The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,216 of 2,849
To me it actually doesn't matter one bit. 
To each his own I say. I just offered another philosophical aspect on thing. 

For those who have fun doing the mods, the money is well spent no matter what you mod or how much you spend.
However, for someone who doesn't enjoy it all that much and still actually does it for the reason I described above, the end result would still justify the money and time spent.

For example, if I've spend $120 retail on the SRH440's and during the time owning them, I realized that I'm in-love with the sound they produce, how well they adjust with Equing, how better they even sound amped but still produce and very good sound straight from a portable device. However, what I've also realized is that while the cable is detachable, it's very long, heavy and coiled. So while it's good for the PC, studio and monitoring front, it's not so good for the portable one. Further, the pads on the 440's are tad thin, at least for me. So this made the experience a bit of a pain after 1-2 hours of wear.  So, I personally don't like to mod, and not a big tech/mod savvy. I'm sure I can get into it if I really wanted, but I don't, I simply don't like it enough. However, I can still manage to pay $20.00 for the 840's pads, or if I feel like it, buy the velour 940's pads, which are very comfy as-well. Also, for another $10 - $15 I can buy the straight cable, which is still long, then mod it and make it shorter, and reattach the original terminal.  So on a $120.00 can, let's say I end up spending another $40.00 so I end up with $160.00 spent on $120 headphones..  Someone can easily come and say, 'hey, with that money you could've gotten the Audio Technica ATHM50 or Sennheiser HD555 or 598 or even the Grado SR80i ...

The point is.. if I wanted those, I would have bought them.. But I prefer the 440's over all of them. So to me, it's money and effort well spent.

But hey, that's just me.

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,217 of 2,849
On another note, I've been reading quite a bit on these JVC HARX900/700's which are raved as great beginner budget headphones that also have immense potential for mods...

Curiously, how do these compare to those Panasonics, XB500/700's or the Kicker HP541/Monoprice.

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,218 of 2,849

Quote:
To me it actually doesn't matter one bit. 
To each his own I say. I just offered another philosophical aspect on thing. 

For those who have fun doing the mods, the money is well spent no matter what you mod or how much you spend.
However, for someone who doesn't enjoy it all that much and still actually does it for the reason I described above, the end result would still justify the money and time spent.

For example, if I've spend $120 retail on the SRH440's and during the time owning them, I realized that I'm in-love with the sound they produce, how well they adjust with Equing, how better they even sound amped but still produce and very good sound straight from a portable device. However, what I've also realized is that while the cable is detachable, it's very long, heavy and coiled. So while it's good for the PC, studio and monitoring front, it's not so good for the portable one. Further, the pads on the 440's are tad thin, at least for me. So this made the experience a bit of a pain after 1-2 hours of wear.  So, I personally don't like to mod, and not a big tech/mod savvy. I'm sure I can get into it if I really wanted, but I don't, I simply don't like it enough. However, I can still manage to pay $20.00 for the 840's pads, or if I feel like it, buy the velour 940's pads, which are very comfy as-well. Also, for another $10 - $15 I can buy the straight cable, which is still long, then mod it and make it shorter, and reattach the original terminal.  So on a $120.00 can, let's say I end up spending another $40.00 so I end up with $160.00 spent on $120 headphones..  Someone can easily come and say, 'hey, with that money you could've gotten the Audio Technica ATHM50 or Sennheiser HD555 or 598 or even the Grado SR80i ...

The point is.. if I wanted those, I would have bought them.. But I prefer the 440's over all of them. So to me, it's money and effort well spent.

But hey, that's just me.

No, your point is valid - especially as you go up in price and quality. I am suspicious (and doubtful) of anyone who claims they can make a $300+ headphone sound "better" with an x-acto knife and duct tape. And I agree it makes a lot more sense to buy a headphone you like rather than try to make a headphone you don't like into something else.

I will say that, in the context of most "modding" discussions, your example of shortening a cord or replacing ear pads isn't really what I would consider a mod because it doesn't change the headphone itself and has no effect on the sound. The changes you mentioned are more like adjusting the mirrors and seat position in a car before you drive it.

I don't know if I will enjoy "modding" these Panasonics or if the results are going to be positive or negative (or even audible). But I'm curious enough to give it a try. That said, even if it is a huge success and I have a ball doing it, I will NEVER mod my HD 600's. I trust the Sennheiser engineers expertise and 15 years of gradual refining much more than my skill with needle nose plyers and chewing gum!
wink_face.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,219 of 2,849
Yeah, I wouldn't think nor consider what I mentioned as heavy mods.
Though again, I can see people being into that stuff... Personally I won't, even if I was 100% savvy on this like breathing air, I still won't do it. It's quite contradictory to my overall perception of headphones and philosophy on music listening.

This is also why I tend not to EQ my media player with my headphones, though I have been doing this more often as of late and a bit disappointed in myself for that. I always (well 99% of the time) audition headphones under flat/no EQing applied and with my highest quality track in lossless form. That is my reference point to know what is the true nature of the headphone.   If after a prolonged test I like em, then I like them for what they are. Any modes I would do, would be, as you said, minimal superficial mods to improve comfort and convenience. This is also why I don't like EQing as it colors and synthesizes the phones' engineered intent.  If I would go to the lengths of rewiring and replacing drivers, I'd might as-well look for a better sounding and constructed headphone. And I won't stop until I find it. 

