The PENON official thread
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #13,111 of 13,922
Sorry @Redcarmoose, but in the end I got myself into trouble. So it is better to buy a silver alloy cable? I only intend to win in treble, that's all.

Thank you! 👍🏻
Well, it is not that simple, but as before in the PM when we talked the CS02 is really the match in use with the R3 II and Neo 5. That is your intended use, right? The CS02 won’t let you down!

Also the CS02 is a huge upgrade from the Neo 5 included S4 cable. Huge! I went and tested the RENATA, the CS02 and the S4 together with the R3 II and Neo 5 for you. Though the RENATA was the best, it’s pricy!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #13,112 of 13,922
Well, it is not that simple, but as before in the PM when we talked the CS02 is really the match in use with the R3 II and Neo 5. That is your intended use, right? The CS02 won’t let you down!

Also the CS02 is a huge upgrade from the Neo 5 included S4 cable. Huge! I went and tested the RENATA, the CS02 and the S4 together with the R3 II and Neo 5 for you. Though the RENATA was the best, it’s pricy!
Couldn't be better. That's what a great forum like this has, that people like you go ahead sowing.

Well nothing! Again thanks. 👍🏻

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #13,113 of 13,922
Couldn't be better. That's what a great forum like this has, that people like you go ahead sowing.

Well nothing! Again thanks. 👍🏻
Remember the questions always end up helping me way more, because I end-up learning. I may never have tried the trilogy of S4, CS02 and RENATA back to back with the same IEM and R3 II. So to hear them that way surprisingly made the S4 (that while still good) was way less vibrant than the CS02 roll in. Plus you have to remember the big daddy to the CS02 is the RENATA, which increased realism again to another level entirely. Yet the RENATA was big in size and somewhat a strange combo due to size with the HiBy micro-DAP. Where the CS02 and Neo 5 went great with the R3, and gained a slight edge of ergonomics, combined with the vivid sound response!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #13,115 of 13,922
Thanks! @Redcarmoose. Many of us will agree with you.😉

To all this, I know that I will soon go up a notch and end up buying an R6 III (I need the Poweramp player app).🤗 The IEMs maybe a set of...🤔 Quattro? 😄

Cheers!
It’s always heartwarming to see new folks fall into the rabbit hole.
9B2B0B28-F3FC-46CE-A021-CBB2409BACBD.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #13,117 of 13,922
I m new to penon and need to ask, which model would be closest to sounding like a jvc woodie: fw01, fwx1, 1800, etc? Many thx!
Penon's sister brand called ISN is what your looking for. I would start off with something like the NEO3, NEO5, EST50. Maybe the older ISN H40. You need to visit the ISN thread you can read about some of these. Generally Penon branded IEMs are more mids focussed IEMs, I would say something like Penons 10th anniversary is the closest to the JVC sound out of the line up. But I would start with ISN, it seems your a bass fan. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn...d-new-isn-neo-3.920551/page-328#post-17984771 I think you would be very impressed with the Penon 10th anniversary. Its Penons version of them JVC IEM but with better mids. Lol.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #13,118 of 13,922
Unfortunately, I accidentally ordered MMCX connectors for my Tripowin Amber instead of the 2-pin 0.78mm connectors that my IEMs have. Is it possible to exchange the cable? Thank you very much. Even if I have difficulties understanding the differences in IEM cables, I still think that silver, due to its characteristics, can indeed "spoil" the sound. Because it can sound harsh and lacking in bass if there is too much of it in the cable or if it is a pure silver cable

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #13,119 of 13,922
Thanks again for your support. I have several models of eartips and I am not complaining, I will buy some more from Penon. But now tell me: if you have the S12 Pro model IEM, try the dark gray or black silicone tips that come standard, and if yes, say what you think about all this.

I have already decided on the cable: the CS02. Very grateful for your favor.
Just wanted to add that if you are picking up the CS02 cable, I recommend requesting Penon to install ear hooks/guides. Even though it's a soft cable, it's not flexible enough to easily drape down behind my ears from the connectors. I think I might've broke one of the connections because I lost sound on one side trying to bend the cables.

Luckily, Penon was able to install new ear hooks for me when I sent them in for repair. I don't like ear hooks on some cables, but I much prefer the CS02 with ear hooks than without.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #13,120 of 13,922
Penon's sister brand called ISN is what your looking for. I would start off with something like the NEO3, NEO5, EST50. Maybe the older ISN H40. You need to visit the ISN thread you can read about some of these. Generally Penon branded IEMs are more mids focussed IEMs, I would say something like Penons 10th anniversary is the closest to the JVC sound out of the line up. But I would start with ISN, it seems your a bass fan. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn...d-new-isn-neo-3.920551/page-328#post-17984771 I think you would be very impressed with the Penon 10th anniversary. Its Penons version of them JVC IEM but with better mids. Lol.
Not really a basshead. I like warm, big, smooth. Nice timbre. Does this narrow it down for you? Thx

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #13,121 of 13,922
Just wanted to add that if you are picking up the CS02 cable, I recommend requesting Penon to install ear hooks/guides. Even though it's a soft cable, it's not flexible enough to easily drape down behind my ears from the connectors. I think I might've broke one of the connections because I lost sound on one side trying to bend the cables.

Luckily, Penon was able to install new ear hooks for me when I sent them in for repair. I don't like ear hooks on some cables, but I much prefer the CS02 with ear hooks than without.
Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back