The past and the future of Meier-Audio
May 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Jan Meier

King Corda
Member of the Trade: Meier Audio
Dear headfellows,

People who check my website more frequently may have noticed that over the last few months various models became sold-out and have not yet been replaced. This has led to many speculations and questions whether or not I will continue to produce headphone-amplifiers.

Please be assured. New amplifiers are in the pipeline and sales will certainly continue. The main reason for having such little stock is, that winter sales have been extremely good and that there simply wasn’t any time left for designing new models.

Nonetheless, the sales-program in future will be a little bit smaller than it used to be. I’ve decided to stop working 60 hrs a week and give quality of life a higher priority. Sales will be reduced (almost 2000 amplifiers last year!) and that only can be done by limiting the number of models sold. For instance HEADSIX/XXS as well as the SWING (after it has been sold-out) will not be replaced. I will concentrate on more innovative designs that use digital volume controls, active balanced ground, crossfeed (except for the STEPDANCE successor) and other upcoming innovations. That’s more fun then producing amplifiers that are more conventional in design and technique. Nonetheless I will continue keeping my prices as affordable as possible. CORDA amplifiers have a tradition of providing fine value-for-money. That will not be changed. (The current poor exchange rate of the Dollar does put a lot of pressure on the Dollar-prices though!).

It’s not the first time that I had to rethink my business-model. Although it originally wasn’t planned as a real company Meier-Audio has grown from a small hobby into a full-time job. In the beginning only DIY-kits for headphone amplifiers were produced, accompanied by the selling of headphones. The latter was lucrative because at that time the dollar was strong and the headphone prices in Europe relatively low. Soon assembled amplifiers were produced (by hand!) and at a given time selling headphones was dropped to keep the work-load manageable. Sales still continued to grow and a few years later production was given in the hands of an external company. Now I only make the designs, do the quality-control and sell the ready units.

People may argue, that I should consider hiring people to handle the increasing work. However, this would require serious investments in finances (wages) and infrastructure (office space). The market for headphone amplifiers is in my opinion too limited and too divided between many small one-man companies to take the risks. Sometimes it’s much better to stay small. Makes me sleep much better.

All yours,

Jan

May 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 70
Thanks for the update.

popcorn.gif

May 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 70
I have been enjoying the Corda Opera since I signed up at Head-Fi. Thanks for this great product. I'm looking forward to find out what the new Corda products will offer.

May 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 70
Jan,

I look forward to learning about and maybe even sampling some of your new offerings.  I fully applaud and support your decision to limit the size and scope of your business.  I see too may good ideas/companies ruined by a blind pursuit of growth at all costs.  I think you're making a wise choice and I hope you benefit - both in income and quality of life - from your choice.

May 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 70
Hey Jan,

Wondering if you might contemplate on doing a balanced amp/dac similar to audio-gd? Anyway, I'll be interesting to see what you come up with. As spoiler, do you reckon you could give us an approximate date of when you might release some products? Will be keeping an  eye on a DAC to  pair my concerto :)

May 3, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 70
Jan,

I am glad that you are enjoying life and work at the same time (not many people can, unfortunately...)
Look forward to your future offerings!!

May 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 70
Hi Jan,

My first really good headphone amp was the HA-2 Mk II. I will never forget it. It opened my mind to what was really possible from headphones. I have enjoyed many a Meier Audio product since that time, and continue to enjoy the Stepdance.

But I also applaud your decision to focus more on quality of life. There is, after all, only so much time we all get. I am certain that you will enjoy the new phase of Meier Audio, and I hope you revel in the new phase of being Jan Meier :wink:

All the best,

Rob

May 4, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 70
Dr. Meier, go enjoy life. You deserve it. And maybe we can persuade you to attend a CanJam - I doubt you'd have to buy a drink for yourself. :)

Keep up the good work and I'll look forward to your new designs.

And many, many thanks for your continued support of Head-Fi. :)

Prost!

May 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #14 of 70
Yep, Dr. Meier, do enjoy life to its fullest. I'll still pick up the next Stepdance whenever it comes out, be there next month or next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back