The old debate: Dynamic vs. Electrostatics
Apr 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
If you were going to put electrostatics, such as STAX, with a dynamic equivalent i.e. 'if this model of electrostatics were a dynamic headphone, it would be ______' what would it be and why?

I'd love to read from people who've owned / own both and also from people who've had this 'dilemma' and were not rich enough to afford both kinds of setups, which one they opted for and why.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 54
I sold my HD800s once I picked up a set of vintage Lambdas. The Lambdas weren't better across the board (slightly better speed and treble, equal midrange, equal bass quality, less bass extension, smaller soundstage) but I did find them to be more musical and effortless and was listening to them a lot more than my HD800. IMO, the Stax lineup at least from Lambdas/404s up can compete with the top dynamics.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 54
I have listened to the HD800 and actually spent some quality time with them (balanced). I was not impressed. Then I heard Lambdas and realized my preferences were electrostatics all the way.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 54
I'm similar to gilency,,

//I have listened to the HD650 and actually spent some quality time with them (balanced). I was not impressed. Then I heard O2's and realized my preferences were electrostatics all the way.//

Answering the OP's question, I would say the O2's compare to the DT880 in the respect of projecting a large soundstage that contains information.
Other than that, however, the DT880's arguably do everything else 100% the wrong way; they are a 180' turn in the wrong direction.

Another dynamic that you could compare to the O2 are the AD2000 and this is because of their speed. They can pluck sounds out of the air but there is still effort involved, so it's still not electrostatic.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by reaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like the way electrostatics compress the layers/instruments and make them sound squeezed together. Forté music with wide complex dynamics could sound awful. My reference: Stax Omega2 Mk2

You mean the level of instrument separation?

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 54
Firstly, a big hello to you all. I only joined this august community about, ooo, 5 minutes ago. So, I'm diving head-first with my first message.

Electrostatic vs Dynamics is surely a choice between priorities and, even then, it's not a simple choice because external factors play a significant part.

To give a simplistic answer applied in a vacuum, electrostatics reign over midrange/treble performance while dynamics offer superior bass. I use a Stax 007 with a matched valve head amp but also a pair of Sennheiser HD650s but have auditioned other bass crunching heavies such as the Denon AH-D7000. The Senns and Denons provide natural bass power, the Stax set offers sublime detail and nuance.

But...but...I don't think the choice is that simple. Firstly, because the 007 is lucky to offer a matched head amp and you have to hunt for something similar for the dynamics. Next, I think the 007s have more bass potential than many people believe and I'll give you 2 reasons. I changed the power cable on the Stax head amp for a Van den Huul example which increased overall bass power and tightened up the lower bass. Later, I plugged it into a Isotek Aquarius conditioner which removed distortion and effected more powerful, lower bass, further tightening up the upper bass and, becasue the mids offered more clarity and detail, bass now has a better 'slam'. Hence, the argument cannot be limited to just the cans themselves.

Anyway, lovely to be here - I'm from the UK, btw.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by BongoPaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, a big hello to you all. I only joined this august community about, ooo, 5 minutes ago. So, I'm diving head-first with my first message.

Wallet, yours, sorry, about.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ughhh, here we go again.....now that people are bored talking about HD800 vs T1 vs D7000, Stax has become the new topic of interest. Electrostats...FOTM!

Flavor of the MONTH? have you seen the stax thread? more like flavor of the century

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Alessandro MS Pro paired with a top level DIY tube amp vs. Stax O2 Mk2 with Stax SRM 727II solid state amp. I clearly preffered the first setup.

im pretty sure tons of people will disagree with you on the above but its your own choice and hearing as nothing is absolute in audio. Out of curiosity, what do you mean by top level DIY tube amp? Do you own it or do you heard it from meet? so does the stats, do you own it or just heard it from the meet?

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Alessandro MS Pro paired with a top level DIY tube amp vs. Stax O2 Mk2 with Stax SRM 727II solid state amp. I clearly preffered the first setup.

so ms pro with a top level amp vs o2 mk2 with a mid level amp.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back