The Opamp thread
Aug 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #4,426 of 7,383
Quote:
Quote:

Huh?  Please advise me of a single DVD player or stereo receiver (for speakers) which uses LME49990, I'd buy it in an instant!

Even though it is a relatively a new chip still finding its way into mainstream production, it can be found in hardware today. I read it listed inside a few sound adapters (USB, stand alone, etc.) but I am not going to do all your homework for you.

Translation "There is no CD or DVD player using LME49990, I simply like talking."

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #4,429 of 7,383
Quote:
You mean to say, "I can't afford a CD player that uses a LME49990 but I can dream."

The LME49990 costs $5, time-to-get-real-son.

Quote:
You can certainly roll in the LME's in a CD player if it tickles your fancy to do hear it.

I use a $1 coax cable from my CD player to my LME49990 x5 DAC.  You a trippin'.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4,430 of 7,383
Quote:

The LME49990 costs $5, time-to-get-real-son.

I use a $1 coax cable from my CD player to my LME49990 x5 DAC.  You a trippin'.

I didn't set the sucker's price for the example CD unit. Besides, if you ignore the price and bother to read the description of the Unit, it tells you how they went about designing and building the unit.

Other than that, be my guest at slanting and spinning what I type, I could care less. I hope your cable bypasses completely your CD internals except I would think using a Blue Ray DVD player to read CDs would be a slight improvement.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #4,432 of 7,383
Quote:
Hey,

Has anyone tried using LME49990 as buffers, with LME49990 in I/V (in the PB2, for example)?

I'm currently using dummy buffers with the LME49990 because every opamp I try as a buffer with LME49990 in I/V only diminishes clarity, even if it does improve headroom/dynamics (as with the HA5004).

Thanks,

Mike

This time around, was listening to Track Title : Lo Que Yo Más Quiero by Son By Four (2001)

[size=x-small]Using[/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small] AD-700 headphones[/size][/size] and my old[size=x-small] standard [size=x-small]P[/size][/size]rodigy HD2 (f[size=x-small][size=x-small]or testing),[/size]  with all empty socket[size=x-small]s[size=x-small], the [size=x-small]s[size=x-small]ou[size=x-small]nds [size=x-small]are distant. [size=x-small]With [size=x-small]the stock [size=x-small]OP[size=x-small]A 2604[size=x-small]AP [size=x-small]and buffer[size=x-small]/output empty, the [size=x-small]sound is t[size=x-small]inny in the highs,[size=x-small] favor[size=x-small]s some lows, not very re[size=x-small]al[size=x-small]istic (crap)[size=x-small]. Adding L49990MA in the [size=x-small]output, it enh[size=x-small]ance[size=x-small]s whatever the 2604 send[size=x-small]s it and brings [size=x-small][size=x-small]all the [/size]sounds fo[size=x-small]rwa[size=x-small]rd with a bit of d[size=x-small]et[size=x-small]ail[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size] resulting [size=x-small]in[/size] higher qual[size=x-small]ity crap sounds.

[size=x-small]Tr[size=x-small]ied the [size=x-small]AD797[size=x-small]BR[size=x-small] [size=x-small]with the ou[size=x-small]tput empt[size=x-small]y, favors the lows an[size=x-small]d mids[size=x-small], [size=x-small]some very h[size=x-small]igh end missing but clean detailed sounds throughout. Adding the L[size=x-small]49990M[size=x-small]A in the output, takes [size=x-small]and cl[size=x-small]arifies the entire ra[size=x-small]nge and br[size=x-small]ing all sound forw[size=x-small]ards.[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small] Good clean fun.

[size=x-small]Tried the NE5532N with the ou[size=x-small]tput emp[size=x-small]ty. Clear and clean with no [size=x-small]a[size=x-small]rti[size=x-small]fic[size=x-small]ial en[size=x-small]ha[size=x-small]ncements[size=x-small], [size=x-small]making [size=x-small]all sounds equal [size=x-small]acro[size=x-small]ss the ranges. Added the L49990[size=x-small]MA in the output[size=x-small] and resul[size=x-small]ted [size=x-small]in excellent sounds[size=x-small]. The entire range sound[size=x-small]ed true wi[size=x-small]th clear highlights[size=x-small], [/size] good separation[size=x-small] and [size=x-small]clarity. Highs were c[size=x-small]ri[size=x-small]sp[size=x-small].[size=x-small] [size=x-small]Lows and mids were t[size=x-small]rue. [size=x-small]Lows di[size=x-small]d no[size=x-small]t outright pound but sound clean[size=x-small] nonetheless.[/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=x-small]I could [size=x-small]eas[size=x-small]ily live with NE[size=x-small]5532N[size=x-small](s) and the L49990M[size=x-small]A i[size=x-small]n the output socket. Rival[size=x-small]s all my past configurations when considering al[size=x-small]l around [size=x-small]realistic sounds. Very [size=x-small]enjoyable.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

