The Opamp thread
Sep 4, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #4,741 of 7,383
  Has anybody here heard of or heard the Burson Audio Supreme Sound Op-amp? The thing is pretty massive, 16x42x21 mm for dual, and fetches $70. What do you guys think? Do you guys prefer IC op-amps over stuff like the Burson Audio SS and the Audio GD op-amps? This stuff still makes almost no sense to me, but I'm giving this stock OPA a good listen before I swap in my OPA2134.

I have tried the three Audio-gd opamps and sold them off except for Sun for its uniquely fun sound.  But I very much prefer good ol' high-tech audio-specified opamps.

A little tip on the a-gd opamps: those stock MKT polyester caps really need to be replaced.  They barely do justice to the things.  This guy puts Mundorf caps on old Bursons.  This guy sets the example for the a-gd opamps.
This guy probably beats all of us at going too far.  I would instead add regulators before reaching such a point, lol.

On an unrelated note, anyone tried this one?  Or this one?

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #4,743 of 7,383
Didn't see any discussion on this topic: I'm driving the Fidelio X1 "barefoot" (no amp) with a DSX.  I have the opposite problem that most people have.  Instead of lacking the voltage swing to drive 600 ohm cans, I'm lacking the current to properly drive these 32 ohm cans.  Don't tell me how "easy" it is to drive a 32 ohm load; from a design perspective the 600 ohm load is MUCH easier to deal with, especially in light of the output impedance around 10 ohms (it's hardly a factor when the load presents 600 ohms; it MATTERS when the load is 32).

Some of the opamps getting kicked around on this thread are rated for >50mA continuous.  Might one of these help?  The NJM4556 is the most interesting.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #4,744 of 7,383
  Didn't see any discussion on this topic: I'm driving the Fidelio X1 "barefoot" (no amp) with a DSX.  I have the opposite problem that most people have.  Instead of lacking the voltage swing to drive 600 ohm cans, I'm lacking the current to properly drive these 32 ohm cans.  Don't tell me how "easy" it is to drive a 32 ohm load; from a design perspective the 600 ohm load is MUCH easier to deal with, especially in light of the output impedance around 10 ohms (it's hardly a factor when the load presents 600 ohms; it MATTERS when the load is 32).

Some of the opamps getting kicked around on this thread are rated for >50mA continuous.  Might one of these help?  The NJM4556 is the most interesting.

Yeah the NJM4556 would've been my first suggestion for performance into low-Z loads.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4,747 of 7,383
Need some clarification on the following opamps

Difference
OPA827SM
OPA627SM
OPA128SM

Is the OPA128 superior to the top two and anyone know where I can purchase them for a reasonable price. Need 4 to on 2 adapter to fill out the headphone buffer on my Asus E1.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #4,748 of 7,383
OPA827 frickin' rules!  Very, very high fidelity.
I don't like OPA627, but it has its hefty fan base.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #4,749 of 7,383
  Need some clarification on the following opamps

Difference
OPA827SM
OPA627SM
OPA128SM

Is the OPA128 superior to the top two and anyone know where I can purchase them for a reasonable price. Need 4 to on 2 adapter to fill out the headphone buffer on my Asus E1.

I would steer clear of the OPA128, amazing dc specs, average ac specs (of those they even bother to list on the datasheet). Its designed for instrumentation, not audio.

An opamp that has me a bit curious these days for buffer type applications is the MUSES8920, good current output, jfet input, and wide open-loop bandwidth. I have an application that requires some jfet buffers with good current, so might end up getting some of these, or might just build it with discrete components.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #4,750 of 7,383
  OPA827 frickin' rules!  Very, very high fidelity.
I don't like OPA627, but it has its hefty fan base.

I heard the OPA827 have similar characteristic as the OPA627 no?

I would steer clear of the OPA128, amazing dc specs, average ac specs (of those they even bother to list on the datasheet). Its designed for instrumentation, not audio.

An opamp that has me a bit curious these days for buffer type applications is the MUSES8920, good current output, jfet input, and wide open-loop bandwidth. I have an application that requires some jfet buffers with good current, so might end up getting some of these, or might just build it with discrete components.

Very interesting MUSES8920 are very affordable. Much more than the MUSES01 and MUSES02. Will give it a try base on your suggestion. Thanks.

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,751 of 7,383
Sep 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #4,752 of 7,383

I have tried the three Audio-gd opamps and sold them off except for Sun for its uniquely fun sound.  But I very much prefer good ol' high-tech audio-specified opamps.

A little tip on the a-gd opamps: those stock MKT polyester caps really need to be replaced.  They barely do justice to the things.  This guy puts Mundorf caps on old Bursons.  This guy sets the example for the a-gd opamps.
This guy probably beats all of us at going too far.  I would instead add regulators before reaching such a point, lol.

On an unrelated note, anyone tried this one?  Or this one?

Omg the last two links have awesome specs, but their prices scares me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back