Not passing critique on those who do it, it's just me.

As I said, to each his own.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,220 of 2,849

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't think nor consider what I mentioned as heavy mods.
Though again, I can see people being into that stuff... Personally I won't, even if I was 100% savvy on this like breathing air, I still won't do it. It's quite contradictory to my overall perception of headphones and philosophy on music listening.

This is also why I tend not to EQ my media player with my headphones, though I have been doing this more often as of late and a bit disappointed in myself for that. I always (well 99% of the time) audition headphones under flat/no EQing applied and with my highest quality track in lossless form. That is my reference point to know what is the true nature of the headphone.   If after a prolonged test I like em, then I like them for what they are. Any modes I would do, would be, as you said, minimal superficial mods to improve comfort and convenience. This is also why I don't like EQing as it colors and synthesizes the phones' engineered intent.  If I would go to the lengths of rewiring and replacing drivers, I'd might as-well look for a better sounding and constructed headphone. And I won't stop until I find it. 

Not passing critique on those who do it, it's just me.

As I said, to each his own.

I generally avoid EQ too as it does theoretically degrade the signal. On the other hand, every album is recorded and mastered differently, and so if you have that one song you use as a benchmark for finding the "perfect" headphone, that same headphone might sound terrible with a different album.

I find it helpful to record a dozen songs that have different sound characteristics (bright, dark, bassy, ambient, etc.) onto a CD and find a headphone that sounds good to great with all of them. Most of these songs come from genres of music that I listen to often. For example, I use mostly rock, jazz and classical. Not a lot of electronica, country, or polka on my test discs!

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #1,221 of 2,849
I only really modded mine because I had extra material from when I modded my T50RPs and D2000s. Didn't pay a dime extra to mod these.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,222 of 2,849

Quote:
On another note, I've been reading quite a bit on these JVC HARX900/700's which are raved as great beginner budget headphones that also have immense potential for mods...

Curiously, how do these compare to those Panasonics, XB500/700's or the Kicker HP541/Monoprice.

The RX700s are a great set of headphones. I find them to have more detail and clarity than the Pannys. Can't comment on the others. The RX700s has better build quality too but they are large and a little heavy. I did the felt and foam mod to them. Improves them even more. The pannys definitely has better bass presence which is good for electronica but other genres, I prefer the  RX700s.  The RX900s I have read is much bassier than the 700s so its really what you prefer and what you listen too.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #1,224 of 2,849
Ugh..... I emailed the ebay seller that I purchased mine from as they still had not arrived and asked him what the deal was? He proceeded to tell me they were out of stock for 4 weeks at least and he did not have any, but sure had no problem selling them and taking my money. I asked why the heck he did not tell me that when I purchased them and why he did not say anything for a full week, did not respond. Very irritated. Anyone else know of a place that has them IN stock right now? The ebay seller name is "backupdog" avoid like the plague.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #1,225 of 2,849

Quote:
Ugh..... I emailed the ebay seller that I purchased mine from as they still had not arrived and asked him what the deal was? He proceeded to tell me they were out of stock for 4 weeks at least and he did not have any, but sure had no problem selling them and taking my money. I asked why the heck he did not tell me that when I purchased them and why he did not say anything for a full week, did not respond. Very irritated. Anyone else know of a place that has them IN stock right now? The ebay seller name is "backupdog" avoid like the plague.

I purchased mine from Bottom Line Telecommunications (shopblt dot com) and last I checked they had them in stock.  $30.72 shipped to CA.  My 2 pairs arrive tomorrow!

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,227 of 2,849
The Pannys with velours, currently, are my go-to phones for most music, if only for the comfort factor. Personally, I don't think the velours really improved the SQ that much, but the comfort was definitely worth the money I put into the Pearstone pads. I'm not going to lie, though, I do reach for the Grados if the right song comes up. The extra bass is definitely lovely for electronic music, though.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,228 of 2,849

Quote:
Very nice mods.. For gaming.. I would absolutely advise the velours for you. I like how there is added air to the sounds when gaming. Almost sounds like a open phone. Adding to the comfort level as well. That mic I might have to try that for myself as my clip on mic people are just complaining that my voice quality is not good. Have to go in and out of vent just to get the volume up. Speaking of gaming.. EVERYONE needs to get BF3.. If you guys play one game a year.. This game has to be it. Just simply phenomenal!! =SOC= 24/7 CQ Maps  My clan 64 man PC server.. Look for it if you guys play the PC version.. I hear the console versions are all playing smooth too..The HTF600 sounds stupendous with the game.  Bullets, explosions, the carnage is insane!

Exactly what i would like to know!!!

Which sounds better in terms of directional positioning in BF3? The Samson SR850 or the Panasonic HTF600? which one makes you hear footsteps and pinpoint source of gunshots more easily?

Please compare the directional sound feature in FPS games (direction + distance to source of sound) between:
1) Panasonic HTF890 (open can, larger soundstage than HTF600)
2)Samson SR850
3) Modded Panasonic HTF600 with velour pads

I want to buy one of those 3 but I am very confused.

On the other hand, which one is more immersive and makes all the explosions and screams sound more realistic?

AWESOME Thread Dsnuts!
Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back