The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,921 of 10,994

Quote:
I don't know man. I find the beyers to be much better across the board when compared to the D7000. The D7000 sounds great but not much better than the D2000 and D5000 in all reality. The main thing is the the bass is no longer a fart canon and is a lit better controlled. I just don't hear anything high-end from them. They sound slower than my beyers but they are warmer which I like. If they were to be a high-end can then I would say their sound is mediocre at best for being high-end. For $1,000 they sound like poo to me and I could never drop that much on them. My max for them would be $500.

Then again guys this is my honest opinion of them. I just find the D2000-D7000 to be largely over priced for how they perform. I'd take a DT770 over any of them any day. 

PAYING 1K is poo on any headphone . I paid 649.00 new for my D7000 and  got a great price on my T1 way under list and brand new. Love them both and yes i prefer the denon way more than the two 770 I have owned and gave the 15 year old the 770 for her ipod and dvd player. Its all good and everyone really does prefer different cans and everyone places their value on what they feel is good for them and I respect that but now listening to the T1 and they are my reference can no doubt.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,922 of 10,994
LCD-2 Rev 2 vs T1 comparison Round 1 (very brief break down)

Just had the most epic (portable) comparison testing session with the T1's and LCD-2's. Same tracks, same source, same interconnects, just a different portable amp for each (O2 for the LCD-2 and Continental for the T1). The O2 I felt had a touch more (defined) bass and clarity with the LCD-2 and the T1 a touch more bass, warmth and smoothness with the Continental. LCD-2's with the Continental were a touch too dark and bassy for me, but on the T1's I think they work wonderfully. Similarly, the T1's are a tad too sterile and less bassy with the O2 (just a touch mind, mainly sub bass).

In any case, I'll go in to more detail later in a separate thread. But after a few hours direct A/B'ing (as in, with a seconds gap between comparisons, over, and over, and over again lol, with dozens and dozens of tracks played exactly the same time). Not just me either, I used my brother in law and sister and we all pretty much came to the conclusions (almost) even before inferring with each other.

I think the T1's are my preferred can. Long story short, they are just a lot better at imaging and staging. They are a fair bit more three dimensional and actually cleaner. The area where the LCD-2's excel, predictably, is bass (sub bass that is, mid bass they are almost the same, T1's actually being slightly more detailed in the mid bass). Like I said, I'll detail specifics later (I have a fair bit to write), but if you listen to mainly Hip Hop or RnB exclusively, go LCD-2. If you listen to acoustic, instrumental, classical, pop, alternative rock etc, go T1. It's not that the T1's are bad with Hip Hop or RnB, they're great, but they just lack the sub bass oomph, which the LCD-2's offer and then some (but never unrefined or bloated). However, with other genre's of music, the LCD-2's bass sometimes becomes a bit of a hinderance, and instead clouds up detailing somewhat (the size of the soundstage and instrument/vocal positioning might have something to do with it too). Though the bass and thickness of sound does have benefits elsewhere, just as the T1's have pluses and minuses too.

I reserve final judgement till I've done a similar comparison with a desktop rig, but for now, the T1's edge it out (handily in some respects). Though I do love the bass of the LCD-2's, and the sometimes more realistic (not always) sound signature. Thing is, the LCD-2's have more to get done to be the 'perfect' can compared to the T1's, which imo, only need some more sub bass (mid bass is excellent), and maybe 5-10% smoother high's to reach that ideal near perfect balance.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,923 of 10,994

Quote:
Refer to a previous thread on how long shall a the high fidelity headphones run, when doing some blind test on caps, I've found my friends T1 (ran for 300 hrs), comparing to mine (150 hs) has a noticably better sound stage and bass which allow me to discern the differences between RIFA and ELNA caps.

Perhaps it's just manufacturing variations.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,924 of 10,994
$649 isn't bad for a new D7000 at all. Paying full price is though. I would say $649 is a fair price. I know audio is all subjective and I understand your points and I'm sure you can understand mine. I'm just no fan of thinking the D7000 is anywhere near high-end.

Quote:
PAYING 1K is poo on any headphone . I paid 649.00 new for my D7000 and  got a great price on my T1 way under list and brand new. Love them both and yes i prefer the denon way more than the two 770 I have owned and gave the 15 year old the 770 for her ipod and dvd player. Its all good and everyone really does prefer different cans and everyone places their value on what they feel is good for them and I respect that but now listening to the T1 and they are my reference can no doubt.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #1,926 of 10,994
Thanks for everyone posting to help me with my question. Zombie_X your little comparison helped me a lot!

