The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #9,166 of 10,994
This will be a subtle effect. We are talking less than 10% voltage boost, 20% power boost. 6/7ths vs. 14/15ths or 0.86 vs. 0.93. In audible terms it will be a small difference.

High output impedance means the power an amp can deliver to the headphone is rediced. It's not like adding a resistance boosted the bass. It could be rolling off mids and high in relation to the bass and the bass just becames bloated giving a sense of added quantity.

Hey guys, I successfully built my adapter while still can change the resistance, it's on a breadboard. Took this long because the 3.5mm female adapter decided to keep cutting out. 3 hours wasted fixing it and gave up. just connected everything to a premade 3.5mm jack. 

First thing I noticed, less mid-bass. It's there but pushed back.
But the most amazing thing, the sound stage opened up like crazy huge, with a very smooth overall presentation.
I think this effect may be because the the mid-bass is reduced, I end up turning the pot to volume match higher, so everything sounds more forward while mid-bass is pushed back.

Setup : DX 90 Line Out (v2.3.0)-> O2 -> 100 Ohm resistors in LR -> T1. This is comparing to when I remove the 100 ohm from the chain.
Wow, the effect is stunning. For me, it is definitely an audible difference. (Using Random Access Memories). Is this what the HD 800 sound stage sound like? LOL

edit: FWI read, it seems that higher Z_out should have caused T1 to behave more like the impedance plot and I might hear more mid-bass instead of less. I'll take a relisten when I get the chance.

edit2: well, it seems like I prefer the O2's near 0 ohm output compared to the 100 ohm ones. you were right, differences were subtle indeed. My initial findings were not accurate since I was moving from a DT 770 to T1 and immediately judging. bad.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #9,168 of 10,994
A little late to the game but the lack of the logo in that picture could be wholly related to lighting and angle of the camera.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #9,169 of 10,994
Hi
has anybody use these with vali?
Do you think that vali is a good starter?

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #9,171 of 10,994
Another question guys.
What is your opinion about OTL amp?
I've heard that best impedance match for otl amps is 300 ohms. has anybody use t1 with an OTL amp?

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #9,173 of 10,994
A little late to the game but the lack of the logo in that picture could be wholly related to lighting and angle of the camera.

Yeah, I have seen photos of T1 cups where logo was completely invisible due to angle / lighting conditions. They also inspired me to completely remove the logos after parts of them were wiped. But this is the real deal:

Originally Posted by heart banger-97

I've heard that best impedance match for otl amps is 300 ohms. has anybody use t1 with an OTL amp?

There has been a lot written about great sinergy between T1 and OTL amplifiers on Head.fi - even a modest OTL + T1 is really a short cut to sonic bliss, and you have to spend a lot more to gain any significant increase.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #9,174 of 10,994
Another question guys.

As above the T1 & OTL can make for a awesome pairing they have great synergy. I ran my T1's with a modified Bottlehead Crack and premium tubes they made a seriously good combination imho.

review in the link below

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #9,175 of 10,994
I am strongly considering picking up a pair of these. I game a lot too, does anyone know how they perform for games? I'm assuming pretty well because of their wide soundstage.

They are really great for Gaming . I will not say that they have a very large soundstage like AD700/AKGK702 or may be HD800 but they have a good soundstage & oreover their spatial separation qualitites make up for it .... so no issues with it ..moreover their ability to ring all 3 spectrum of sound in balanced way shines...

Though your own impression will also depend upon which previous headhones's you have used ...

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #9,176 of 10,994
Friends...haven't been on community yet after recently purchasing T1 due to some reasons... burn-in of almost only 50-60 hours for the headphones in a month ..same due to some reasons..ya but now time to move onto music again!!!

Some pics of my T1 after opening the box :  

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #9,177 of 10,994
  Friends...haven't been on community yet after recently purchasing T1 due to some reasons... burn-in of almost only 50-60 hours for the headphones in a month ..same due to some reasons..ya but now time to move onto music again!!!

Some pics of my T1 after opening the box :  

Have a blast, @gab840 !

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #9,178 of 10,994

Going to write-up my current impressions of T1 but shall know some background first to help me with your suggestions :

With my idea of these two headphones you will come to know what I expect :

AD700 : Pros : Amazing Soundstage(Greatest Quality of this Headphone which brings you to a Cinematic kind of esp. in Movies/Games/Series/Music etc) Great Mids(not                      lusher but mids are perfectly present not subdued) & Treble(Sparkle is there which is really Good).Really Comfortable Headphones.
            Cons : Bass , Very Light Bass ,Lacks energy.

