The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #46 of 11,341
So he is not the engineer who made the R10 or Qualia Q10
biggrin.gif
? Ok, pass. Will keep myself on the thread for more impressions and news, but my interested had been severely damaged

Haha.  It was definitely designed by Chief Architect Koji Nageno.  I feel though, it is not as dark as the MDR-Z7. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #48 of 11,341
Haha.  It was definitely designed by Chief Architect Koji Nageno.  I feel though, it is not as dark as the MDR-Z7. 

That is a good thing, 0 resonances housing is good, but the drivers materials has distortions and the tonal is not as organic as my 900 (which is Bio-cell drivers and they are well known for that). Why has Sony not developed any 70mm Nano-composite drivers...but LCP based drivers again ? Argggg

I am very impressed by the cup housings, the designs overall....just not the drivers. I hope Fostex will bring it later :D

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #49 of 11,341
I am curious about the sound signature, 70mm, big headphone

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #50 of 11,341
So he is not the engineer who made the R10 or Qualia Q10
biggrin.gif
? Ok, pass. Will keep myself on the thread for more impressions and news, but my interested had been severely damaged

This isn't too encouraging either.
redface.gif

"How did the MDR-Z1R sound? Remarkably like the ceiling-high speakers in the corner of the room. Voices had the same expressiveness and timbre.  While the headphones lacked the deep bass, the texture was still the same. Only a slight treble zing in the Sony headphones separated them from the reference-quality speakers, but they still shied away from being overly analytical."​

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-high-end-personal-audio-range-is-suitably-nuts-hands-on/

I just really hope they don't suck, cuz I'm not that big of a fan of the Z7's tuning.  It's still too early to tell, though.
cool.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #53 of 11,341
US website is up.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-z1r

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #60 of 11,341
  "Most significantly, the MDR-Z1R was developed in collaboration with one of the top mastering engineers at Sony Music Battery Studios, who benchmarked its overall performance in comparison with his super high-end reference speakers."

The engineer of the studio is Mark Wilder, and he uses Dunlavy SCV speakers with Cello amplifiers at Sony Music Battery Studios...so if this Sony sound exactly like his speakers...mmm Stax is better :)

It's a shame because MDR-Z1R are one of the most beautiful designs I've seen, but keep in mind that Dunlavy speakers are bright af, like Lipinski.

I'm actually quite excited about these headphones as are the engineers, producers and artists that I've auditioned them for.  

For clarification, my system is Duntech Princess with Krell FBP300 amps in a Walters-Storyk designed room.  This system is hardly bright.  I doubt you have ever been in this room listening to music because if you have, this would not be your comment.

We have many different manufacturers and models of headphones at Battery and use them all.  Including Stax.  Please do the comparison for yourself, I think you will be impressed.

I feel you should give the Z1R's an audition before making comments like this.  What went into the design is very impressive to me and my participation was only a small part of the overall finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back