penon. Maybe it has a secret meaning. Maybe Mr chi Kong Hui loves his Pinon nuts.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #13,132 of 13,885
1708723515727.png

If you pronounce Penon with an IE it would be one of these the Pinon nut. I pronounce them as Pen on. Why Penon and something like Odysius or something grand? Why not? Penon is a good a name as any. I have never gotten a reason why they named the company Penon. Maybe it has a secret meaning. Maybe Mr chi Kong Hui loves his Pinon nuts.
This was sort of how I've been going, but at a head fi event, other guys were saying Peenon (which always made me feel like I had to pee). That's why I asked, but I'll stick with the dryer pronunciation:)

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #13,134 of 13,885
Yes, you can.

I don't need to go on youtube, as I have owned a ton of cables and heard the differences they can make for myself.
Wes when I saw you were using the Quattro I thought hmmm... a used pair for $250 lets give them a shot. Didn't like the stock cable, but I hadn't sold my Totem cable yet and use it with them and wow. What a combo. I'm letting them burn in and already like them much better than the Volt set I used to have. Glad I didn't sell my Totem cable!

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #13,135 of 13,885
Wes when I saw you were using the Quattro I thought hmmm... a used pair for $250 lets give them a shot. Didn't like the stock cable, but I hadn't sold my Totem cable yet and use it with them and wow. What a combo. I'm letting them burn in and already like them much better than the Volt set I used to have. Glad I didn't sell my Totem cable!
Quattro merits a great cable!

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #13,136 of 13,885
Finally picked up my first Penon, 10th Anniversary

Currently giving them a little bit more break in. But at first blush (Carlton22 already put about 50 hrs. into the 10ths), on my FiiO BTR7, the 10ths impress.

As a confirmed basshead, I was hesitant on the acquisition, as some reports are of a fast sub bass, akin to a BA. But the visceral sub bass has authority and enough decay/rebound to allay my concerns.

Thanks to @carlton22

Penon 10th.jpg

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #13,137 of 13,885
Finally picked up my first Penon, 10th Anniversary

Currently giving them a little bit more break in. But at first blush (Carlton22 already put about 50 hrs. into the 10ths), on my FiiO BTR7, the 10ths impress.

As a confirmed basshead, I was hesitant on the acquisition, as some reports are of a fast sub bass, akin to a BA. But the visceral sub bass has authority and enough decay/rebound to allay my concerns.

Thanks to @carlton22

Penon 10th.jpg
Great you're enjoying them. 😉 what's the cable you're using?

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #13,139 of 13,885
XINHS,
2-strand blue single crystal copper silver plated gold silver palladium copper upgrade wire mixed shielded cable
That's a mouthful

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #13,140 of 13,885
Neo1.jpg

Just finished evaluating the $39 ISN Neo1s - it's crazy what under $50 buys these days. You're invited to read the full review here. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back