The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #5,552 of 10,994

I have a few questions for you if you have the time.

How does the Fischer FA-011LE fare compared to the T1 in your opinion? What are the most noticeable differences? I know the T1's are many times more in cost. Just some preliminary questions before I hear em.

I'm listening to the FA-011LE on Monday evening, and possibly budgeting a few weeks ahead to buy if they fit the sound I'm aiming for (all I know is that they are aggressive so far). I won't have the T1 with me though, but I should be able to take down my LCD2's, Amp/dac etc.

LEs are a more "fun" sounding headphone. Not that they are more enjoyable than T1s, but their sound is presented in a more fun (less precise / accurate) manner.

They have a bit more mid-bass than the T1s which makes them sound punchy and full, but not bloated. They also deliver slightly more upper mid I believe, but this could be due to the T1s treble spike making the T1s upper mids seem a little pulled back relative to the LEs.

Other than frequency response, the LEs have a really intimate sound stage. It's quite deep, but fairly narrow - nowhere near the T1s in terms of staging and imaging, due to the sheer space created by the T1s. The imaging is precise on the LEs, but confined to a smaller area.

I reviewed the LEs in comparison to the HD650s over on my blog (passionforsound.wordpress.com) and highly recommend them as a fun, detailed and punchy headphone. They're pretty easy to drive and really enjoy (I love them when I'm just using my laptop with AudioQuest Dragonfly - great pairing!)

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #5,553 of 10,994
The T1's are the first HP's I've owned that when my kids tried them out they immediately asked who gets these when you die?

They are "Will worthy"  
beyersmile.png

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #5,555 of 10,994
the logo across the t1 cup is fading on my headphone has any1 come across this problem before?? maybe i should send them back?

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #5,556 of 10,994
Pretty amazing how good these are at imaging and soundstage... A lot of tracks sound completely different due to how well the T1's can separate the instruments.

Exactly. Thats how i feel too with my T1. Very good at layering the sound and it has the perfect imaging. The sound is super clean and very neutral. Every instruments played sound so realistic. Although the vocal has a bit of a bright sense but still quite acceptable. The 2nd best in term of neutrality is my hd800. It has a bit of a warm character on the mids and the bass so that more relaxing somewhat and bigger soundstage too. The ath3000anv is also very good..its not so neutral, the sound is colored, warmer, a bit darker to both (but not a dark hp), but also very clean and clear sounding performance. All the 3 are my fav headphones.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #5,557 of 10,994
I've always wanted some high end Audio Technicas. My headphone journey started a few years ago with AD700's then AD900's.

I didn't like the HD800's when I demoed them... they sounded very cold and harsh to me (Through a Bryston BHA-1)

The Beyer's certainly hit the spot though, I think the off timbre I have been noticing is due to resonance in the cups though which, honestly, is slightly disappointing.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #5,560 of 10,994
  I've always wanted some high end Audio Technicas. My headphone journey started a few years ago with AD700's then AD900's.

I didn't like the HD800's when I demoed them... they sounded very cold and harsh to me (Through a Bryston BHA-1)

The Beyer's certainly hit the spot though, I think the off timbre I have been noticing is due to resonance in the cups though which, honestly, is slightly disappointing.

Jesterphile, have you seen this? I'm jumping right in here, so maybe you guys have already discussed it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612796/guide-how-to-properly-dampen-your-beyerdynamic-t1

I also started with the AD700's, and now have the T1, and it's almost, almost perfect for me ... WIll try it with a Bottlehead Crack tube amp instead of my Audio GD SA-31 in the next few days. Maybe that, plus damping the cups, is exactly what it needs.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #5,561 of 10,994
I'm opposed to modding them while they're under warranty in case I damage something and void warranty - although that procedure looks fairly simple.

The resonance is only noticeable on some tracks so not really an issue. It isn't as noticeable listening through the Ember anyway as  it has a warmer/thicker sound compared to the Classic.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #5,562 of 10,994
I found a few things really tamed the T1s - a better USB cable (let's not debate it here, there are dedicated threads) and the right amp (Crack w Speedball in my case).

I'm not sure if what you're describing is resonance or just the treble spike's influence on overall tonality.

For me, the felt mod killed the T1s transparency and agility, but I haven't bothered with acoustic foam so there might be better options since the discussion progressed from the felt and cotton wool mods.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #5,563 of 10,994
It could be a bit of both? It seems to be an effect on the upper mids > treble area that makes them sound a bit hollow/resonant (similar PVC pipe lol) which is alleviated when listening through the Ember (could be the darker sound sig compared to the Classic tames the trouble frequencies?)

Either way its extremely minor and not really that noticeable unless I'm being critical, when just enjoying, and listening to music it isn't obvious or a worry.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #5,564 of 10,994
There is an active mod thread, but each of my attempts to mod detracted from the overall sound.

Have you tried the one with the cotton ball tied to the ground wire adjacent to the driver so as to block sound from moving in the ring shaped space around the driver? There were some folks who claimed success with it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/531401/ade-tuned-beyerdynamic-t1

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #5,565 of 10,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back