THE OSTRY KC06A ! THE GUY WHO SURPRISES WITH SOUND, CLASS,LOOK AND MANY MORE, :D
Jun 11, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #301 of 776
Netforce, if you don't already, try using the over-under cable wrapping method. I've found it reduces the memory effect of any cable. Can take a little while to get the knack of it, but it's worthwhile. But yeah, the KC06A's cable is a bit of a memory mess when first removed from its packaging.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #304 of 776
Ya, I am just overly curious what improvements it has over the original. Odds are I'm going to listen to them for a few hours and throw my Sony h3 back in.

PS the h3 is a beautiful beast of an iem. For my preferred sound signature they are perfect. So much beautiful bass and still articulate and non sibilant. They are IMHO ahead of my GR07BE and DNK. I will pop these two in when I want less bass, but man oh man these h3 are great out of the box and only get better the more I listen to them.

I got me some noble 4 on the way and I expect once I get my pair my listening time with the kc06a will be a lot shorter.

Netforce, if you don't already, try using the over-under cable wrapping method. I've found it reduces the memory effect of any cable. Can take a little while to get the knack of it, but it's worthwhile. But yeah, the KC06A's cable is a bit of a memory mess when first removed from its packaging.

Alright I'll give it a try, thanks!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #305 of 776
Google it - it's really not easy to explain. In fact, even with videos you'll probably feel quite puzzled for a bit. It basically creates an alternating loop like you'd probably get with a figure-8 pattern which you then coiled up into a single loop. Cables come with a natural twist in them and by following that twist instead of forcing it straight like we do if we just wind them up in one direction, we prevent strain and kinking in the cable.

You land up with healthy cables that don't get tangled (provided you unwrap them from the correct end) and have no unwanted memory effect on them. I always start wrapping from the connector end so that I can simply grab the earphones or headphones and the rest of the cable will fall out nice and tangle-free.

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #306 of 776
For starters, you clasp your middle and index fingers together while doing the same for the ring and pinky finger. This creates a space between the middle and ring finger for the 8-loop. Next, wrap the wire starting from the connector end upwards the index finger, looping at the backside towards the space of the 8-loop (middle and ring finger space), then looping inwards the ring finger down below the pinkie, backside again and going up the space, completing the 8-loop. Repeat this for the entire length of the wire up to the driver end. Once down, slide the wires from your fingers and there you have the 8-looped IEM.

Tl:dr. Just watch youtube instructional videos if you find my instructions difficult to follow.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #307 of 776
I find wrapping around the fingers tends to create too tight a loop which usually doesn't follow the natural twist of the cable and so imposes its own memory and strain on the cable. I just do it the same way I do larger cables around my hand. But it is essentially a figure-8 wrap that's just been folded over creating the appearance of a standard coiled loop.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #308 of 776
Huh, I normally just wrap the the Kc06a on 2 fingers and just put it in the included pouch, iems on top. Whenever I need to use them, I just grab the housing and the rest of the cable follows suit. Minimum memory in my case.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #310 of 776
For anyone that has heard both the ostry and the tenores, what would be the best pick if I'm looking for a mid centred headphone? I'm looking for something with really detailed and intimate mids, lower mids especially. Good bass and treble extension and separation would be a big bonus.

Wondering if one of these budget beauties is what I'm looking for!
You might also like the Monoprice 9927. For a measly 8-10 bucks it's worth a shot. I has very good mids with better than average separation and great in the lower mids range, decent bass, and slightly recessed highs that are not sibilant.

It's pretty amazeballs for its price. It can compete with many of these Asian budget beasts.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #311 of 776
I just got the regular versions of these.

Very underwhelmed coming from a regular, full-sized headphone user.

Are the soft ones supposed to sound better for female vocals and have really bad low's while the hard ones have great lows and forward mids, but seem to lose detail for the highs?

I need my music to be all around, I cant have one or the other. All of my songs require a balanced pair of headphones. If I am doing something wrong with my IEM's I'd love to know. Otherwise I definitely don't see the hype for $60...... The K271S I got for $80 last month absolutely blow these away in every single aspect and it's not even close.

Currently the biggest sized hard tips make the music sound the best for me,the mid's sound very... "generic" not bad nor good, lows are fine and about what I expected, but when it comes to the highs... Oh man do these disappoint me. The medium soft tips make female vocals sound pretty damn good and sounds very spacey, but it lacks in everything else. The big soft one's which I expected to be good for me sound extremely tinny unless I don't put them all the way in...

Are these just not for me? Can anyone point to me to some well rounded, more balanced IEM's? I need to use these for HD radio (Up to 300 Kbps) and MP3/Flac Player when working out the gym.

If this is going to be the best sound they give, these are not worth $60 for me.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #312 of 776
What other IEMs do you have experience with?

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #313 of 776
  What other IEMs do you have experience with?

Not much. The best IEM I ever had to this point for a pair of Sony headphones I got for $12 (They were originally $45!) and the value --> sound quality ratio was excellent! While the highs and mid's were very generic...... it had a nice bass boost to give it a fun sound signature. You kind of forgot about the bad quality's with them if you were just listening and walking.

It was:

Mids: 5/10
Highs: 3-4/10
Lows: 8/10

These don't seem to have that same sound signature. Even though these are better on a technical level and I can hear it, the lows don't have that same fun impact and the highs are pretty much the same as the $12 ones. They broke on me after a year which is why I am now shopping for new ones. I assumed that if I was spending 4x my old price, I would at least get a much bigger improvement then this.

I would rate these:

Mids: 7/10
Highs: 3-4/10
Lows: 6/10

I'll get the name of my old ones in a bit. My friend bought them as well and has the package.

Edit: Found them.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX210B-BLK-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402717105&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+mdr+ex210

MDR-EX210B

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #314 of 776
Well, it could be many things:
- IEMs aren't for you
- these particular iems aren't for you
- you are not getting a good seal/fit
- the synergy with your source is not good
- you have a defective pair

I'm not sure which it is. All I can say for myself is that I have been disappointed with lots of IEMs, but the kc06's are not one of them. In fact, I generally like them as much as any of my much more expensive IEMs.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #315 of 776
Edit: I'm talking about the kc06 btw (didn't realize this was the kc06a thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back