The PA2V2 Thread
May 29, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #286 of 752
just got my PA2V2 yesterday - i'm impressed!

i'm using it with my SR80s and when comparing it to my custom cmoy, i think it's true that the PA2V2 sounds warmer and perhaps lacks a tiny amount of the sparkle of my cmoy (my brother who built the cmoy for me swears its components rival any $500 amp). 

when using my SR225s, my first thoughts were that the PA2V2 sounded a little too muddy in the mids. however, with the 80s this difference is negligible. since getting my 225s i have always felt that the 80s are still the more 'punchy' and fun headphones and the PA2V2 plays to these strengths of the 80s, particularly with rock music.

compared to using the 80s unamped on my clip, it's only a subtle difference but i think the bass has better presence, is more rounded and better controlled with the presence of the PA2V2. i could easily listen to the clip without the amp but given the choice i would take it every time.

i think i will continue to use my cmoy at home with the SR225s for 'serious' listening, as technically its sound is superior. the cmoy is also just too cumbersome to lug around. meanwhile, the design of the PA2V2 is flawless; all the buttons and inputs are neatly on the front of the amp, so it could easily slide into a jeans pocket and still be accessible without the risk of flicking the power switch off. i think i'll be using it exclusively with the 80s, particularly when i'm out and about.

by the way, i seriously don't understand some of the people in the other threads who have said they wish this amp was SMALLER...the thing is tiny. it's comparable to a packet of cigarettes. basically...how could you possibly go wrong with this amp for $60?

I think when they say SMALLER, they trying to mean thinner.

May 29, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #287 of 752

Quote:
just got my PA2V2 yesterday - i'm impressed!

i'm using it with my SR80s and when comparing it to my custom cmoy, i think it's true that the PA2V2 sounds warmer and perhaps lacks a tiny amount of the sparkle of my cmoy (my brother who built the cmoy for me swears its components rival any $500 amp). 

when using my SR225s, my first thoughts were that the PA2V2 sounded a little too muddy in the mids. however, with the 80s this difference is negligible. since getting my 225s i have always felt that the 80s are still the more 'punchy' and fun headphones and the PA2V2 plays to these strengths of the 80s, particularly with rock music.

compared to using the 80s unamped on my clip, it's only a subtle difference but i think the bass has better presence, is more rounded and better controlled with the presence of the PA2V2. i could easily listen to the clip without the amp but given the choice i would take it every time.

i think i will continue to use my cmoy at home with the SR225s for 'serious' listening, as technically its sound is superior. the cmoy is also just too cumbersome to lug around. meanwhile, the design of the PA2V2 is flawless; all the buttons and inputs are neatly on the front of the amp, so it could easily slide into a jeans pocket and still be accessible without the risk of flicking the power switch off. i think i'll be using it exclusively with the 80s, particularly when i'm out and about.

by the way, i seriously don't understand some of the people in the other threads who have said they wish this amp was SMALLER...the thing is tiny. it's comparable to a packet of cigarettes. basically...you can't possibly go wrong with this amp for $60. it's worth the price alone just to be able to play with such a neat little device.

With a dap on top of it, it isn't very shirt pocket friendly, the uha-4 does good though, as for replacing the PA2V2 SQ wise for $60 I don't think it can be done. I suggest you buy a pair of Koss PortaPro's and a Sony Walkman, I can send you the EQ settings I use, that combo will blow you away! That and the headphones and amp will both have a lifetime warranty.

May 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #288 of 752

Quote:
I suggest you buy a pair of Koss PortaPro's and a Sony Walkman, I can send you the EQ settings I use, that combo will blow you away! That and the headphones and amp will both have a lifetime warranty.

i have been wanting a pair of portapros for a while - they just aren't cost-efficient here in japan. $25 on amazon compared to over $50 here. >_< for that price i would rather start looking at a full-sized pair of closed cans...but i digress!

