The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #9,154 of 10,994
Is this Photoshop or what.

Nope, not a photoshop.

Logos were quite easy to wipe away with microfiber cloth - maybe they were softened with some kind of solvent earlier in their working life? Well, at least parts of the "hand printed" logos were quite soft, and the rest went away with some elbow grease. Anyways, these are almost 5 years old T1s, but new to me. :) They have some shallow scratches or rather indentations across the stainless steel meshes, pads are a bit flattened, but otherwise they look great.

And of course they work great! Now if I could just find the time to finish my Bottlehead Crack, Cayin C5 isn't really good pairing with them...

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #9,155 of 10,994
Since Beyerdynamic in manufacturing the MPH1k for McIntosh, receiving great reviews, is there a new flagship in the works?

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #9,157 of 10,994

Nope, not a photoshop.

Logos were quite easy to wipe away with microfiber cloth - maybe they were softened with some kind of solvent earlier in their working life? Well, at least parts of the "hand printed" logos were quite soft, and the rest went away with some elbow grease. Anyways, these are almost 5 years old T1s, but new to me. :) They have some shallow scratches or rather indentations across the stainless steel meshes, pads are a bit flattened, but otherwise they look great.

And of course they work great! Now if I could just find the time to finish my Bottlehead Crack, Cayin C5 isn't really good pairing with them...

Hey, why isn't the C5 a good pairing? I have the DX90 -> C5 -> T1 and on High Gain vol 4, bass boost ON (or off depending on track), I think it does pretty fair :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #9,158 of 10,994
Well, it's not completely bad - right now the Toto are blasting almost as good as they can... But on some quicker tracks (I listen to a lot of metal and prog rock) bass isn't even close to Bottlehead Crack (which I built, disassembled and is now waiting to be transplanted to custom made stainless steel enclosure).

I don't know why - C5 certainly has enough power to drive them loud enough even on low gain, but the bass can be sluggish, slow, muddy on some tracks... After all, it is only recommended for headphones up to 300 Ohm, and it can control the DT770 PRO 250 Ohm much better, I think.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #9,159 of 10,994
I don't know why - C5 certainly has enough power to drive them loud enough even on low gain, but the bass can be sluggish, slow, muddy on some tracks... After all, it is only recommended for headphones up to 300 Ohm, and it can control the DT770 PRO 250 Ohm much better, I think.
The bass is sluggish because @ 500hz and below, the T1s impedance is actually pushing 800+ ohms and peaks out at 1400 ohms at 80-100hz.

Source : InnerFidelity

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #9,160 of 10,994
Would the 100 Ohm adapter help in this case? I'm not sure why I ask this, but since this was recommended by another T1 user saying it helps make T1 sound less thin, so maybe, a magical cure ? :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #9,161 of 10,994
  Would the 100 Ohm adapter help in this case? I'm not sure why I ask this, but since this was recommended by another T1 user saying it helps make T1 sound less thin, so maybe, a magical cure ? :)

It's not magic.
It has to do with the fact that the T1's impedance raises in the mid-bass, so if you use an amp with high output impedance, the mid-bass is boosted.
Same happens if you add a resistor between the amplifier and the headphone.

The impedance plot can be seen as an equalizer curve when you are using an amp with high output impedance (or a resistor just before the headphone)

Here's the impedance plot for the T1
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1SN3964.pdf

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #9,162 of 10,994
Ahh!
Why do we choose 100 Ohm though? Is it just because the A2, A1, A20 from Beyer has 100 Ohm output impedance?

And I'm not so clear on using resistors to increase the output impedance of the amp. I mean, how does having an amp with high output impedance mean increased mid-bass? Or does it equalize the impedance plot to a flatter response? And, are we using the potential divider rule in this case, or some other rule?
Thanks!

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #9,163 of 10,994
Well, I don't hear any major non-linearity in sound when switching from OTL Bottlehead Crack to Cayin C5, most of the difference is just in bass agility - not in quantity. Could it be that the 1400 Ohm impendance in bass requires more volts than the C5 can provide, and so the drivers aren't controlled properly?

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #9,164 of 10,994

It's not magic.
It has to do with the fact that the T1's impedance raises in the mid-bass, so if you use an amp with high output impedance, the mid-bass is boosted.

The impedance plot can be seen as an equalizer curve when you are using an amp with high output impedance (or a resistor just before the headphone)

High output impedance means the power an amp can deliver to the headphone is rediced. It's not like adding a resistance boosted the bass. It could be rolling off mids and high in relation to the bass and the bass just becames bloated giving a sense of added quantity.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #9,165 of 10,994

It's not magic.

High output impedance means the power an amp can deliver to the headphone is rediced. It's not like adding a resistance boosted the bass. It could be rolling off mids and high in relation to the bass and the bass just becames bloated giving a sense of added quantity.

This will be a subtle effect. We are talking less than 10% voltage boost, 20% power boost. 6/7ths vs. 14/15ths or 0.86 vs. 0.93. In audible terms it will be a small difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back