The one that got away...
Jun 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

k3oxkjo

500+ Head-Fier
This is a thread about the “one that got away”. Do you have a headphone-related product that just eluded your grasp? I’ll start with my story. It’s about the Bo Derek, the perfect 10 of headphones, the Sony R-10.

Back around 1994, the availability of good portable CD players stoked my interest in portable hi-fi. I had a Denon CD player and a pair of Beyer DT-990’s and that system worked pretty well. But as always, audiophiles always want to see what’s around the corner.

As it happened, I was doing some part-time audio tech work at that time and one of my clients was Hart, who many of you know as the importer of the Earmax headphone amp. At the time, he was also bringing the hi-end Sony phones into the country. There were models at about $300 and $600 and, of course, the $4000 R-10.

On one of my visits I decided to audition the non-R-10 Sonys as an improvement over the DT-990. The $300 seemed to be a lateral move and the $600 had potential but the R-10 beckoned like Bo running on the beach from their perch on the shelf. I had to listen and the rest was history. I was smitten!

I left with no new headphones. The others seemed irrelevant after the R-10, but they were $4000! What kind of idiot would spend 4000 (1994) bucks on a headphone!

I told my audio buddy Dr. John about my discovery and rather than calling me crazy, he opined that if I sold this and this and this, devoted all my part-time job money and put it all in a shoe-box, eventually I would have the money. Idiocy turned into scheming.

The DT-990’s sold along with a few other items and my efforts filled the box up to $2000 pretty quickly, so I called Hart to let him know my intentions. He had two pairs in stock, so I was covered!

Finally the day came and the shoe-box was full. I called Hart to pick up my treasure. Only he had just sold the last of his remaining stock. But don’t worry, more are on order. Arrrggghhh!

Months went by. Hart said they are on back order, be patient! I had a better idea, sell me your demo pair! He declined…

Of course, no R-10’s would be forthcoming. A year or so went by and I gave up, though they remained in my mind.

One evening during a trip to Dr. John’s place, headphones came up and I told my sad story. Oh, I have a pair said John. He had bought a pair based on my enthusiasm (I didn’t know). From Hart. One of his last two. MY PAIR!!!! Arrrggghhh again!

The Sennheiser Orpheus seemed a good alternative, but would have required two more shoe-boxes and was hardly portable. Eventually, I bought a pair of HP-1000, good, but not the same. Eventually, I called Hart on the off chance that he would sell his last R-10's since they were by then officially discontinued. Oops, he had already sold them.

We fast forward to about a year ago. Thoughts of my old flame were far from my mind, but looking around on Audiogon one morning, my heart skipped a beat. There it was; SONY R-10 FS! Gulp! I quickly clicked off the ‘Gon, shut off the computer and went to work. Would Bo have aged gracefully in the ensuing 15 years? Should I spend the money?

Upon returning home from work I knew what I had to do. I went to Audiogon and found the ad only to be greeted by an ominous red SOLD! No, it can’t be! Not again! My eye then caught the zip code; Philadelphia. Could it be? Yep, Dr. John had finally decided to sell his Sonys…

Sometimes the fates have their own agenda and we have to learn to accept that. We all have our R-10s, our old girlfriends, the car we should have bought and so forth. The R-10 is my headphone product that got away. What’s yours?

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Interesting read, k3oxkjo.

I haven't been into audio long enough to have experienced anything like you have but perhaps other more experienced head-fiers have.

Haha keep hoping and hunting, maybe those elusive R10s will eventually be yours..
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 11
Wow great read! Pretty lame how much interest you showed in the headphones and all the people you talked to about them sold them elsewhere rather than to you, maybe some day you'll snag a pair
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 11
just goes to show that you should of kept in touch with dr john ;P

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 11
The Moth Si2A3 proved very elusive for well over a year. On one, I put in an offer for the full asking price something light eight minutes after listing. And someone beat me.

Though there is a happy ending - I got one last year. It was worth the trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin9988 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow great read! Pretty lame how much interest you showed in the headphones and all the people you talked to about them sold them elsewhere rather than to you, maybe some day you'll snag a pair
wink.gif

Naaaahhhh, it was just timing. John and Hart both would have loved for me to have got them after they realized how serious I was.

Anyway, I bought a pair of HD-800's, if I can't have Bo Derek I'll settle for Halle Berry...

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just goes to show that you should of kept in touch with dr john ;P

I did. It just seemed unseemly to keep drooling over his phones, so I didn't obsess (much).

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Moth Si2A3 proved very elusive for well over a year. On one, I put in an offer for the full asking price something light eight minutes after listing. And someone beat me.

Though there is a happy ending - I got one last year. It was worth the trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah! It's unbeliveable when you email a guy with a full-price offer when you are say, the 18 viewer, only to be beat out!

But I love stories with a happy ending, congrats!

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naaaahhhh, it was just timing. John and Hart both would have loved for me to have got them after they realized how serious I was.

Anyway, I bought a pair of HD-800's, if I can't have Bo Derek I'll settle for Halle Berry...

I'd 'settle' for Halle Berry too!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back