The Opamp thread
May 13, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #7,186 of 7,383
I didn't know there was a dedicated opamp thread. Better late than never. I'm one of the older guys on Head-Fi, grew up with vinyl. Never did have the money for the exotic brands but I remember I really got into the early Dual 505 turntable, Goldring cartridges, and a bit later Musical Fidelity amps in the 80's. I got big time OCD over little T-Amps back in their day. I'm definitely an old analogue-man, lover of World Music and almost everything else musically. In July of 2019 I bought the Little Bear 4-X hybrid tube amp and have used it on and off ever since. Lately I found the Little Bear a good match with the Shuoer S12 Planar IEM and got back into using it.
A few weeks ago I got a message from Burson Audio asking me if I would like to compare the Burson V5i-D-2 opamp with the stock opamps. I've never been a compulsive Modder, but when necessary I'm up for it. The Little Bear looked simple enough so I found the idea interesting. I had no idea of any difference a new opamp would make to the sound, I'd never changed one before on the Little Bear. So armed with some small Allen Keys, some tweezers and a shaky hand, I got going. It turned out so simple to take the board out, take out the stock opamps and put the more substantial Burson's on.
The opamps had arrived a while ago, so I started to deliberately use the Little Bear 4-X most of the time to get back familiarity with the sound. That meant constant charging because the built in battery does not have the longest play time (about 5 hours). I chose a few songs to really mainly concentrate on... 'Stimela', live, Hugh Masekela and 'Shovelheads', Shriekback (Yep a bit left-of, but has a lot going on), and the great 'Grandpa's Interview', Neil Young. From Patti Smith, 'We Three', and also New Model Army's 'You weren't there'.
When comparing and A/B-ing IEMs there is a simplicity to hear the differences. Generally just take one off and put the other on. It takes just a few seconds. Even then there has to be the memory of the previous moments. The moments are close enough to get a fair idea of the differences. When changing opamps through there is more time involved in the change so the gap in listening is longer, so possibly more deceptive. It's useful to write keywords down to keep impressions fresh. So what I write here can be taken with a pinch of subjective salt.
Before listening I left the 4-X to warm up for 15mins. First thing I noticed with the Burson, seemingly more RF interference. More sensitive obviously, but that can be good in the long run. Not a problem for me, maybe for some. For me once the music starts this old guy cannot hear the RF so no problem.
Compared to stock the Burson's are less generally fuzzy, and have a much cleaner sound. Leading edges of guitars and drums are more defined and precise, sub-bass is cleaner without losing rumble. A subjective feeling of musicality arises whilst listening with the Burson V5i-D-2's.
Patti Smith's wonderful voice becomes richer, thicker and smoother, yet cleaner in 'We Three'. Same with Hugh Masekela's voice in 'Stimela' and the instruments too. On 'Grandpa's Interview' from the 'Greendale' project, Neil Young has more resonance on the lower register guitar strings, and a kind of mini vibrato all the way through plus great cymbal crashes later in the track.
There is little doubt the Burson opamps are noticeably different in sound to the OG's. It surprised me that a little opamp can make such a difference. The Burson's are here to stay in my Little Bear and easily give me a large dose of extra enjoyment.

IEM used, IMR Splash of Gold open back, Spiral Dot L tips. Sony Xperia 5ii phone.

Attachments​

• DSC_0538.JPG
    DSC_0538.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0542.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #7,188 of 7,383
Here’s a new one… I have a bass guitar with an onboard preamp..

Used a TL062CP
Can I upgrade to anything better?
TLE 2082CP

Runs off 18v battery for power for the pickup and power to the preamp
I'm afraid there might not be much of a difference. You can do this: unsolder the chip and put a dip-8 socket. The main problem is that better ICs usually lower th noise, and a bass guitar preamp is noisy by nature. But you can try other dual IC DIP-8 types and listen if there's any difference to your ears.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #7,189 of 7,383
Hi I'm looking for some advice on rolling opamps on my headphone dac. It's a KECES DA-152 an older model from around 2009. I've included a picture of the board. It has 5 opamps in total they are all LME49710NA 8 pin PDIP.

I've marked them A, B, C By looking at the board can someone break down what they do and which I might swap? I'm most interested in changing the sound signature/flavor of the RCA pre out if that's possible.

Also any opamp recommendations would be welcome.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #7,190 of 7,383
Hi guys, after a long time on this thread..

