The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #76 of 419

What makes something high end? Price? People say these compare favourably to the TH-900 which is 3x the price. Certainly when I owned the HD800 there was nothing there for me, would take the TH-X00 in a heart beat.

These cans are really glorious. Look, feel, sound... ticks all the boxes for me. Set and forget comfort, they fit like a glove for me. There are a few genres I probably wouldn't use them for but for rock and metal especially they're fantastic.

Knowing what system you heard the HD800 on would help to gauge - I indeed think they are high end.

The TH-X00 gives, to my ears, a very approachable sound. And in that sense you could consider it to be high end. But the best sound heard from the TH-X00 does not, to my ears, match the best sound heard from the HD800. There's just more depth, more palpability to the sound through the HD800. That's what I consider to be high end.

::

I do not care for the Fostex TH-900. I consider the Denon AH-D7000 to be more high end.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #77 of 419
I consider high-end as the same as flagship, ie to simply be what a respected manufacturer has decided is their technical best headphone.  With maybe an exception for Sennhesier, since technically the HD800/HD800s isn't what they consider their "best" headphone right now.  That doesn't really mean, by definition, that high-end is better than anything else, simply a designation by a trusted manufacturer that this is the best they could reasonably do with headphone technology.  So the THX00 wouldn't be high-end in that sense, since Fostex considers the TH900 to be better.  For companies that make substantial closed and open offerings, if they put roughly equal weight into both types, they might have two high-end headphones.  

So, the main "high-end" headphones would be:

Sennheiser HD800/HD800s
HiFiMan HE1000
AKG K812
Fostex TH900
Stax SR009
Mr. Speakers Ether/Ether C
Shure 1540/1840
Grado PS/GS1000e
etc

This takes most of the subjectivity out of it.  You can say that the THX00 isn't high-end, while thinking it's a better fit for the way you listen than the HD800 (I certainly feel that way, the HD800 simply lacks bass I want, and is too finnicky amp wise, but those are issues personal to me).

The THX00 is certainly mid-fi or even upper mid-fi, but for some people it is exactly what they're after.  It would never be my go-to reference can, but when I need closed, or want a bit more of a U-shaped, it's absurdly excellent, especially considering price.  Some people here bought it wanting it to be a neutral reference headphone and were disappointed.  Some people bought it wanting it to be a cheaper way to get Audeze LCD series sound, and were disappointed.  I bought it wanting Fostex/Denon U shaped goodness, and it certainly hasn't disappointed me one bit.  

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #78 of 419
  I consider high-end as the same as flagship, ie to simply be what a respected manufacturer has decided is their technical best headphone.  With maybe an exception for Sennhesier, since technically the HD800/HD800s isn't what they consider their "best" headphone right now.  That doesn't really mean, by definition, that high-end is better than anything else, simply a designation by a trusted manufacturer that this is the best they could reasonably do with headphone technology.  So the THX00 wouldn't be high-end in that sense, since Fostex considers the TH900 to be better.  For companies that make substantial closed and open offerings, if they put roughly equal weight into both types, they might have two high-end headphones.  

Sennheiser HD800/HD800s
HiFiMan HE1000
AKG K812
Fostex TH900
Stax SR009
Shure 1540/1840
Grado PS/GS1000e
etc

This takes most of the subjectivity out of it.  You can say that the THX00 isn't high-end, while thinking it's a better fit for the way you listen than the HD800 (I certainly feel that way, the HD800 simply lacks bass I want, and is too finnicky amp wise, but those are issues personal to me).

The THX00 is certainly mid-fi or even upper mid-fi, but for some people it is exactly what they're after.  It would never be my go-to reference can, but when I need closed, or want a bit more of a U-shaped, it's absurdly excellent, especially considering price.  Some people here bought it wanting it to be a neutral reference headphone and were disappointed.  Some people bought it wanting it to be a cheaper way to get Audeze LCD series sound, and were disappointed.  I bought it wanting Fostex/Denon U shaped goodness, and it certainly hasn't disappointed me one bit.  

Wow!  No Beyerdynamic T1 (1st or 2nd gen), and no Hifiman He-6, and no Audezes or Abyss in your list?  Are any of these inadvertently overlooked, or are you excluding them in earnest from your list of high-ends?

