The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #106 of 11,341
I could be getting a little too excited here but judging by the design of the cup / driver and the size of the headphones, could this be the "successor" the the R10 that we have been waiting for? I need someone to compare this to the R10 ASAP.

- InsanityOne 
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #107 of 11,341
I could be getting a little too excited here but judging by the design of the cup / driver and the size of the headphones, could this be the "successor" the the R10 that we have been waiting for? I need someone to compare this to the R10 ASAP.

- InsanityOne :D

Ship a pair to Purk and he will compare it to both the R10 and the Q10 :D. He will even bonus you against an Orpheous as well

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #108 of 11,341
  This isn't too encouraging either.
redface.gif
"How did the MDR-Z1R sound? Remarkably like the ceiling-high speakers in the corner of the room. Voices had the same expressiveness and timbre. While the headphones lacked the deep bass, the texture was still the same. Only a slight treble zing in the Sony headphones separated them from the reference-quality speakers, but they still shied away from being overly analytical."​  http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-high-end-personal-audio-range-is-suitably-nuts-hands-on

Sounds like a more treble less bass focused sound. I was encouraged by the low resonance idea (un-modded MDR-Z7s have too much midrange resonance) but the price, the size (huge, they dwarf an MDR-Z7) and now this means I'll stick with my MDR-Z7. There is no excuse for lacking deep bass. Their reviewer is hardly a bass-head, this spells trouble. Zingy treble? No thanks Sony.

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #109 of 11,341
Ship a pair to Purk and he will compare it to both the R10 and the Q10
biggrin.gif
. He will even bonus you against an Orpheous as well

I was actually just thinking that myself... Unfortunately I don't have the $2200 to put down on a brand new pair of these, but maybe some other generous Head-Fi'er will do it in my stead. Or who knows, maybe @purk will buy a pair for himself?

- InsanityOne 
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #110 of 11,341
This isn't too encouraging either. :xf_eek:

"How did the MDR-Z1R sound? Remarkably like the ceiling-high speakers in the corner of the room. Voices had the same expressiveness and timbre.  
While the headphones lacked the deep bass, the texture was still the same. Only a slight treble zing in the Sony headphones separated them from the reference-quality speakers, but they still shied away from being overly analytical."​

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-high-end-personal-audio-range-is-suitably-nuts-hands-on/

I just really hope they don't suck, cuz I'm not that big of a fan of the Z7's tuning.  It's still too early to tell, though. :cool:

That statement makes me excited because it sounds like it won't be bass heavy and it will carry a sound completely different than the MDR z7

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #111 of 11,341
That statement makes me excited because it sounds like it won't be bass heavy and it will carry a sound completely different than the MDR z7

I would have to agree, but I think it really depends on what gear they are auditioning these headphones on. If it is the DAP or Sony's new Amp (which is probably is) I doubt these headphones are reaching anywhere close to their true potential. I think we will hear a lot more about these once they get in the hands of reviewers outside of the event.

- InsanityOne 
o2smile.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #112 of 11,341
 This makes me feel a lot better!!!  Thanks and welcome to Head-fi, Mark!

Another audio engineer named Mark on Head-Fi. That's great, as I don't think enough of us care about headphones in our business. It's ironic, I mix and master on monitors only, but still have cans, for a different viewpoint - or to enjoy music quietly outside of the studio. Many have a "whatever" attitude, on what they use, or hearing loss in their choice of bright ("flat" - "reference" - LOL) cans.

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #114 of 11,341
  Sounds like a more treble less bass focused sound. I was encouraged by the low resonance idea (un-modded MDR-Z7s have too much midrange resonance) but the price, the size (huge, they dwarf an MDR-Z7) and now this means I'll stick with my MDR-Z7. There is no excuse for lacking deep bass. Their reviewer is hardly a bass-head, this spells trouble. Zingy treble? No thanks Sony.

i don't mind paying 2k or 3k for it. yet i assume it will sound more of a reference sound sig? i was hoping for slight fun. 

i didn't find any of the new flagships to suit my preference. HE-1000 sound less fun for me. LCD-4 as well. 

i enjoy HE-6 and TH900. preference wise stuff like HE800 is what i avoid. but lately i feel every new flagship is like HD800 but with better bass or dynamics. 

even the Utopia went HD800 direction..... again its a preference issue :<

i really hope that the Sony will suit me. although i am worried about the bass a little. i hope the Treble will be sparkly. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #115 of 11,341

a staff reviewer of television sets of a tech website wrote "lacking deep bass" compared to a pair of 7ft tall tower speakers ... hmmm... maybe that should be taken with a grain of salt, no?

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #117 of 11,341
  Maybe he tried to said the the headphones lacked bass compared to the mastering speakers in the room

lets wait for some review i guess

i am really looking forward for this sony new flagship. my 1st pair of good IEMs were sony when i started listening to music. like 10 years ago lol. loved the Treble and Details on their stuff.

lets hope for some news soon <3

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #119 of 11,341

This isn't too encouraging either.
redface.gif

"How did the MDR-Z1R sound? Remarkably like the ceiling-high speakers in the corner of the room. Voices had the same expressiveness and timbre.  While the headphones lacked the deep bass, the texture was still the same. Only a slight treble zing in the Sony headphones separated them from the reference-quality speakers, but they still shied away from being overly analytical."​

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-high-end-personal-audio-range-is-suitably-nuts-hands-on/

I just really hope they don't suck, cuz I'm not that big of a fan of the Z7's tuning.  It's still too early to tell, though.
cool.gif

So far the Z1R has similar build, driver size, and (I read) similar tuning to the Z7. Hopefully someone from Sony can explain the 3-4x higher price (especially considering the Z7's magnesium enclosures vs the Z1R's paper ones). If multiple people confirm the Rs are finally the true successor to the R10, maybe the price will make more sense.

No idea why Sony continues trying to make proprietary everything (they even did a proprietary balanced pinout on the MDR-1A's 3.5mm connector). Mixed feelings seeing their new 4.4mm balanced trrs connector. No problem if you pair the Z1R with their new player and dap but useless elsewhere (doubt other companies will adopt it; Z7s dual 3.5mm cable was meant for Sony's PHA-3 but it also happened to work perfectly with my Pono Player which was released around the same time).

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #120 of 11,341
True. Very true.
The R10 is pretty legendary (to me), but there is just so much competition nowadays. However it looks the most refined out of all high-end headphones, or rather the most beautiful.

Yes.. but we cannot see them while they are on our heads and our eyes are closed , immersed in the music. Comfort will always be much more key(and certainly it's sound) to me. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back