The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #8,686 of 10,994
  Yep I get the same feeling after listening to my akg 301xtra for the past 8 years 
bigsmile_face.gif

Angled driver certainly do help by it is a psycho-acoustic issue. The brain is processing the information and not everyone gets it. The final solution if this is important to you is to try TBIsone vst plugin. It is free to try. That will put the sound in front of you like you are listening to near field monitors. Pain to set up but once you get it right it works. I have used it in the past but I no longer need it.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #8,687 of 10,994
Hi to all,
What is the current state of opinion regarding pairing the T1 with the Beyer A20 amp? Granted, its not as good or powerful as an A2 or A1, but given that it costs much less (around 350 GBP in the UK), I wonder whether its good enough as significant step up from an O2 or an iBasso PB2. Would it be a better match than a price-compared Schiit solid state, for example?

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #8,688 of 10,994
Hi to all,
What is the current state of opinion regarding pairing the T1 with the Beyer A20 amp? Granted, its not as good or powerful as an A2 or A1, but given that it costs much less (around 350 GBP in the UK), I wonder whether its good enough as significant step up from an O2 or an iBasso PB2. Would it be a better match than a price-compared Schiit solid state, for example?

I have the A20 myself and I currently use it with my DT990 600 ohm's. I plan on upgrading to T1 in the near future and has been wondering that as well. I've read this review:

http://www.headfonia.com/beyerdynamic-a2-reference-amp/

According to him the A20 has warmth, bass and fullbodied mids where as the A2 has soundstage, clarity and detail without being analytical.
I don't know about the A1.

I've read other reviews where people really like the pairing with T1 and A20 so I think it's all up to preference in the end. Also taken price into consideration I think, based on reviews, that the A20 is a fine option.

Since I already have the A20 I will simply start with that and if I feel it's not good enough I will probably look into A20 - eventhough its a bit pricey.

That being said, I've heard that Beyer will release new mid-fi and high-fi headphones this summer - wether that is true or false I can't say but I think I will wait a little to see what happens on that front before I go for the T1.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #8,689 of 10,994
My t1's sounds absolutely fabulous out of my jds c5 > sony hd5. The vocals are presented so realistically it's unreal and just to die for. Before I had the t1's, the um3x were my bench mark for vocals and the t1 smashes it..simple on another level. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #8,690 of 10,994
  Do you guys feel like the angled drivers actually help the music sound like it's coming from in front of you like a pair of speakers?

The problem I have with most headphones, including my akgs, is that is sounds like the music is coming at me from the sides.

You may want to look for an amp that offers crossfeed like Meier Audio Corda Classic: crossfeed tries to change that by mixing the signal between the channels to offer a more natural listening experience. You can find a description at Jan Meiers homepage: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/crossfeed.htm

Hi to all,

Both the A20 and the A2 are rated exactly the same regarding output power (170mW/250Ohm), but are implemented in a different way. I think the A20 is a really nice amp at a reasonable price and a very good option for higher impedance headphones like the T1. The A2 is more versatile in that regard as it offers switchable output impedance of near 0 or 100 Ohm.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #8,691 of 10,994
Many thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately the Corda Classic is above my budget. I got a recommendation to go for the Heed Canamp, it costs the same as the A20. Has anyone compared the two with the T1, and would recommend one over the other?

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #8,692 of 10,994
The Classic is not much more than the A20 I think... but you might want to have a look at the Jazz instead: even cheaper and sports crossfeed as well. I tend to recomment Jans amps as he uses the T1 when tuning them...

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #8,693 of 10,994
The Classic is not much more than the A20 I think... but you might want to have a look at the Jazz instead: even cheaper and sports crossfeed as well. I tend to recomment Jans amps as he uses the T1 when tuning them...
The Classic has been on my radar ever since I want to give SS a try again. Waiting for someone to resell theirs is like watching paint dry. :\ I guess everyone with one is happy so why sell it? Bummer for me. lol

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #8,695 of 10,994
The Classic has been on my radar ever since I want to give SS a try again. Waiting for someone to resell theirs is like watching paint dry. :\ I guess everyone with one is happy so why sell it? Bummer for me. lol

Yes, thats my impression as well... people tend to hold on to them.
If you're coming from tubes... the Classic is classic SS, i.e. neutral, not with a hint of warmth like the Violectric V200. Its not cold though.

@plakat - do you use your T1 with the Phonitor 2 much? How does the crossfeed implementation compare to the Classic or Daccord's?

Sorry, I can't say much on that... my Phonitor does not get much use these days. Currently I use the DAC2 most of the time, feeding either the K812 or the DT250, or the V281 driving the Abyss. T1 goes with the A2, which does not offer any form of crossfeed, but is still my favorite with most Beyerdynamic models I have.

Major difference between Phonitor and Classic (never used crossfeed on the Daccord as the circuits are identical as far as I know and I always used Daccord + Classic) is that the Phonitor tries to emulate near-field monitors with its combination of crossfeed, angle and center settings (what SPL calls the Matrix). While crossfeed in itself is subtle on both Classic and Phonitor (can be switched to only use crossfeed without the rest of the Matrix), the effect of the full Matrix setting is very easy to spot: it does indeed narrow the soundstage down and put it on front of me, more like speakers would.

