The Opamp thread
Jul 19, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #196 of 7,383
OK so #1- will a discrete opamp work well in the integrated HP amp in a DAC?
#2-I'm guessing that OPA-Earth is the way to go for a discrete with warm, natural, analog-like sound?

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #197 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by desaparecido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem at all.

I've read on a french forum a guy comparing the 49722 and the 4562 on a CD player, he said the 49722 seemed more detailed and more neutral(no screaming mids).

ok, I want two of these on DIP8 now
happy_face1.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #198 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK so #1- will a discrete opamp work well in the integrated HP amp in a DAC?
#2-I'm guessing that OPA-Earth is the way to go for a discrete with warm, natural, analog-like sound?

1. You would have to check the circuit to verify compatibility.
2. The Earth is very neutral, but tube like. Atleast in my experience.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #199 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read on a french forum a guy comparing the 49722 and the 4562 on a CD player, he said the 49722 seemed more detailed and more neutral(no screaming mids).

ok, I want two of these on DIP8 now
happy_face1.gif

Different circuits. You can't guess how it will sound in your application without trying it for yourself.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #200 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different circuits. You can't guess how it will sound in your application without trying it for yourself.

good point! but most everyone will agree that the bass is flabby on the 4562...and that's how it is for me too.

maybe that's how it is on the recordings, though
ph34r.gif

anyway, the 49722 is clearly an improved 49720....and I just love the 49720 sound, so it's only logical that I try this part
popcorn.gif

Dusty Springfield sounds so damn good on the 49720NA
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #201 of 7,383
Quote:

1. You would have to check the circuit to verify compatibility.
2. The Earth is very neutral, but tube like. Atleast in my experience.

Pardon my ignorance, how can I know whether it is compatible? I know I could swap it in for sure, but is there a way to tell if it would perform to its potential in my DAC?
2. Thanks for the suggestion
o2smile.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #202 of 7,383
Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, how can I know whether it is compatible? I know I could swap it in for sure, but is there a way to tell if it would perform to its potential in my DAC?
2. Thanks for the suggestion
o2smile.gif

I just mean generally. First off, check and see what is used in there stock.
If we know what the designer used stock we can give you sugegsitons that would be a upgrade oer the stock units.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #203 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good point! but most everyone will agree that the bass is flabby on the 4562...and that's how it is for me too.

maybe that's how it is on the recordings, though
ph34r.gif

anyway, the 49722 is clearly an improved 49720....and I just love the 49720 sound, so it's only logical that I try this part
popcorn.gif

Dusty Springfield sounds so damn good on the 49720NA
smily_headphones1.gif

Many will also say opamps sound different at various voltage levels also. The circuit plays a major part in overall sound quality.
You can use other impressions only to a certain extent. You will only know for sure once you test it and see if it works good for your application.
I think this is a reason many of us have such large collection. A personal tells us about one more opamps that sounds great and "wow, you have to try this!"
Searching out new opamps and testing gets to be a bit of a addiction for some.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #204 of 7,383
yeah, I can see how some ppl would develop some serious OCD about op-amps
canardeur.gif

I really don't wanna go this route, I'll try the LT samples...then the OP211/LM49722, and if I still prefer the 49720NA I'll still be very happy w/ the SQ!
panzani%20gino.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #205 of 7,383
Quote:

That's true, but only to a certain extent. At any rate, the LME49722 sounds like the french guy described it (compared to an LME49720HA regarding the upper mids, and to the LM4562NA regarding detail).
smile_phones.gif

My problem with these LME's is that they're all not-quite-natural tonally.

Well I guess eveybody has their opinions, that is why this thread is a good idea.
So we can compare notes on the various opamps.
Quote:

Ah and the opa-Earth is not tube-like warm for sure. To hear what warmth is try the LT1358.
happy_face1.gif

I guess that also depends on your gear and ears.
I think warm is not really a good description of them. They are very Valve like with some warmth but they are fairly neutral IMO...
That being said, I would say they are warmer then many chip opamps I have heard.
I have the LT1358's and from what I can remember they aren't a very warm opamp.
This is what I mean though, what your using them in and what your using them for can influence the sound quite a bit. You speakers/cans are also a factor.
Peoples opinion on the various opamps can vary quite a bit I think.

Quote:

For me: either I stay with the near-perfect OPA2727 or I return to the two OPA211 or I test the LT1632. Or maybe I try the LME49722 again just to make sure that the OPA2727 is better, like I thought last time.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not tested the OP2727 yet, does it have the "Burr-brown" sound that many like? Will have to try it out.
I have a few modules of the OPA211 tried them quickly but will have to try them for a extended period to see what they have to offer.
Thx for the suggestions.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #206 of 7,383
Quote:

I just mean generally. First off, check and see what is used in there stock.
If we know what the designer used stock we can give you sugegsitons that would be a upgrade oer the stock units.

Stock I have an NE5532. Which I like for how natural it is, but I'm looking for an upgrade. So I'm thinking of going with a dual OPA-Earth or OPA-Moon.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #207 of 7,383
Quote:

Heh as usual in forum talk there are different ways to conceive the same terms... So I call warm what is colored of red or another "warm" color, and cold what is colored of blue or another "cold" color. So the LT1358 for me is really warm, just like, say, the LME49860 is cold.

Yes, I think it is just diffent descriptions from different people using different gear!
Quote:

The Earth was not much colorful (neither warm nor cold) so... I don't really seem to remember tubes sounding that way, anyway...I guess it's impossible for opamps to exactly sound like tubes.

I find the Earth very neutral, not overly Valve like. Certain charachteristic remind me of tubes. Again, just a quick impression.
I like them for I/V because thy don't overly color the soudn compared to many other units I have tested.

Quote:

Definitely it does, and in its best shape. Just don't go above +12V or +/-6V

I figured it would, BB opamps sem to have a very charachteristic sound that they all share. Come have variations in response but I find the all have the same "color"
Yes, I was looking over the spec sheet awhile ago and noticed the CMOS construction and low voltages.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #208 of 7,383
Quote:

Stock I have an NE5532. Which I like for how natural it is, but I'm looking for an upgrade. So I'm thinking of going with a dual OPA-Earth or OPA-Moon.

The generic 5532 is in a socket? Do you have any opamps on hand to test out?

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #209 of 7,383
Quote:

The generic 5532 is in a socket? Do you have any opamps on hand to test out?

I only have the THS4032. By the way, I would definitely like something colder than the 5532. But warmth is a quality that I like.

EDIT: To the poster who said that the HDAMs might not be suitable for a 12v application, the Audio-GD web site lists ±9 TO ±25V as the proper range for everything but the Sun V2, which I'm not so interested in.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #210 of 7,383
Yes, but check the voltages in your units. You say 12 volts...
does that mean +/- 12 volts? 12 volts total -so +/-6 volts?

You will need to verify this voltage an what it actually means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back