The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #541 of 646

At that price point ($4,500?) I think you would be better to go with a Modwright Oppo 105D.   These are highly regarded and they have a strong resale value on Audiogon.  Most people think of Lampizator when they think of tube DAC's  http://www.lampizator.eu/newdac/lampizator/Lampizator_DAC.html  I'd love to hear one of these.  I'm not sure about Carry Audio, I'd do some research before getting into that.

There is a dCS Debussy DAC on Audiogon, it's not tubes, but it is the best DAC for < $15k  IMHO  Should sell for $5,500 since it has a ding in the faceplate.  

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #542 of 646

At that price point ($4,500?) I think you would be better to go with a Modwright Oppo 105D.   These are highly regarded and they have a strong resale value on Audiogon.  Most people think of Lampizator when they think of tube DAC's  http://www.lampizator.eu/newdac/lampizator/Lampizator_DAC.html  I'd love to hear one of these.  I'm not sure about Carry Audio, I'd do some research before getting into that.

There is a dCS Debussy DAC on Audiogon, it's not tubes, but it is the best DAC for < $15k  IMHO  Should sell for $5,500 since it has a ding in the faceplate.  

thanks for the oppo105 mod link.   And YES the Lampizator in also in my radar (as well as TotalDAC (R2R), Metrum PAVANE (R2R), Accuphase new DC37 (imported direct from JAPAN direct......).

BTY, it is not Carry Audio, but....Canary Audio
biggrin.gif
   (an even LESS known company !  
frown.gif
  )

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #543 of 646
thanks for the oppo105 mod link.   And YES the Lampizator in also in my radar (as well as TotalDAC (R2R), Metrum PAVANE (R2R), Accuphase new DC37 (imported direct from JAPAN direct......).

BTY, it is not Carry Audio, but....Canary Audio :D    (an even LESS known company !  :frowning2:   )

I was looking at a used canary CD player but there is not much out there in terms of user feedback. If you find anything helpful please post.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #544 of 646
Yes, the noise generated by the power supply exist in booth houses. And It is not in the headphone, It can be heard by everybody in the room.

I don't know if you've solved your problems, but my situation might help you understand what's going on.

I don't have a 445, but I have an EC Zana Deux and at one of my two flats/houses there's always buzzing that can be heard near the filter chokes in the amplifier. This is due to unclean, "dirty" power coming from the power network. Nothing you can do about it other than try some power conditioners. I've experienced similar vibrations/issues with both the WooAudio 6 and the Schiit Valhalla 2 as well. However, it should not in any way impact the performance of the amplifier.

I seriously doubt that the tubes that you've received with the amp from Craig are at fault since he usually tests the amplifiers with those before he sends them out.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #545 of 646
I don't know if you've solved your problems, but my situation might help you understand what's going on.

I don't have a 445, but I have an EC Zana Deux and at one of my two flats/houses there's always buzzing that can be heard near the filter chokes in the amplifier. This is due to unclean, "dirty" power coming from the power network. Nothing you can do about it other than try some power conditioners. I've experienced similar vibrations/issues with both the WooAudio 6 and the Schiit Valhalla 2 as well. However, it should not in any way impact the performance of the amplifier.

I seriously doubt that the tubes that you've received with the amp from Craig are at fault since he usually tests the amplifiers with those before he sends them out.

Thank for your feed back. I Will have an eletrician coming this week to check my house's electric network and I also ordered sold new rectifier tube ( they are very cheap).

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #546 of 646

Yes, the noise generated by the power supply exist in booth houses. And It is not in the headphone, It can be heard by everybody in the room.

Shunyata power systems are very good.  APC makes less expensive power supplies and that may be all you need.

http://www.shunyata.com/

http://www.apc.com/template/country_selection.cfm

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #547 of 646
Dear All, I have a Question:  Is the front XLR plug of my EC445 " really "  balanced  ?  

In other words, is the front XLR plug here just for convenience or will a BAL or SE headphone Headphone's cable/plug really make a sound difference ?

I already have a good SE cable (1/4 jack) for my LCD-X headphone, so I wonder if I must buy another cable with Balanced XLR plug instead, or… not ? 
rolleyes.gif

I am asking this because the EC445 is SE input, so I have doubts about the Balanced output  ::)
thanks a lot

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #548 of 646
  Dear All, I have a Question:  Is the front XLR plug of my EC445 " really "  balanced  ?  

In other words, is the front XLR plug here just for convenience or will a BAL or SE headphone Headphone's cable/plug really make a sound difference ?