Crossfeed on the other hand is just a subtle change of perception (and that depends on the recording), with the intended effect to remove stress by softening the strong left/right separation a headphone has by its very nature. As on headphones I routinely listen to EDM and electronics that don't contain natural spacial clues, that is not of importance to me and I therefore don't use it (with my current main amps mentioned above not even offering it at all). The Matrix is easy to spot even with this kind of artificial music, but I rather like being surrounded by sound, so I did not use that either.

The Phonitor does drive the T1 well, so problem with the combination. I found the A2 to be just a bit more lively and just as detailed, while giving it a bit more prominent bass when setting the output impedance to 100Ohm. If you're considering the Phonitor I'd suggest take a look at the smaller brother, the Phonitor Mini. It shares all relevant circuits with its bigger brother, removes some studio-related features and the preamp functionality... but costs *much* less.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #8,696 of 10,994
Just picked-up my T1s from a friend of mine who changed the connector to a 4 Pin XLR (Neutrik).  Also created an 1/4 adapter with the original T1 1/4 connector (Beyerdynamic also uses a Neutrik)  and a XLR female connector (Neutrik also), so I get the best of both worlds with my Auralic Taurus mkII.  

So I plugged the new XLR into the mkII balanced mode and put on my "Go To" track/song # 7, "Broken train" from the album Midnite Vultures by Beck and .......         WOW !!!!!!!   Details galore, crisp and clear sound, no grainyness, the focus and depth are to die for.

That's the best sound description I can give for now.  If anyone who owns these babies is wondering about the balanced connector being worth it or not, well, I personally give it a big thumbs up.  The total cost including the labour came to approx. $40.00 CDN.  Worth every penny. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #8,697 of 10,994

<...>

Sorry, I can't say much on that... my Phonitor does not get much use these days. Currently I use the DAC2 most of the time, feeding either the K812 or the DT250, or the V281 driving the Abyss. T1 goes with the A2, which does not offer any form of crossfeed, but is still my favorite with most Beyerdynamic models I have.

Major difference between Phonitor and Classic (never used crossfeed on the Daccord as the circuits are identical as far as I know and I always used Daccord + Classic) is that the Phonitor tries to emulate near-field monitors with its combination of crossfeed, angle and center settings (what SPL calls the Matrix). While crossfeed in itself is subtle on both Classic and Phonitor (can be switched to only use crossfeed without the rest of the Matrix), the effect of the full Matrix setting is very easy to spot: it does indeed narrow the soundstage down and put it on front of me, more like speakers would.

Crossfeed on the other hand is just a subtle change of perception (and that depends on the recording), with the intended effect to remove stress by softening the strong left/right separation a headphone has by its very nature. As on headphones I routinely listen to EDM and electronics that don't contain natural spacial clues, that is not of importance to me and I therefore don't use it (with my current main amps mentioned above not even offering it at all). The Matrix is easy to spot even with this kind of artificial music, but I rather like being surrounded by sound, so I did not use that either.

The Phonitor does drive the T1 well, so problem with the combination. I found the A2 to be just a bit more lively and just as detailed, while giving it a bit more prominent bass when setting the output impedance to 100Ohm. If you're considering the Phonitor I'd suggest take a look at the smaller brother, the Phonitor Mini. It shares all relevant circuits with its bigger brother, removes some studio-related features and the preamp functionality... but costs *much* less.

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm settled with the classic and daccord stack. I only asked because I've been curious about the crossfeed on the phonitor2, and people's impression with the T1.
Briefly on crossfeed. I agree with your take, and it's a feature that I always use for the comfort it brings during listening sessions. It is mostly subtle, and I have it on the low setting. However, there are some recordings such as Beatles stereo albums where its effect is in fact explicit. Personally I find them unlistenable with headphones unless with crossfeed engaged.

Finally, just a thought as a relatively recent owner of the T1 (bought it about a year ago), I think more should be made about using the T1 with higher output impedances if someone does not find the sound signature to their liking. Even with a cheap resistor adaptor, the bass is given a slight boost which I imagine will make the headphones more agreeable to a lot of people. Personally I like the T1's voicing, but a lot of headfiers do seem to like warm signatures. A 100ohm OI will not make a drastic change, but still a noticeable one.

When I was researching the T1 prior to purchase, I don't remember reading much about output impedances.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #8,698 of 10,994
I have my T1 since some weeks now and I am absolutely impressed by this one in combination with my Oppo HA-1. Just waiting for my Bottlehead Crack to be delivered to check out the tube camp. However I am considering to buy another headphone right now, which is less neutral than the T1. Maybe with a little bit more amount and punch of the bass, not a basshead though. Maybe a little bit more musical or forgiving.

Any ideas?

I've looked into the Audeze LCD2 or Fostex 600 maybe (doesn't have to be open). I liked the T90s also, however maybe another brand would be some good alternative.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #8,699 of 10,994

You may want to look for an amp that offers crossfeed like Meier Audio Corda Classic: crossfeed tries to change that by mixing the signal between the channels to offer a more natural listening experience. You can find a description at Jan Meiers homepage: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/crossfeed.htm

Bingo...that's exactly what Jan's crossfeed is designed to do...take the "between your ears" feeling and subtly create a more natural presentation that is slightly in front. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #8,700 of 10,994

Double Bingo 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back