The Opamp thread
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #6,963 of 7,383
So I'm going to maybe put Buron V5i in the I/V and LPF stage of my DAC, and amp stage of my amp. What's the best opamp for the Output Buffer Stage of the amp. It has BUF634A stock, is there anything better?

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #6,964 of 7,383
Alright for my DAC, I am thinking 2xMUSES01 for I/V and 2xMUSES03 for LPF

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #6,965 of 7,383
lol @ 20m30s

It's always interesting to see a discussion of an opamp that comes up on these forums time to time, however rather than from the perspective from an audiofool, from the perspective of a professional electrical engineer in regards to its design and breaking down it's performance on an electrical engineering/circuit design level rather than an amateur audiofoolery level who have no real idea or clue how opamps really work.

He is right technically but that's not all that's going on. You have to pay attention to technical backgrounds that his ideas were built upon. Not every chip works the same in a specfic circuit, ie circuit built for BJT will probably have more voltage noise than that built for FET. So if you swap opamps the other way, it might not be as good. Sometimes people use high speed opamps in circuits that doesn't have enough feedback. Sometimes it is just one chip worse than anothe, or has less current output under specific load.

And ultimately, people don't always appreciate the sound of higher spec ss circuits. I am currently using a garage1217 with opa1612 and enjoy it a lot better than o2. I built mine (actually got two) and got to play with all sorts of parameters including ESR of capacitors.

Just keep in mind that when it comes to technical info, properly using these chips is very complicated. If you try to summarize it in a few lines, you must have overlooked a lot of things.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #6,966 of 7,383
Alternative for OPA2210 - Suggestion needed

Dears,
Unfortunately I had to replace the 4 OPA2210 that I swapped into the gain section of my Keces S3 Dac/preamp (bypass caps in place). They "produced" some hum. The opamps themselves were ok, as verified by an Keces electronics workshop.
So now they are substituted by what was on hand, OPA2604, and the unit works properly again. But of course sound-wise it is quiet a step back.
Did some of you make similar experience? Any recommendation for a less sensitive opamp as OPA2210 but with similar exceptional performance?

Thank you very much for all comments and recommendations :)

Rgds,
Martin

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #6,967 of 7,383
I have ADA4610-2, ADA4637-1and ADA4625-2 in the ADA46** series

A lot of DIY audio community compares them to the famous Burr-Brown JFETS Opa627 and Opa637.

Spec-wise they are almost on par but the soundstages sound totally different in my opinion.

To me, the Burr-Brown laid back sound is almost exclusively heard on those chips and ADI also have quick bass response and the soundstage is just more pronounced in a good way!

The ADI chips in my opinion do not have the deep soundstage as the Burr-Browns with exception of a few but they have excellent bass response and are fast af!

If I had to recommend that I have in the ADA46** family would be ADA4625. It’s the fastest and cleanest JFET and newest. They also have ADI Fast settling which definitely works! These chips are fast!

ADA46** family are also less aggressive unlike other ADI chips.

These chips sound fantastic In Bass intensive music (like dance music, electronic and an intimate soundstage of acoustic music like Jazz in my opinion.

ADI and LME (National chips) have similar traits of power, fast and excellent low frequency response. But again sound totally different.

For personal use, I like most of TI Burr-Browns and some LT chips but If I’m having party or am listening to a particular music Genre I know it would sound better- hands down ADI and the LT are the way to go for me. There’s also the portable vs home entertainment difference which is yet another rabbit hole. Haha

I don’t have any NJC op amps but the MUSE series specs don’t knock me out of seat when I read them for the price but I don’t own them to say how they sound!

In Layman’s terms each high quality audio op amp sound great but present a different ambience and for each setup portable vs home there’s different recommendations so-to-speak.

Thanks for your detailed describtion! Regarding ADI, I experienced great support from them, even for an amateur like me. They simulated some transient response charts that were missing on the data sheet for ADA4610. I attached them for whom it may be helpful.
Rgds,
Martin

Attachments

• ADA4610 transient response.PNG
    ADA4610 transient response.PNG
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 23, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #6,968 of 7,383
Is V5i still the best op amp if you need low profile?
I like the Muses02 slightly more due to its sort of richer sound. The V5i is my next pick. Leaps and bounds above all the OPAs imo. The Muses02 though... <3

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #6,969 of 7,383
I like the Muses02 slightly more due to its sort of richer sound. The V5i is my next pick. Leaps and bounds above all the OPAs imo. The Muses02 though... <3
Since nobody replied, I decided to just try all high end integrated opamps(MUSES01, MUSES02, MUSES03, AD827SQ, Burson V5i and AD797) myself and see what sounds best to me.

I found that AD797 is the holy grail of opamps and sounds better than pretty much anything else by a large margin. However, it is a very finicky opamp and might not work for all circuits.

I am now selling all my MUSES and Burson opamps here.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #6,971 of 7,383
Sep 24, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,973 of 7,383
A lot has happened in 11 years ^^

try OPA1622 & OPA828 :)
The DAC and AMP came default with OPA1612 and OPA1611. I think they sound very clinical and analytical. I don't like their sound signature. Is the OPA1622 better?

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #6,975 of 7,383
OPA1611 is just OPA211 with a new number FWIR and I don't like either at all.
I might try out the OPA1622. Currently I have the AD797ANZ and it sounds amazing, waiting on AD797BRZ on Browndogs.

Also as per your post from a decade ago, I tried LT1028ACN8 in the LPF section of the DAC, I thought it was not as good as the AD797ANZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back