May 30, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #289 of 752

here's a transcript of an email i just sent gary; i'm hoping someone on head-fi may be able to clarify this for me in the meantime!!

Quote:
Regarding the gain...I have decided to use the PA2V2 amp mainly with my SR80s. However following the method you suggested  (turning the source down to 75% and then adjusting the gain knobs) I found that I had to turn them about 90 degrees further clockwise than the way they were set up when the amp arrived. I'm afraid this this would be creating distortion. 

My source is my rockbox'd Sansa Clip. I have always just set its volume to 0db. I figure as long as I have my music files normalised at -89db, having the Clip at 0db would be the highest safe volume to avoid any clipping/distortion. Setting the Clip to 75% its normal volume (something like -22db) is not something I would normally do. Having the volume on the Clip at 0db and then adjusting the gain knobs, I find that the line between 'really loud' and 'horribly awfully distorted' is very thin. Should I leave the volume at 0db and then realign the gain knobs? Or should I do as you say and lower the volume on the clip, adjust the gain knobs, then put the Clip's volume back to 0db?

please let me know what you guys make of this!!

May 30, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #290 of 752

I'm not sure I follow the Clip-specific gain settings, since I've never used one, so do tell me where I'm off the mark:
0 dB = max volume? 
So, you normally set your clip to 100% volume and then connect the PA2V2 to it?

If that's the case, it's not what Gary recommends: http://www.electric-avenues.com/pa2_instructions.html
He advises starting at 60% volume on the player (although users may find different settings work best for them, of course).

May 30, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #291 of 752
after rockboxing the clip starts at -80db and goes up to +6db. i usually just leave it at 0db as i figure this should be the most neutral position, and shouldn't have any distortion.

May 30, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #292 of 752
A gain knob is just a control. It doesn't matter where it is for distiortion. Infact, the more up it is, the less in circuit. Only the output volume and input level matter. He may have asked you to lower at the input to prevent that stage from overloading or to allow you more fine adjustment of the volume control. Best would be to get a line out from the DAP and avoid the extra stages.

May 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #293 of 752
so you're saying that i should have the gain knob as high as possible? ie. as long as i don't have the output volume so high it's distorting, the sound signature should be the same? 
i'm just using the clip so no digital/line out is possible i'm afraid.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #295 of 752
Just got mine on Saturday, and I have to say I'm impressed! It's a very powerful amp for its size, and the adjustable gain is great for high-sensitivity headphones and IEMs. The volume pot is one of the best I have used to date (no static or channel imbalance). This amp pairs very well with the UM3X (crisper treble and better bass impact).

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #296 of 752

Quote:
so you're saying that i should have the gain knob as high as possible? ie. as long as i don't have the output volume so high it's distorting, the sound signature should be the same? 
i'm just using the clip so no digital/line out is possible i'm afraid.

The Sansa Clip has a very clean output signal, so double-amping isn't as much of a problem as it is with other players (particularly the iPod).

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #297 of 752
Really? My touch gen3 is still better than my Fuzes even though the amp stage isn't as good with low impedances. Not an issue when in line with another amp even though line out is always preferred. Fuze v2 is same soc as clip. Ipods come in many configs so be careful about a generalization like that.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #298 of 752

Quote:
The pot is basically a variable resistor in front of the amp stage. It's level is relative and not a direct reflection of the output. That's what I'm saying.

i gotta admit this kind of technical talk goes a bit over my head. however i'm happy to say that i've found what i think is a pretty safe level for my SR80s, nice and loud and crisp, and was also able to iron out a slight channel imbalance with the gain control knobs that had been bugging me about those headphones for months. ^^

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #299 of 752
Not really an appreciation-related response, but..

Do these power the HD600's fine? I am really on a tight budget for an amp.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #300 of 752

Quote:
Not really an appreciation-related response, but..

Do these power the HD600's fine? I am really on a tight budget for an amp.

Probably not. You'll want a desktop amp for the HD600, since it is a very power-hungry headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back