The D7000's are €890 here, thats around $1150.
The T1's is €800, so thats $1030.

The reason I brought the W1000x up was because this one was only €480 - $620. But I tought, since this will only be my second pair of headphones.. I don't want to buy something and regret that I should've spend a little bit more to get something better. I think the reason the T1 can be sold at that price is because its made in Germany, which is not that far away. 

I will be getting the T1, as I think I will be liking the neutral presentation with a warm tint. I listen mainly to Electronic but I am so curious about the T1 that it will definitely will not prevent me for trying out different types of music genres to see what this headphone is capable of. ( Its usually the other way around, I know
tongue.gif
) Anyway now that I got my headphone, I am thinking that my next purhase will be the Woo WA3, I don't think I am ready to spend over $500 on a amp without knowing what acutuall differences a amp can do to the music. 

Thanks again!

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,928 of 10,994

Quote:
LCD-2 Rev 2 vs T1 comparison Round 1 (very brief break down)

Just had the most epic (portable) comparison testing session with the T1's and LCD-2's. Same tracks, same source, same interconnects, just a different portable amp for each (O2 for the LCD-2 and Continental for the T1). The O2 I felt had a touch more (defined) bass and clarity with the LCD-2 and the T1 a touch more bass, warmth and smoothness with the Continental. LCD-2's with the Continental were a touch too dark and bassy for me, but on the T1's I think they work wonderfully. Similarly, the T1's are a tad too sterile and less bassy with the O2 (just a touch mind, mainly sub bass).

In any case, I'll go in to more detail later in a separate thread. But after a few hours direct A/B'ing (as in, with a seconds gap between comparisons, over, and over, and over again lol, with dozens and dozens of tracks played exactly the same time). Not just me either, I used my brother in law and sister and we all pretty much came to the conclusions (almost) even before inferring with each other.

I think the T1's are my preferred can. Long story short, they are just a lot better at imaging and staging. They are a fair bit more three dimensional and actually cleaner. The area where the LCD-2's excel, predictably, is bass (sub bass that is, mid bass they are almost the same, T1's actually being slightly more detailed in the mid bass). Like I said, I'll detail specifics later (I have a fair bit to write), but if you listen to mainly Hip Hop or RnB exclusively, go LCD-2. If you listen to acoustic, instrumental, classical, pop, alternative rock etc, go T1. It's not that the T1's are bad with Hip Hop or RnB, they're great, but they just lack the sub bass oomph, which the LCD-2's offer and then some (but never unrefined or bloated). However, with other genre's of music, the LCD-2's bass sometimes becomes a bit of a hinderance, and instead clouds up detailing somewhat (the size of the soundstage and instrument/vocal positioning might have something to do with it too). Though the bass and thickness of sound does have benefits elsewhere, just as the T1's have pluses and minuses too.

I reserve final judgement till I've done a similar comparison with a desktop rig, but for now, the T1's edge it out (handily in some respects). Though I do love the bass of the LCD-2's, and the sometimes more realistic (not always) sound signature. Thing is, the LCD-2's have more to get done to be the 'perfect' can compared to the T1's, which imo, only need some more sub bass (mid bass is excellent), and maybe 5-10% smoother high's to reach that ideal near perfect balance.

This isn't far off from what I feel. Although, portable gear isn't the best to truly evaluate high-end cans like these.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,929 of 10,994

Quote:
IMO the D7000s are knocking on the door of "high end" but fall just short while the T1s are well and truly entrenched in that standard. 

+1

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,931 of 10,994
nope, just the d2000.

and i wasn't really agreeing with the d7000 thing in that quote, it was the 2nd part talking about the T1 .

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #1,934 of 10,994
n°5910 just at Home , only 5 min listening but damn it's just astonishing , the impression of clarity and transparency is just wow  , was thinking in getting another DT-880-600 ohms , but it's useless now , K702 or DT-880 would just take dust . 

T1 is just the best head phone i ever had and by far (on my limited experience
tongue_smile.gif
) . Technicaly only the DT-48-E is close , the others are behind . 

And i am glad that my C2.1 SS amps seams powering them fine as it did with my gone DT-880-600 ohms .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back