The PENON official thread
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #11,806 of 14,142
Happy Monday! The new Penon Quattro, a 4XDD, has landed at my door!! I must admit that I don't jump at every opportunity these days because I'd be eating my cats food. But this one was just too much for me to pass on...even if i still deeply love my Serial and saw no need to replace it with what seemed a new take on it. But knowing that Penon knows what's going on in the market of iems, I figured this might be special because they must (?) have listened to other similar configurations that have been out since Serial, like Trifecta and the newer Monacha, such that an updated Serial would be disappointing.

I have only had them in my ears for an hour, which for a Penon means almost nothing - it's gonna take many many hours to burn in. It sounds better out of the box than did Serial, with the expected more powerful bass, but with an unusual amount of treble that Serial doesn't have.

I think it's way too early to judge, but I'm going to hazard a guess that Serial lovers will like this more, and folks who feel that Penon's other iems lean bright will be pleasantly surprised by the deeper bass than either Serial or 10th AE provide. I've not heard every Penon or ISN iem, but if those I have heard, this is certainly the deepest bass I've heard in one. I'm going to give it a lot of burn time before I can really figure it out, but deep, balanced, cohesive bass shaping the low end is currently being challenged by an exciting treble at the top end, and like most other Penons, vocals seem front and center in line with Serial.

Tbh, I'm pretty excited and see some fun listening ahead! Physically, they're pretty, with a nice blue faceplate, shells about the same size as 10th AE, a bright blue 4w cable I need to research, and otherwise standard Penon packaging with their tips which work great. Thanks, Penon for letting me get these just a bit early! My present to myself this month!

20231211_162150.jpg

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #11,807 of 14,142
Happy Monday! The new Penon Quattro, a 4XDD, has landed at my door!! I must admit that I don't jump at every opportunity these days because I'd be eating my cats food. But this one was just too much for me to pass on...even if i still deeply love my Serial and saw no need to replace it with what seemed a new take on it. But knowing that Penon knows what's going on in the market of iems, I figured this might be special because they must (?) have listened to other similar configurations that have been out since Serial, like Trifecta and the newer Monacha, such that an updated Serial would be disappointing.

I have only had them in my ears for an hour, which for a Penon means almost nothing - it's gonna take many many hours to burn in. It sounds better out of the box than did Serial, with the expected more powerful bass, but with an unusual amount of treble that Serial doesn't have.

I think it's way too early to judge, but I'm going to hazard a guess that Serial lovers will like this more, and folks who feel that Penon's other iems lean bright will be pleasantly surprised by the deeper bass than either Serial or 10th AE provide. I've not heard every Penon or ISN iem, but if those I have heard, this is certainly the deepest bass I've heard in one. I'm going to give it a lot of burn time before I can really figure it out, but deep, balanced, cohesive bass shaping the low end is currently being challenged by an exciting treble at the top end, and like most other Penons, vocals seem front and center in line with Serial.

Tbh, I'm pretty excited and see some fun listening ahead! Physically, they're pretty, with a nice blue faceplate, shells about the same size as 10th AE, a bright blue 4w cable I need to research, and otherwise standard Penon packaging with their tips which work great. Thanks, Penon for letting me get these just a bit early! My present to myself this month!

How are male vocals on this compared to serials and fan 2? Also @Leviathant.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #11,808 of 14,142

20231211_162150.jpg

Burn in balances the sound much better than open listen. Smooths that treble end and tightens the bass end. I agree they sound way better out of the box than the Serial ever did but you better believe they get better with burn in.

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #11,809 of 14,142
1702391218416.png

Ok, ive pass thru most of my audio source and it's evident that Night Oblivion Butastur are source picky and sensitive to output impedance. This will inflict mostly on macro dynamic balance, transparency, imaging. The pairing with Xduoo X20 (0.1ohm of impedance) is so mesmerizing...i mean, its a DAP i dont enjoy tonality that much, find it cold and lean most of time but not with Butastur wich unleash its clean holographic multi layering imaging capacity that is so captivating....and the mid range blossom even more too...those are master of timbre multi BA which is dense, tactile, textured yet transparent.
Piano,saxo, vocal, all sound full bodied and multi layered in intimate yet extremely rich with sound info soundscape....
Man, it take me sometime to finaly trigger the magnificence of these but im here. The ear tips is Fan2 blue wide bore which i tend to use with multi BA, planar or big nozzle with hole...
Tbh, i prefer those above 64audio U18T which was more muddy and blurry, perhaps due to over abuse of open BA that unleash subtle euphony....
SOund value is high with the Butastur. American Spirit achieve something great, its an IEM that grow and grow in you, it dont force high resolution on listener with crazy treble boost, its all smooth and effortless...at least with the tuning switch bass up treble down...i need to test more other switch but i would be OK with this one only too.

It seem (as Dsnt noted) that they are cable sensitive a bit too....for now i enjoy stock one, Simgot LC7 and Hakugei Tacables White poeny with it...

You see in the back the Oriveti OH700VB...not sure it worth comparison even if i love the OH700VB its too different, way bassier and warmer.

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #11,810 of 14,142
Burn in balances the sound much better than open listen. Smooths that treble end and tightens the bass end. I agree they sound way better out of the box than the Serial ever did but you better believe they get better with burn in.
Update with 20 hours, and the tightening you mention is happening, making it seem unbelievably cohesive. I think it seriously betters 10th in treble, adds some meat to its mids, and still has thunder where it exists. But back to the burn rig it goes!

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #11,811 of 14,142
Quattro has arrived.

Penon Quattro.jpg

Penon Quattro-4.jpg

Penon Quattro-3.jpg

Penon Quattro-1.jpg

Penon Quattro-2.jpg

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #11,812 of 14,142
How the heck y'all getting the Quattro before it's even on sale?
:*(
I would love to buy one...

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #11,813 of 14,142
You have to contact Penon support and ask nicely.

1702423213029.png

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #11,814 of 14,142
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #11,815 of 14,142
I’ve been refreshing the store a couple times a day waiting lol right there with ya.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #11,816 of 14,142
Quattro has arrived.

Penon Quattro.jpg
Penon Quattro-4.jpg
Penon Quattro-3.jpg
Penon Quattro-1.jpg
Penon Quattro-2.jpg
You guys don't ask for earhooks on your cables? Without them the ISN and PENON cables I don't use .

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #11,817 of 14,142
You guys don't ask for earhooks on your cables? Without them the ISN and PENON cables I don't use .
Preach, Monk, preach! Ear hooks make every cable easier to use, IMO

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #11,818 of 14,142
I don't like earhooks, so no.

Wish Effect Audio cables came without them but the 2 EA cables I own have them and might be even more unwieldy if they didn't have them since they're 8 wires.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #11,819 of 14,142
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #11,820 of 14,142
i was... unaware that was something i could ask for... but i will from now on lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back