The Opamp thread
Oct 10, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #5,401 of 7,383

I've been looking at the Bursons and Sparkos for my Essence ST card.

Only use the line out though so would I need 2 single opamps or 2 single and 1 dual?

Not sure I trust ebay for authentic chips and wonder if the improvement is worth the asking price (three Sparkos would cost more than the card itself). Is the difference over stock opamps that dramatic or is it a subtle (yet still noticeable) improvement?
Ifg

Hi gr8soundz,

The STX, ST, and STXII all use the same opamp setup. They use 3-duals so with Sparkos you would need 3-SS3602's (2 for the I/V sockets and 1 for the buffer/LPF). If you are using the headphone out only the I/V opamps are used, if you are using the line out then all 3 sockets/opamps come into play.

This is the ebay store to buy from http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Discrete-Op-Amp-SS3602-/141461456047?hash=item20efc284af:g:EqYAAOSwCZ5Vfdzn
That is Sparkos Labs ebay store, they come direct from Andrew and shipping is only $6.00. He also takes offers for them, so you can hit him with a price and if it's close he will counter offer or accept.

Just a suggestion, if you are just using the line out, pick up one and use it in the buffer/LPF socket which is only used for the line outs. That is how I started with the Sparkos
by using I/V: LME49720 x 2
LPF: Sparkos SS3602 descrete
That setup got me to move to eventually to using all Sparko's duals in the STXII and the sound to me is incredible.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions let me know...

Ren

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #5,405 of 7,383
In case you need SS V5/V5i you should purchase from Burson directly or from their eBay store, but also Audiophonics FR have some in stock. For MUSES get them from Profusion UK or Digikey or Mouser. General opamps could be bought from TME, Arrow, Digikey, Mouser, Farnell etc.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #5,407 of 7,383
  Thanks for the reply.

I'll be transferring my card to another, newer pc soon so I may wait to try the Sparkos once I remove the card.

i can't offer personal experience on the sparkos, but i can say substituting the v5i in the primary slot on my asus hdav1.3 was an epiphany for the small expense involved

my advice is lash out and try that, and if you feel something has fundamentally changed in your listening experience, then the sparkos may well be worth taking a punt on

i am tempted, but have other more pressing financial responsibilities at present, and in truth, am still in a state of awe and bliss whenever i switch on the sound system at home such that i am unable to even comprehend having something even more amazing to listen to than what has happened here

beware ! the genie will not go back in the bottle once you start this magic

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #5,408 of 7,383
Thanks for the info.

Saw your posts in the STX thread too. Good to know the emi shield/cover still fits after swapping. Tight fit for the V5i but the Sparkos are even wider so not sure they are still an option.

EDIT: Actually, it appears the Sparkos fit above the surrounding caps:
http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amp-review-asus-xonar-stx-head-amp-card/

Sparkos-SS3602_c.jpg

Anyone know if the emi shield still fits after swapping to the Sparkos?

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #5,409 of 7,383
the opa627 i pulled to swap in the v5i sits similarly high, and the emi shield fitted, although i took the precaution of a layer of non-conducting (masking) tape under the shield in case of  possible shorting on the metal

i noted only belatedly when i looked at the shield that it actually wasn't "tight" on one side where the op amp obviously pushed against it at the circular rim indented in the shield and was held from seating truly

can't say i can hear any issue, and many people seem to leave the shield off without comment of it being detrimental

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #5,412 of 7,383
I have three super Cmoys with this 1688 op amp installed, and they sound great.
Check out:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/293247-opa1688-super-cmoy-2x-9v-real-ground-headphone-relay-pcbs.html

and

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142513.0

and now this 1688's in the O2.

I have compared to a stock O2, and an O2 with 827's in the O2 Booster Board from AGDR.

They all do well, the 1688 has wonderful specs and is designed for headpone applications.

To me it sounds more open and transparent...I hate using glittering generalities when trying to be objective about an analysis.

Going back and forth between these I seem to gravitate to the O2 with the 1688's, bass seems absolutely solid.

Its a simple and easy update. mouser sells the adapters and ICs;.

Alex

Note:

Last week TI released a new audio Op Amp, the OPA1688 (http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1688)

For those that are interested, the basic specs are:
Gain Bandwidth Product: 10 MHz
Slew Rate: 8 V/us
Power supply voltage range: (4.5V to 36V or +/- 2.25V to +/- 18V)
Power supply current: 1.6mA
Input voltage noise: 8nV/rtHz (1kHz)
Input current noise: 1.8 fA/rtHz
Input offset voltage: +/- 0.25mV (typical)
Input bias current: +/- 10pA
Input voltage range: 100mV below V- to 2V below V+ (reduced specs outside of this range)

What's really interesting about this device is the output stage linearity, which makes it a good choice for driving headphones. For example, if you're using an OPA2134 in a CMOY-type headphone amplifier, the OPA1688 would be a big improvement in both distortion and power consumption.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #5,414 of 7,383
Its a good little amp!!

The TPS3701 chip is a challenge to solder on the small pc board as well as the cap on the same board!

It will test your soldering skills...I think AGDR is selling these with the chips mounted on them...you can contact hime at DIYAUDIO.com

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back