The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #770 of 11,341
Then it mother would be Qualia Q10
biggrin.gif
. Honestly, why can't Sony bring the same technology back with 70mm and improved designs, housing and the materials ?

Being a Sony fanboy I'd like to say: "been there, done that, what's the point of repeating" but that'd be too smug ;p

Actually I think it's just a different kind of tuning philosophy. Bass lays the foundation for the "as if hearing it live" feel they're chasing. The Amp designer/engineer even showed off some of his saxophone playing in the interview. They've stated quite clearly they're trying to emulate the loudspeaker sound with these new headphones, hence the 70mm drivers. Albeit without correcting the HRTF function how're they going to truly achieve it, i don't really know. One can dream.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #773 of 11,341
Sep 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #775 of 11,341
Lol....4K vs 2k ? Common...
biggrin.gif

Just spiking the crowd a bit. Carbon fiber vs Beta Titanium, lambskin with holes vs lambskin without holes, case with round corners vs case with pointy corners, this hype versus that hype, y'know how it goes, just to get the talk flowing and people going for their wallets.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #776 of 11,341
Go Fibunacci, Go!

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #777 of 11,341
Just spiking the crowd a bit. Carbon fiber vs Beta Titanium, lambskin with holes vs lambskin without holes, case with round corners vs case with pointy corners, this hype versus that hype, y'know how it goes, just to get the talk flowing and people going for their wallets. :D :D :D  

You forgot "potentially poisonous Beryllium vs no potentially poisonous Beryllium". :D

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #778 of 11,341
You forgot "potentially poisonous Beryllium vs no potentially poisonous Beryllium". :D

Oh yes. One does use something that can kill you very efficiently even in small quantities.

Of course that's almost impossible in the way it was implemented, but that should not keep us from spreading rumors about it!
So, no Fibonacci and it can kill you slowly but painfully, while charging you twice; Anyone going for that instead of the Z1R? Thought so. Sign here.

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #779 of 11,341
A concern I have with the Z1R, and any headphone for that matter is what group of people are tuning it ultimately. I'm sure they are using CAD for a great deal of the tuning, but in the end it will be a select group of people who use their ears to approve and dial in the sound signature for production. If companies rely on the same small group for this decision they will likely end up with fairly similar tunings between models (unless they really go out of their comfort zones on purpose). It can almost be an audio version of group think.

I really did not think the Z7 signature was so good that it would be worthy as the inspiration for a flagship effort so I really hope Sony did not just get the same group of people to "retune" the Z7 with a bunch of new tech. I would hate to spend this kind of money on a headphone to end up with a tweaked and improved Z7 with more resolution, that would be a shame. Still, I'm hopeful that Sony actually produced a new signature as opposed to retooling the Z7.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #780 of 11,341
A concern I have with the Z1R, and any headphone for that matter is what group of people are tuning it ultimately. I'm sure they are using CAD for a great deal of the tuning, but in the end it will be a select group of people who use their ears to approve and dial in the sound signature for production. If companies rely on the same small group for this decision they will likely end up with fairly similar tunings between models (unless they really go out of their comfort zones on purpose). It can almost be an audio version of group think.

I really did not think the Z7 signature was so good that it would be worthy as the inspiration for a flagship effort so I really hope Sony did not just get the same group of people to "retune" the Z7 with a bunch of new tech. I would hate to spend this kind of money on a headphone to end up with a tweaked and improved Z7 with more resolution, that would be a shame. Still, I'm hopeful that Sony actually produced a new signature as opposed to retooling the Z7.

Take it this way, CD3000 has another and it is R10, SA5000 has a mother and that is Qualia Q10, then the Z7 will also has a mother and it is in the name Z1R :D. To buy or not to buy is upon a person taste, preferences, wills, determinations to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back