The tried and true NE[size=x-small]55[size=x-small]32N are only a couple[size=x-small] bucks any[size=x-small]mo[size=x-small]re[size=x-small]. If you can only afford (1) ad[size=x-small]apter board with the [size=x-small]two L[size=x-small]49990[size=x-small]M[size=x-small]A [size=x-small]on it[size=x-small] then I would [size=x-small]us[size=x-small]e[/size] it in the outp[size=x-small]ut along with your favorite op-a[size=x-small]mps  in the [/size] [size=x-small]I/V sockets.

[size=x-small]Your mileage[size=x-small] may vary.

[size=x-small]Your welcome.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

(I will note that I couldn't get (3) adapted L49990MA to work on the card at once in all three sockets, not sure why but doesn't seem to be necessary.)

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #4,435 of 7,383
hello people, i've been asking a lot the same question around, and and i feel like many opamp users don't  know how to describe the opamp, all what does they say that this is better than that etc...

i only went for the AD8610 with uha6s.mkii and it was nice , smooth, warm , been using UM Miracle back then, and went for the op627 + magic tube d1 + senn 650 before and the highs were cool although i heard that senn 650 don't have the best treble,  now i have Yulong D100 MKII which i didn't enjoy its amp section although i had the TH600 so  i am looking into getting M-stage and changing the opamp. 

here is my final attempt ever before i lose the hope in opamp rolling, and go back to my old opamps. 

" looking to change the opamp of after i get it M-Stage going to use it with TH600 which tend to have nice Treble, Highs and not the best mids

for me the bass/treble comes 1st so i need to know what is the best option for me,

OP627x2  or AD8610x2 or LME49710x2 

i don't mind warm sig btw and i don't like the brightness,  i like the sound smooth and clean if possible but not to miss with the Treble/Bass/Highs ^^"

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4,436 of 7,383
How you describe the sound when an op-amp 'colors' or 'darkens' or 'veils' or cuts out the highs or cuts out the lows or sound 'flat' is very arbitrary from the listener's point of view.

Best I can do is say it favors a certain range, like the highs or lows, then if it has clarity enough for good separation which leads to adequate staging.

Try http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Dual-to-Mono-LME49990MA-replace-OPA2604-NE5532-TL072-LME49990MA-/181118392690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2b7f5972 one of the better starting points.

A lot depends on the recording and phones/speakers you use, the amp then the DAC op-amps.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4,437 of 7,383
Hello, this is very interesting thread. Interesting and ...very long. I might miss something, but I have a question. Forgive me if someone already asked that question.Does it make any sense to judge op-amp sound quality in random circuit with op-amp rolling? As I understand correctly every circuit, that includes op-amps, needs careful implementation. Probably, there are some op-amps which will "tolerate" life in different environments. But, there are some, like AD 797, which will not work well in CMOY-style circuit. Should the proper judgment of sound quality be done by comparison of properly implemented op-amps with the circuits? 
I just have doubts you can use any circuits with randomly selected op-amp and get great sound. And in reference to op-amps.... APEX makes great chips with great sound properties.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4,438 of 7,383
  Does it make any sense to judge op-amp sound quality in random circuit with op-amp rolling?

Ahhh. You're looking for an argument. You've come to the right place...

popcorn.gif

w

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #4,439 of 7,383

Ahhh. You're looking for an argument. You've come to the right place...

popcorn.gif

w

I thought this was a cheese shop...

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #4,440 of 7,383
  Hello, this is very interesting thread. Interesting and ...very long. I might miss something, but I have a question. Forgive me if someone already asked that question.Does it make any sense to judge op-amp sound quality in random circuit with op-amp rolling? As I understand correctly every circuit, that includes op-amps, needs careful implementation. Probably, there are some op-amps which will "tolerate" life in different environments. But, there are some, like AD 797, which will not work well in CMOY-style circuit. Should the proper judgment of sound quality be done by comparison of properly implemented op-amps with the circuits? 
I just have doubts you can use any circuits with randomly selected op-amp and get great sound. And in reference to op-amps.... APEX makes great chips with great sound properties.

I think we would all agree with you Foton.  No component in any chain is allowed to sing solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back