The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #106 of 419
Feb 10, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #108 of 419
Feb 10, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #110 of 419
Did anyone catch how many were sold from this drop? Full 1950?

no, about ~1800.  So, we may see a quick re-drop limited to about 140 units in a week or so.  I think Massdrop expected they'd sell them all, and they did come pretty close.  But if the m9XX drop history is anything to go by, they'll just re-drop quickly until they hit their allotment from Fostex, minus 50 or so units for replacements/warranty issues.  

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #111 of 419
no, about ~1800.  So, we may see a quick re-drop limited to about 140 units in a week or so.  I think Massdrop expected they'd sell them all, and they did come pretty close.  But if the m9XX drop history is anything to go by, they'll just re-drop quickly until they hit their allotment from Fostex, minus 50 or so units for replacements/warranty issues.  

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #113 of 419
I really like these headphones. Would they be wasted on gaming? How is their soundstage?

soundstage is very good for a closed, non-surround headphone.  I wouldn't buy them for the purpose of gaming, but I think they perform admirably with gaming.  But there are certainly better options as pure gaming headphones (X2 comes to mind).

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #114 of 419
Just joined the drop yesterday. Can't wait to get them in May. I plan on pairing them with a Schiit Vali 2+Modi 2 stack. 

I know Will said in the Massdrop discussion page that there won't be an upgrade in the near future, like what Fostex did with their TH-900 -> Mk2 because that would mean a big change in manufacturing processes, but I wonder if a few years down the road there might be a Mk2 version of the TH-X00s. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #115 of 419
  Just joined the drop yesterday. Can't wait to get them in May. I plan on pairing them with a Schiit Vali 2+Modi 2 stack. 

I know Will said in the Massdrop discussion page that there won't be an upgrade in the near future, like what Fostex did with their TH-900 -> Mk2 because that would mean a big change in manufacturing processes, but I wonder if a few years down the road there might be a Mk2 version of the TH-X00s. 

I've talked to somebody with knowledge and Fostex, as for now, seems to plan only offering the detachable cables on the TH900, as a product differentiation feature.  Obviously that could change, but also keep in mind that the main reason why people want detachable cables (easy cable swapping) won't apply to the TH900 mk2 anyway, because Fostex went 100% proprietary with those connectors, they're not like any other connectors on the market, and thus are unlikely to develop a secondary market for cables, like you see with 2.5mm connector models.  There simply aren't enough Fostex cans out there in the market for anybody to bother creating an aftermarket version.  I talked to one person who said it will actually be harder to recable the TH900 mkII than the current version, if you want to re-cable the TH900 mkII your only option is likely to be rewiring the internals of the cup and replacing the Fostex connector with a more standard 2.5mm cup side jack.  The shape of the new connector will likely mean that it will leave an awkward sized hole when you do that modification.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #118 of 419
Do the pads come off way too easy (the white holder doesn't lock in very tight) or is it just me?

once I got them adjusted how I liked, no, mine haven't come unattached at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back