The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #3,287 of 11,341
I don't know....I am still torn between the Onkyo and the Chord Mojo to hook up to my iPhone.   Same price for both.   I know somebody in a prior post got rid of the Mojo and was satisfied with the Z1R on the iPhone alone.

Incidentally, maybe it's my mind playing tricks, but the Kimber Kable I got yesterday does seem to give a bit more body and bass impact to the sound. The stock cable seems to be just a tad brighter.  I'll have to do more comparisons though. 

That was me. I use the Sony/Kimber cable... As usual, different combinations of cable/dac/source will vary depending on your hearing and psychoacoustic preferences, but I would save on the Dac and invest in the Kimber.

However if you must buy a Dac, a combination made in heaven for the Z1R is the Woo Audio WA8 which is what I would replace the Mojo with. It's also about 4x the price! :stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #3,289 of 11,341
Well, he prolly wouldn't wear it backwards if he'd worked on it.
At least I'd hope so, lol.

He's demonstrating how wide the sound stage is when you wear it backwards....
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,291 of 11,341

Comfort always varies a lot depending on the user. You know, ears, head, patience... but the Z1R are surprisingly comfortable, I agree. The lambskin pads are spft and have the right thickness and diameter (for my ears at least). The weight feels a lot lower, probably due to the wide headband and a softness that masks the pressure but is not exaggerated to the point of making them wobbly.

Something else I liked was how easy it was to reduce clamp. I've noticed that if you bend them open (literally, takes one second while putting them on) they retain the form for a few days and slowly gain clamp again. No need to put them on pillows or books over several nights. Grab 'em off the table, open a bit wide if needed, put them on, done.

The only thing with comfort that remains to be seen is warmer climates and summertime use. It may get a little hot but what can you do, it's leather.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #3,292 of 11,341
To answer you this....I found out...personally....stock cables is best tuned for Z1R. If you can not use the 4.4mm balanced, try to convert the stock 3.5mm to balanced. UPOCC is the best copper there is, and it brings too much warmth/sub-bass. Silvers brings the Z1R glares and harsher extensions. Stock cables is best tuned. I would like to use this picture again from Sony themself to prove my point again

You can see Sony using upgraded USB Cables, but not the headphones cables. I agree with this ! Try to tune your system with USB cables to get more from it.

Thanks for the info, one option would be to use the satndard cable with a 1=4 adapter or reterminate it with a 1/4 plug then. I'm not intersted in balanced though.
You confirm what i was thinking about the silver as well, the only phones I had that benefit from silver so far are the HD650.

That was me. I use the Sony/Kimber cable... As usual, different combinations of cable/dac/source will vary depending on your hearing and psychoacoustic preferences, but I would save on the Dac and invest in the Kimber.

However if you must buy a Dac, a combination made in heaven for the Z1R is the Woo Audio WA8 which is what I would replace the Mojo with. It's also about 4x the price! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice option as well I must say.
Do you have any more info on their copper cable, what copper is used, nylon/cotton sheething possible?
Any info on their new hybrid or silver series?
How's the quality of Kimber cable in general and for the Z1R in particular?
Any comparisons with Nordost Heimdall II, Jena Labs or Toxic Silver Widow?

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #3,293 of 11,341
Was playing The Journey (PS4) earlier, and I must say, with this particular game I actually preferred the T1's and HD800's to the Z1R. The added air and sence of space helps a touch with the euphoric grandeur of it all. It's mostly all orchestral or instrumental, and there's very little in the way of bass, even on drums, strings etc, so the Z1R's strengths simply aren't taken advantage of.

First time in a week or so thar I've actually reached for the T1's for use, beyond just for comparison purposes lol.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,294 of 11,341

I replace Sony/Kimber cables to FAW's Claire HPC MK.2, more clarity and detail heard. Also more cable flexble.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #3,295 of 11,341
seems amazon uk is on to the us purchase.....
....tried and got the following:

Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the delivery address or delete the item from your order. You can also see if this item is available for delivery to your address from another seller.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3,296 of 11,341
  seems amazon uk is on to the us purchase.....
....tried and got the following:

Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the delivery address or delete the item from your order. You can also see if this item is available for delivery to your address from another seller.

I hope that means the units in the US are now being allocated for dealers, if that hasn't already happened yet. I believe that some dealers are still awaiting allocation? I could be wrong and I am speculating.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #3,297 of 11,341
  I hope that means the units in the US are now being allocated for dealers, if that hasn't already happened yet. I believe that some dealers are still awaiting allocation? I could be wrong and I am speculating.

well, Amazon US has em, was shopping for the cheapest.  I just refuse to pay more than 1500 usd for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back