The PENON official thread
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #13,006 of 13,895
Just grabbed one of these with a new Renata!
You must have that insider purchasing power, as the RENATA is not published for sale yet.

Still one word to decribe the RENATA........insane. It is off the charts!

You will be pleasantly surprised just how big the Dongle sounds, especially compared to the anemic Apple Dongle! Just bigger in every direction and open with great imaging, literally better sounding (slightly) than the HiBy R3 II at a fraction of the price. Though in my personal experience the R3 II is the very best source, haven’t tried the Computer yet. But the R3 II hooks up with it’s Type-C on the bottom to be a file server to the Dongle. You will be pleasantly moved by how technology is advancing. It is these tiny images added up to big details (in effect) that shows up in use.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #13,007 of 13,895

Listening to this on my Fiio M15 and the Renata+Rhodium plug+ NEO3. Dayum! Love this combo.
DSC01560.JPG

One tip about the Renata. If you feel Quattro pairing sounds a bit dark sounding. Try the Rhodium plug. Cleans that up perfectly on the Quattro. Sounds even better with the NEO3. Very versatile cable. We will see what Penon sales these for.
DSC01564.JPG

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #13,008 of 13,895

Listening to this on my Fiio M15 and the Renata+Rhodium plug+ NEO3. Dayum! Love this combo.
DSC01560.JPG
One tip about the Renata. If you feel Quattro pairing sounds a bit dark sounding. Try the Rhodium plug. Cleans that up perfectly on the Quattro. Sounds even better with the NEO3. Very versatile cable. We will see what Penon sales these for.
DSC01564.JPG

I hope they're prized, competitive, and affordable.

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #13,009 of 13,895

DSC01560.JPG
DSC01564.JPG

What, if any, difference do you hear between rhodium and purple plugs, if you have that to try...very exciting and brilliant sound from Penon, firing on all cylinders!

I'm still loving Quattro with the EA Code 24,but will switch to Renata soon. Fine tuning Quattro has been fun. With so many great iems available right now, my 2 favorite sub $500 are without question Quattro and TSMR X.

Was lucky to snag one and like with so many others, it was 100 hours of burn, a cable and tip switch to make it pump. These 2 iems can be bought with a great cable (although I've heard interesting things about folks switching these 2 stock cables on each other!) for under $1000 and you could be done.

1000007452.jpg
1000007454.jpg

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #13,010 of 13,895
Why yes Jenifer, the Penon OS133 Dongle comes in either Lighting or USB Type-C..........and sure there is a size difference, but with that size difference comes a world of sound differences.
DSC_0124.jpegqwq.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #13,011 of 13,895
This Penon aftermarket tip combo with the ASOS is incredible with the Penon Globe. Take note if using USB from a computer the USB adapter is purchased aftermarket and comes in a range of sizes, shown here is large.

DSC_0133.jpegas.jpeg
DSC_0138.jpegs.jpeg
DSC_0139.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_0146.jpegs.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #13,012 of 13,895
What, if any, difference do you hear between rhodium and purple plugs, if you have that to try...very exciting and brilliant sound from Penon, firing on all cylinders!

I'm still loving Quattro with the EA Code 24,but will switch to Renata soon. Fine tuning Quattro has been fun. With so many great iems available right now, my 2 favorite sub $500 are without question Quattro and TSMR X.

Was lucky to snag one and like with so many others, it was 100 hours of burn, a cable and tip switch to make it pump. These 2 iems can be bought with a great cable (although I've heard interesting things about folks switching these 2 stock cables on each other!) for under $1000 and you could be done.

1000007452.jpg1000007454.jpg
The Rhodium plug is all about transparency and adds a slight energy toward the trebles. The Palladium aka purple plug is just as detailed as the Rhodium plug but has a touch of energy toward the bass. Palladium sounds more neutral in what it does vs the Rhodium plug. Rhodium offsets the slight warmth of the Renata which synergizes better with the Quattros added warmth. Purple plug is kind of a middle ground from the OFC plug and Rhodium plug. I think the OFC plug would match extremely well with something that is more bright leaning cable wise. Pure silver or even the stock cable that came with the TSMR-X for example.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #13,013 of 13,895
I don't want to spill the beans just yet, but this will come out in the review shortly, that this OS133 Dongle is higher resolution than many full fledged DAPs? And I have been judging gear like the APPLE Dongle for years as.........not so great, so I somehow find it hard to believe we are now here in 2024?

DSC_0131.jpegdone.jpeg

DSC_0119.jpegasasas.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #13,014 of 13,895
I don't want to spill the beans just yet, but this will come out in the review shortly, that this Dongle is higher resolution than many full fledged DAPs? And I have been judging gear like the APPLE Dongle for years as.........not so great, so I somehow find it hard to believe we are now here in 2024?

DSC_0131.jpegdone.jpeg
DSC_0119.jpegasasas.jpeg
But how does it sound out of a phone!?

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #13,015 of 13,895
But how does it sound out of a phone!?
Slightly less than the feed from a pure digital source, but still really good! Maybe it is that phones are busy doing other things, I don’t know, my review should come out tomorrow.

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #13,016 of 13,895
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #13,017 of 13,895
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #13,018 of 13,895
269$ Lol!
Sorry! But…….Liquid Nitrogen Single Crystal silver ??🤔
I’m not going to defend the RENATA....except? In fact the RENATA is a bargain when you look around at what is spent on audio, and what each part of the puzzle costs in the end. Though it is subjective to what you feel comfortable with spending. But you probably heard the saying, you get what you pay for?

News flash:
I just looked at the thousands of dollars you have towards equipment, obviously you know you have to pay to play. Maybe you’re simply not a cable believer?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #13,019 of 13,895
I’m not going to defend the RENATA....except? In fact the RENATA is a bargain when you look around at what is spent on audio, and what each part of the puzzle costs in the end. Though it is subjective to what you feel comfortable with spending. But you probably heard the saying, you get what you pay for?

News flash:
I just looked at the thousands of dollars you have towards equipment, obviously you know you have to pay to play. Maybe you’re simply not a cable believer?
I'm certainly a cable believer, but who on this thread can spend over £200 quid on a cable. The majority of members and particularly guests, who usually are the bulk of thread viewers, would like to know about them, but not over saturation. The Renata is nice looking but prohibitive in price....to ordinary people. There is no Penon product tour of the UK, even amongst Penon regulars/fans, so you might as well be talking about a slice of toast.

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #13,020 of 13,895
Yep, I’ve just started to skim past cable posts where it’s over £40. I’m fine paying £300 for an IEM but I’m not paying that for a cable, or even remotely close to that.

I haven’t had any experience in a cable changing anything myself, I’m very sceptical. But from what I’ve read, even believers say it’s a very minor adjustment in sound. If I had £200 to spend, I’d be looking at buying a better IEM, not using £200 for a very minor increase in sound quality (if that’s even a thing with cables).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back