I already have a good SE cable (1/4 jack) for my LCD-X headphone, so I wonder if I must buy another cable with Balanced XLR plug instead, or… not ? 
rolleyes.gif

I am asking this because the EC445 is SE input, so I have doubts about the Balanced output  ::)
thanks a lot

Definitely balanced out, there was a drop in volume with balanced cable which I think is indicative of a balanced circuit.  Craig would not say it was balanced if it was not.  I compared the balance out to the single ended out using a XLR --> 9mm TRS adapter for the single ended.  The balanced was more clear, but it was not a huge difference.  This could be in part because the TRS adapter is copper whereas the XLR is silver.  The consensus opinion on Head-Fi seems to be that XLR cables sound better than TRS single ended, but the difference is not massive.  I installed Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cables on my LCD-3f and the improvement was HUGE.  It sounded like a completely different headphone.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #549 of 646

Definitely balanced out, there was a drop in volume with balanced cable which I think is indicative of a balanced circuit.  Craig would not say it was balanced if it was not.  I compared the balance out to the single ended out using a XLR --> 9mm TRS adapter for the single ended.  The balanced was more clear, but it was not a huge difference.  This could be in part because the TRS adapter is copper whereas the XLR is silver.  The consensus opinion on Head-Fi seems to be that XLR cables sound better than TRS single ended, but the difference is not massive.  I installed Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cables on my LCD-3f and the improvement was HUGE.  It sounded like a completely different headphone.

I received an Answer from Craig (short but precise, as usual :wink: : " Yes, it is transformer floating balanced, the only true balanced line. "

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #550 of 646
My EC 445 has to be cranked to around 3 o'clock to reach volumes I like on my Tekton Reference Lore speakers which are rated at 96db  1W@1m  
Since my Audio GD Master 9 can be used as preamp I went ahead and hooked them up.   So my chain is Macbook Pro ...PS Audio PWD2.....Master-9......EC445.....Tekton speakers
The difference was quite amazing. My speakers came to life!        
 Since Master-9 is rated at 9w @ 40ohms and the EC445 is 3W @ 8ohms any idea on what the resulting power going to my 8ohm speakers? 
Anyone else run a similar configuration to speakers?

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #551 of 646
My  5842/417 -> 6C45  adapters arrived  
biggrin.gif

But ... I am still searching for a pair of NOS tested & matched WE417A  driver tubes  (Never used, top quality) 
mad.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #553 of 646
  My EC 445 has to be cranked to around 3 o'clock to reach volumes I like on my Tekton Reference Lore speakers which are rated at 96db  1W@1m  
Since my Audio GD Master 9 can be used as preamp I went ahead and hooked them up.   So my chain is Macbook Pro ...PS Audio PWD2.....Master-9......EC445.....Tekton speakers
The difference was quite amazing. My speakers came to life!        
 Since Master-9 is rated at 9w @ 40ohms and the EC445 is 3W @ 8ohms any idea on what the resulting power going to my 8ohm speakers? 
Anyone else run a similar configuration to speakers?

I believe those Master-9 figures are power output at the speaker taps or headphone jack.
Those numbers are useless because you are not using speaker taps or headphone jack to connect to your 445.
Used as a pre-amp, the Master-9 will increase (pre-amplify) your source signal before sending it to your amp.
Therefore you need to know how much voltage gain the Master-9 has as a pre-amp.

The output power (WPC) of your 445 will not change, but it will sound louder (and possibly more dynamic) as the 445 is amplifying a stronger source signal.

In other words a pre-amp does not increase the power of your amplifier. A pre-amp increases the loudness of the signal being fed to the amplifier AKA "gain".

Edit: I just checked and the Master-9 outputs maximum 10V as a pre-amp (20V balanced), so much stronger signal than the average 2V output of most DACs, CD players or other sources.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #554 of 646
  I believe those Master-9 figures are power output at the speaker taps or headphone jack.
Those numbers are useless because you are not using speaker taps or headphone jack to connect to your 445.
Used as a pre-amp, the Master-9 will increase (pre-amplify) your source signal before sending it to your amp.
Therefore you need to know how much voltage gain the Master-9 has as a pre-amp.

The output power (WPC) of your 445 will not change, but it will sound louder (and possibly more dynamic) as the 445 is amplifying a stronger source signal.

In other words a pre-amp does not increase the power of your amplifier. A pre-amp increases the loudness of the signal being fed to the amplifier AKA "gain".

Edit: I just checked and the Master-9 outputs maximum 10V as a pre-amp (20V balanced), so much stronger signal than the average 2V output of most DACs, CD players or other sources.

Thanks, this makes sense,
Do you know if its recommended to crank the Dac and the preamp to close to max and control the final volume with the amp? Is the SQ better?
I usually use the DACto control the volume and its at 1/2, My preamp is at 3/4 and my amp is at 3/4  
Thanks again for your help.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #555 of 646

Thanks, this makes sense,
Do you know if its recommended to crank the Dac and the preamp to close to max and control the final volume with the amp? Is the SQ better?
I usually use the DACto control the volume and its at 1/2, My preamp is at 3/4 and my amp is at 3/4  
Thanks again for your help.

That's a lot of volume controls...
Your answer depends on whether your DAC has any voltage gain beyond the standard 2.0V output.
If your DAC maximum output is 2.0V leave the volume open 100%.
Then I'd use the re-amp volume control and adjust the amp to a setting that gives you the most enjoyable range on your preamp control.
Something like your normal listening level is at 50% on the pre-amp and max is around 75%.
Best to play around and see what sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back