@Burson B sent me these opamp to test
V6 vivid

Sorry, i was not able to make my own custom project because having very high fever

But was able to get a swap done on my friend DX7 pro

Sounds amazeballs good. I mean its actually noticeable to the point that if someone has audio precision, i really want to measure what is causing it.
It just makes things more clearer.

But in my diy infected head, i think these opamp deserves its own design
Once i get well, i will try to conceptualize and build an amp from scratch

Kinda based on Cmoy with some tweaks here and there :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_203712.jpg
    IMG_20220916_203712.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220916_203658.jpg
    IMG_20220916_203658.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 23, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #7,191 of 7,383
Hi folks,
I have a Burson Conductor 3X Performance headphone DAC AMP which is equipped with 4 Burson V6 Vivids.
I love the sound alltogether but there is one downside - the bass is not precise enough for my taste.
The V6 Vivids give an amazingly clean but also smooth sound that is addictive. The soundstage is amazing.
The bass sounds a bit loose and does not have enough punch with my Meze Elites. When I change the opamps behind the XLR sockets to JRCs that also came with the Conductor 3XP bass becomes clean and punchy but this opamp is not as musical as the Bursons.
What can I do? Is there an opamp out there with musicality similar to the V6 Vivids but with better bass punch?
Maybe the V6 Classic? Anthing else like OPA1656 or OPA828 in a dual adapter?

Interestingly in my Ayon DAC OPA828 blew the Burson V6 Vivid and Classic away soundwise and is the one I ended up using. Those were single channel opamps - I need dual channel opamps in the Burson amp.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #7,192 of 7,383
Hi guys, after a long time on this thread..

@Burson B sent me these opamp to test
V6 vivid

Sorry, i was not able to make my own custom project because having very high fever

But was able to get a swap done on my friend DX7 pro

Sounds amazeballs good. I mean its actually noticeable to the point that if someone has audio precision, i really want to measure what is causing it.
It just makes things more clearer.

But in my diy infected head, i think these opamp deserves its own design
Once i get well, i will try to conceptualize and build an amp from scratch

Kinda based on Cmoy with some tweaks here and there :)

Only a suggestion for you, this headphone amp works well since 2006.
http://www.blue-danube.at/hifi/wna-main.php

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #7,194 of 7,383
question, my r2r2000 dap is using a pair of opa1642 which I want to replace with a different burrbrown chip, I've been wondering, which opa is the best / most advanced that could fit? I've been looking at the opa2107, but there are so many models I'm seriously confused.

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #7,195 of 7,383
sad to see this thread die over the last 2 years, where are all the op amp rollers? :D
i had a lot fun rolling opamps in my old topping d10 where the OPA1656 followed by the OPA1612 sounded best in my opinion, i also had this capacitor mod from here a few years ago, Nichicon KZ 10uf sounds the best, nice flat and deep fast bass!

Did anyone try a 10uF Cap + a 0,1nF MKP cap?

i also bought the Aune X8 XVIII last week just because it seems one of the best "budget" dacs that have a op-amp socket! x)
the default JRC 5532DD sounds very analytic a little fatiquing tho but i was really impressed with the performance compared to my FIIO E10k TC, Instruments sounds very nice with it but rock/metal is very fatiquing with it
i also tried the OPA1656 here and it sounds "sweeter/smoother" with more deep bass and alot less fatiquing but not as natural i would say

DId anyone try opamps in an Aune X8 ?

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #7,196 of 7,383
I’m still loving my sparkos ss2590s

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #7,197 of 7,383
Not a whole lot of units are coming out with swappable opamps anymore. I have quite a few that I can’t use now that I’m not sure what to do with.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #7,198 of 7,383
question, my r2r2000 dap is using a pair of opa1642 which I want to replace with a different burrbrown chip, I've been wondering, which opa is the best / most advanced that could fit? I've been looking at the opa2107, but there are so many models I'm seriously confused.
You might try looking at the specs of several chips, not just OPA, and see how they compare. Particularly distortion, noise and slew rate. And looking for people using the new ones. Put sockets if you can, and then compare them. Turn it off the equipment before plugging in or out. Be careful with the max voltage in the new chips. Sorry if this sounds too basic, but I don't know how experienced you are.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #7,199 of 7,383
Not a whole lot of units are coming out with swappable opamps anymore. I have quite a few that I can’t use now that I’m not sure what to do with.
Yes, SMD soldered chips ruined the fun. But you may try using the now common balanced outputs found on some DACs and use an outboard pcb with its own separate supply. And put DIP-8 sockets on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back