The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #978 of 11,341
I think Nise means to say that the new cans will be 300% better than the z1000.-"to be honest". Even heard less expensive cans than the z1000's that sound better.
Believes the Z1 is a construction beauty compared to the z1000 generic build quality.
That's my take on it after reading again carefully...
Hi, Nise!
Drwlf is correct that this is a light post.
Hi, Drwlf!

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #980 of 11,341

Interview, in Japanese, linked via google translate. Includes comments on the bass. Don't recall if it was posted before.

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #981 of 11,341
So much talk about bass.  I wonder if the Z1R's bass can match the bass response of the SR-007 out of the DIY T2 or KGSSHV Carbon amplifier.  That's a tough tough test obviously.

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #983 of 11,341
  So much talk about bass.  I wonder if the Z1R's bass can match the bass response of the SR-007 out of the DIY T2 or KGSSHV Carbon amplifier.  That's a tough tough test obviously.

It's a dynamic headphone, so it will have more distortion, slower transient response and probably not as extended.
For example TH900 has overwhelming bass but because is overemphasized, LCD-X has faster, cleaner and more extended low end, but sounds shy compared to TH900, that's because slower bass sounds like more bass.
Same happens with speakers, Wilson speakers sound like will flex your entire house and Magico speakers or YG sound much more polite, but what Wilson has is elevated mid bass, YG hailey is linear to 20hz and sounds much more polite, but has better bass extension than Wilson Alexandria XLF according to measurements.

YG Hailey
http://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/page/yg-acoustics/yg-acoustics-hailey-1-2

Wilson Alexandria XLF
http://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/page/wilson-audio/wilson-audio-alexandria-xlf

There is no headphone with better bass than properly driven 007 MK1. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #984 of 11,341

So I've been invited to the Singapore country release event.  I think this will be the last time chance we have to ask the engineers (in this case Mr. Nageno) about these products.  Ladies and gentlemen, time to have your questions answered.  Event will be going on at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Oct 1st, 12PM -5PM.  

PS: For any Singaporean Head-Fi'ers who would like to come (and anyone who can make it), please do PM me!

@thatonenoob 

In what way is Z1R better than R10 and Qualia 010? Why did Sony ditch the bio-cell and nano HD drivers? Is there something specific that LCP is good at?

Similarly, given the rise of many summit-fi level non-dynamic headphones, how would Z1R fare against, say STAX SR-009, Audeze LCD-4 and Sennheiser HE-1? What does Sony think of those products? Will Sony utilize planar magnetic or electrostatic technology? I know they've done an electrostatic speaker before (SS-R10), so they definitely have some experience in non-dynamic drivers.

Will Sony expand its currently Japan-exclusive "Just Ear" CIEM project to other countries?

I suppose these questions can reveal to us what Sony think "good sound" is. It's important to know what their criteria is, otherwise it's moot to discuss value without knowing what it's referenced against. Also, in their manufacturing commercial they claim "They have the world's best sound to carry out". The world is no longer in 1980s, so plenty more competitors exist in the summit-fi world, I'd like to know whether Sony considers them worthy. Or rather, is Sony still worthy?

Thank you in advance for your hardwork, thatonenoob. Really appreciated.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #985 of 11,341

It's a dynamic headphone, so it will have more distortion, slower transient response and probably not as extended.
For example TH900 has overwhelming bass but because is overemphasized, LCD-X has faster, cleaner and more extended low end, but sounds shy compared to TH900, that's because slower bass sounds like more bass.
Same happens with speakers, Wilson speakers sound like will flex your entire house and Magico speakers or YG sound much more polite, but what Wilson has is elevated mid bass, YG hailey is linear to 20hz and sounds much more polite, but has better bass extension than Wilson Alexandria XLF according to measurements.

YG Hailey
http://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/page/yg-acoustics/yg-acoustics-hailey-1-2

Wilson Alexandria XLF
http://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/page/wilson-audio/wilson-audio-alexandria-xlf

Well at least some of that is right.... 40% or so.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #986 of 11,341

That goes without saying about distortion but if they keep equating "feel the air" = excellent bass response  then it has to be measured up to the very best.  

I wonder that too why they abandoned both the Bio-Cell & Naco-Compo tech. The R10 & Qualia are still at the very top of the headphones world.  Why not improve upon that?  Obviously it maybe about "feel the air" concept  than  anything else.  

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #987 of 11,341
  That goes without saying about distortion but if they keep equating "feel the air" = excellent bass response  then it has to be measured up to the very best.  

I wonder that too why they abandoned both the Bio-Cell & Naco-Compo tech. The R10 & Qualia are still at the very top of the headphones world.  Why not improve upon that?  Obviously it maybe about "feel the air" concept  than  anything else.  

True. Hence I'd like thatonenoob to ask some questions to their tuning philosophy. It might be that Z7's lack of dampening and bass distortion are intentional. If they're going against the norm in high-end headphones, they should have a good engineering reason for it. It is also possible that the tuning is informed by mixing and performing artists. A lot of effort goes into these products so I doubt it's like "Hey let's make it bass-heavy like Beats and it'll sell like hot cakes." 

Back in the olden days, Sony's CEO Ooga Norio had a great relationship with Karajan(one of the last people he met with) and was a musician himself, that might've influenced a lot of Sony's decisions on audio.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #988 of 11,341

My 900 is bio-cell, and I can tell you that "feel the air" is in there without lacking the quality....it is the king of bass dynamic in my opinion. That means bio-cell can pump as much bass as LCP, the only advantage the LCP has is the liquid bass which may be expressed as in slower bass....but it definitely feel like a lot of bass (Z7 for instance)....but there are distortions if one is picky enough.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #989 of 11,341
  @thatonenoob 

In what way is Z1R better than R10 and Qualia 010? Why did Sony ditch the bio-cell and nano HD drivers? Is there something specific that LCP is good at?

Similarly, given the rise of many summit-fi level non-dynamic headphones, how would Z1R fare against, say STAX SR-009, Audeze LCD-4 and Sennheiser HE-1? What does Sony think of those products? Will Sony utilize planar magnetic or electrostatic technology? I know they've done an electrostatic speaker before (SS-R10), so they definitely have some experience in non-dynamic drivers.

Will Sony expand its currently Japan-exclusive "Just Ear" CIEM project to other countries?

I suppose these questions can reveal to us what Sony think "good sound" is. It's important to know what their criteria is, otherwise it's moot to discuss value without knowing what it's referenced against. Also, in their manufacturing commercial they claim "They have the world's best sound to carry out". The world is no longer in 1980s, so plenty more competitors exist in the summit-fi world, I'd like to know whether Sony considers them worthy. Or rather, is Sony still worthy?

Thank you in advance for your hardwork, thatonenoob. Really appreciated.

@thanatosguan  no probs I'll give it an ask!  As for Just Ear...there's very little chance that they'll be expanding it outside of japan.  I would be curious to see if we have trickle down from their driver tech in the next earphone line up.

My 900 is bio-cell, and I can tell you that "feel the air" is in there without lacking the quality....it is the king of bass dynamic in my opinion. That means bio-cell can pump as much bass as LCP, the only advantage the LCP has is the liquid bass which may be expressed as in slower bass....but it definitely feel like a lot of bass (Z7 for instance)....but there are distortions if one is picky enough.

Agreed.  I feel with bass, there's going to be varying definitions on what good bass is.  TH-900 represents (for me) the best mix of impact, extension, and quantity.  Of course, I'll be very curious to see how the Z1R holds up against it.  But I'm starting to sound like a broken record at this point because it's clear that I still haven't received my unit yet hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back