HE-400 : Pros : Great Bass, Creamy & Lush Great Mids(but upper mids recessed badly) , Technically Much better than AD700.
             Cons: Upper Mids Recessed Badly , Diff. tonality due to forward Lower mIds ,Treble unlikely on down side & just O.K soundstage (note:xf_eek:nly                                                 with Velour pads "on" without it soundstage is very small & bad which I will not recommend) but yes a good amount of depth with Velours.Really Heavy                        Hp's & comfort is on down side.

Now the T1

1. Really Impressed by its ability to bring whole spectrum of sound(Bass/Mids/Treble) together with none of them being Overwhelming .. This overall Balance really impressed me a lot..Such balance to be find out finally in Flagships Headphones.
  2. Spatial Qualities They are really Great ....Great means Great They don't have the Biggest Soundstage like AD700 with my current setup but there spatial qualities are really amazing. T1's HAVE BEEN KNOWN FOR THIS.
  3. What impressed me most out of Mids/Treble/Bass was the Bass which I really wasn't expecting .I didn't purchased T1 esp. for Bass but amazingly that's what has impressed me most out of three. Whether it is sub-bass, ambient kind of bass , mid bass bass etc whatever kind of, its there & is isn't overwhelming with other Frequencies its Great!!
  4. Comfortable : Top-notch .

But I will say I am not overall very impressed by T1 yet depending upon it being a flagship Headphone & a Top-Tier Headphone.

What it lacks :

1)Most Important Point :
What I Feel like The sound doesnt have a character to it .I am not going against the neutrality thing but it just feels like the sound is just present but its without character thats the best word I can Speak out of my mind , it lacks body .Mids ae there present but just present , treble is present but just present (unlike AD700 which had good sparkle to treble) , it lack feelings something like that.

2) I need more soundstage(Width/Depth/Verticality) , this one currently is not enough just a lil more than he-400 , its still working because of its Spatial Qualities. I have heard people saying good things about its soundstage.

3)The Treble is not hot for me as such, but ya the "S" word hisses a lot in many recordings/movies etc which is clearly noticible, which I would like to remove.

Also, I think a little more Bass(mid-bass just a lil more) & a lil more sub-bass would be really a great thing.

Now thing which I haven't told you :
My current Setup : PC-->XonarDX.-->Fiio E17-->T1. 

1) Does my amplifier lacks the potential to power it properly , I think Yes, but at full power with a normal amplifier will it remove all the problems I mentioned, I don't think so it will be really that great a difference.

I have a heard & read a lot about T1, really a lot .. its being euphonic , liquid & superb & transparent mids, crystalline & sparkly & smooth treble ,Great Soundstage esp. depth which I yet to encounter ..obviously I want all that. I think it has more potential in all these terms which I mentioned as lacking...

Thats why guys I need you ...Your help to suggest me better set-up esp. an amplifier for my needs.I have budget of roughly 650$ but not beyond that.

Its already late .. a month since T1 & couldn't decide and order upon an amplifier 
triportsad.gif
 but now wanna finalize it by this week 
beerchug.gif

I agree costlier amps/dacs will always make a flagship headphones more better(but those quality amps/dacs also make mid-tier hp's better a lot) , I have always believed (in my short &  lesser experience journey of Head-fi) that a Flagship headphones shall not require a very high amplifier or dac to really shine out or to kick other headphones that are not flagships or to let us belive that they are really top-tiers & flagships one.

Also one more info need to share..With Xonar Dx dolby headphones "on" T1 become a lil better in terms of lil character & the bass automatically receive a great boost without being much overwhelming , with added soundstage it helps the different sounds in a song to grab attention easily & soundstage becomes more coherent (as normally sometime sound were more to left & right which should have been at centre) & tiny/microphonic details are easily heard but yes at expense of some other things like vocal quality & esp. generic transparency of sound etc. . But this isn't true with all songs. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #9,179 of 10,994
Another question guys.

An OTL amp must be designed with a specific and limited impedance range in mind. That is just the nature of such amps. It can be anywhere from 60 ohms to 600 ohms but is not generally a wide range as most valve types just can't support a wide range.

You should consult the specifications or talk to the manufacturers to find the best match for the T1.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #9,180 of 10,994
My current Setup : PC-->XonarDX.-->Fiio E17-->T1. 

No surprises there. You need a much better DAC and a much better amp.

The best amp I have found for the T1 is the iFi Audio micro iCAN.

The XBASS feature is very good at dealing with those recordings that are a bit bass shy.

The 3D feature really pushes the soundstage out of your head with the T1. It's amazing with movies.

The iFi Audio micro iDSD is an incredible DAC for the money too and drives the T1 very well in its own right. If you can't afford both right away, just buy the micro iDSD. It will blow the Xonar into the weeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back