2nd question:  How different is your understanding of "High-end" from what is characterized as "Summit-fi" on Head-fi?

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #79 of 419
Wow!  No Beyerdynamic T1 (1st or 2nd gen), and no Hifiman He-6, and no Audezes or Abyss in your list?  Are any of these inadvertently overlooked, or are you excluding them in earnest from your list of high-ends?

2nd question:  How different is your understanding of "High-end" from what is characterized as "Summit-fi" on Head-fi?

The etc was meant to indicate that I didn't plan on listing every single company. With the HE-6, it's my understanding that HiFiMan considers the HE1000 to exceed it, and once the drivers that have already been made are all used up, the HE-6 will be discontinued.

My understanding of summit-fi is "unbeatable at any price for what I'm looking for." (with maybe the exception that the new Orpheus gets its own category, coming in at $55,000) And would be similar to High-end, except probably excluding some manufacturers. And some manufacturers would have multiple entries (stax especially).

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #80 of 419
The etc was meant to indicate that I didn't plan on listing every single company. With the HE-6, it's my understanding that HiFiMan considers the HE1000 to exceed it, and once the drivers that have already been made are all used up, the HE-6 will be discontinued.

My understanding of summit-fi is "unbeatable at any price for what I'm looking for." (with maybe the exception that the new Orpheus gets its own category, coming in at $55,000) And would be similar to High-end, except probably excluding some manufacturers. And some manufacturers would have multiple entries (stax especially).

Understood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #81 of 419
Just a heads up for anyone that like 80s pop with tons of synth. Been listening to Sarah Blasko's new album, Eternal Return and it sounds amazing on these cans.
The synth is incredible and her voice suits these very nicely.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #82 of 419

well said, give the price the TH X00 is a great headphone to own an recommend. I'm hoping we see Fostex offer it again  

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #83 of 419

Sennheiser HD800/HD800s
HiFiMan HE1000
AKG K812
Fostex TH900
Stax SR009
Shure 1540/1840
Grado PS/GS1000e
etc

Indeed. HD800 lacked bass and were too peaky up top for me (used Woo Wa7). Didn't want to mod them to nullify the peaks. Just didn't suit my preferred genres.

I've owned the 1540 too and would take the TH-X00 over it any day.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #84 of 419

A well-driven HE-6 can trounce the HE1000. It's a shame more people haven't heard it. There seemed to be a sort of sadness from some of the folks at HFM about its discontinuance. I think it was a favorite for many of them. But not many people are buying it. I like the HE1000 on the Cavalli stuff, but those items aside, I find myself somewhat indifferent to it.

I agree with your assessment that the Orpheus II deserves its own category. It is less a flagship than it is a gaudy royal palace, lol!

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #85 of 419
A well-driven HE-6 can trounce the HE1000. It's a shame more people haven't heard it. There seemed to be a sort of sadness from some of the folks at HFM about its discontinuance. I think it was a favorite for many of them. But not many people are buying it. I like the HE1000 on the Cavalli stuff, but those items aside, I find myself somewhat indifferent to it.

I agree with your assessment that the Orpheus II deserves its own category. It is less a flagship than it is a gaudy royal palace, lol!

Ugh I really need to own a HE 6 <.< before they futz out 

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #88 of 419
Hello, can anyone speak to the difference between these and the th500rp? In terms of sound and build. I can discern if these use the same driver or not? TIA!

Quote:
  TH-X00= TH600 drivers + TH500rp pads + wood cups. Pretty easy formula. I bet if you used TH600 pads, it'd sound almost exactly like TH600 (there might be some differences due to wood cups).

TH600 discontinued, TH500rp has lacklustre sales. You do the math. 
smile.gif

See This 
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #89 of 419
Hello, can anyone speak to the difference between these and the th500rp? In terms of sound and build. I can discern if these use the same driver or not? TIA!

no, these aren't the T500RP drivers, though they may be the TH600 drivers (some debate about that, but most seem to leaning that they are the same drivers as the TH600).

Essentially these seem to be: Mahogany gloss cups + TH600 Drivers + TH900 headband + T500RP pads + a plastic insert underneath the pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back