MuppetFace

A Special Snowflake

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Wondering if there are any players here. If so, what do you play? Whom do you play? Do you play on the competitive level or in tournaments?

Do you count and watch frames, you obsessive person?

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 64
HUGE fan of 2D fighting games.  While I don't play them much anymore, I still own a few titles.  Blazblue Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift, Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV, and Marvel VS Capcom.  I can usually never find someone to play and I am not good enough to continued getting owned online and enjoy it Lol!  So I stick with solo play for the most part.  I love the work that goes into the art.  I was going to get King of Fighters XIII but saw too many disappointing reviews and the gameplay I did see of it, I wasn't impressed.  I will say that Blazblue is probably the hardest 2D fighter I've ever played.  You can't just mash buttons.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 64
I'm a long time 2D fighter fan...or rather, I was.

My absolute faves are Capcom vs SNK 2 (dammit Capcom, release this on XBL/PSN!), Street Fighter Alpha 3, and King of Fighters (the 90's/2000s). Third Strike is also worth noting.

I stopped playing after being disgusted by the overall bandwagon of cheese that everyone rides nowadays. Always picking top tier, cheap characters. I got bored and tired of it, very quickly. I like my variety. Facing Shotos 95% of the time... yeah, goodbye.

I want the new KOF, but fighting games don't have the appeal they used to. The Online community pretty ruined these games for me.

I honestly didn't care for Blazblue, at all, and I like Guilty Gear.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 64

I love my King of Fighters.

Terry Bogard has been a personal favorite of mine. Along with Ken Masters. Love my fighting games.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 64
Man I forgot about the Capcom VS _____ series of games.  I dug quite a few of them.  Also like Street Fighter Alpha as well.  I'm with Mad Lust Envy on how the online community killed 2D fighting.  Basically why I play alone or with friends who come over. 

Reminds me of when I was at an arcade and someone walked up, inserted their coin into Tekken 2 and went right to Eddie.  I looked at them and said, "Sooo you don't know how to play this game, huh?"  and they gave me a look like I better watch out so they selected the character anyway.  I just walked off shaking my head.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 64

I love my King of Fighters.

Terry Bogard has been a personal favorite of mine. Along with Ken Masters. Love my fighting games.

Thus proving my point. Lol. Top tier... all the time. Not hating, just saying, people always choose the BEST characters, and skip everyone else.

My personal faves in Street Fighter (always get good with them)

Capcom: In SF4, I had a 85% win ratio.

Cammy
Sakura (low fierce... gets jumpers everytime)

SNK

Kim Kaphwan
King

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 64
I play as I-No is Guilty Gear XX, and was sad they totally nerfed her in Accent Core. Started playing Aba more because I-No was made so weak.

In BlazBlue I play Rachel and Tsubaki, though playing Makoto is fun from time to time.

Not as into Street Fighter IV, but I liked the new characters in the "Super" and "Arcade" followups. Juri is my primary character now.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 64
So has the majority of the world. Lol. Meand my friends made up a song for SFIV:

Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Akuma
Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Akuma

Why? Because you're pretty much guaranteed to fight one of them online. Throw in a few circle spamming 'Giefs, and that fills up what Online Street Fighter has been. Eventually we starting placing random bets as to which one of the 4 was gonna be picked.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 64

Quote:
Thus proving my point. Lol. Top tier... all the time. Not hating, just saying, people always choose the BEST characters, and skip everyone else.
My personal faves in Street Fighter (always get good with them)
Capcom: In SF4, I had a 85% win ratio.
Cammy
Sakura (low fierce... gets jumpers everytime)
SNK
Kim Kaphwan
King

See, you're wrong for me liking 'top tier' characters for them being 'top tier' or cheap or just overly used. I've been playing Fatal Fury, King of Fighters for ages, but I grew up also watching the Fatal Fury anime. Also the Street Fighter 2 anime. I have fond memories of both of those. Terry is the main character in all three Fatal Fury anime, and Ken actually HAS a purpose/plot in the Street Fighter 2 anime. He's always been more interesting.

Who I like to play is a different matter.

Yun is a top favorite for Street Fighter. Kyo or Yamazaki or Gato for King of Fighters or Garou.

Lee Recca in The Last Blade 2. etc. etc.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 64
We grew up with the same animes. :) I still have my Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie on DVD. XD

Lord Laocorn! Fatal Fury was so ace.

But as for the games themselves, I've just never been someone that goes straight to thebest characters. People can have any excuse, but at the end of the day, these characters are chosen because they are easy to use and master, and have an advantage over pretty much every other character. I'm sure if Terry played like say... Geese Howard (highly technical and not easy to master), he sure as hell wouldn't be abused. Or if Ken played like Cody in SFA3.

I get the satisfaction of getting good with characters that aren't so easily exploited. Though I try to be good with as many characters as possible, assuming they have potential.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 64
I've never bee much into 2d fighters; I used to hate them, actually. But recently that's been changing quite a bit.

I tried Blazblue a little while ago and found it quite engaging, which pleasantly surprised me. I've been seriously thinking about buying it. I've also been getting pretty interested in Skullgirls -- I'm a huge fan of the artistic style and character designs.

If you guys had to recommend a title for someone interested in getting more into 2d fighters, what would it be?

BTW, with regard to the 'tier' thing:
Although I can't relate to how it works in fighting games, obviously, this is the exact reason I stopped playing Armored Core games online. It got to the point where you could predict the average ladder player's build. Which is just plain sad in a game like that. So I can relate to the theory, at least, and know from experience how lame it can become.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #14 of 64
While I certainly agree that people often exploit top-tier characters (Ryu, Yun, Sol Badguy, etc.), the motivation isn't always because they're easy to pick up and use to punish. Sometimes people just like playing as "the hero" or one of the archetypal main characters. They want to be "canonical," and part of that involves being in the role of the lead and envisioning the game's struggles as centering around that lead. Also sometimes people just get attached to a character totally apart from their play-style. Terry Bogard or Ryu have a backstory just like any other character, and some people may be fond of their personalities.

I prefer more unusual characters, myself. For me only a small part of it is liking the challenge of learning their play-style though, and the larger factor is just having the unfortunate penchant for liking characters who happen to be difficult.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #15 of 64
Its honestly not a theory. Its a factual human affliction. People will always gravitate towards sticking to what's known to be the best, and never truly stray from it.

Any game that has a player vs a player, its going to happen.

Look at shooters.

For example: Call of Duty. Need I say more? Play any of those games, and you will quickly see what the best weapons are, not because you know, butbecause everyone uses the same crap, every game.

Its very rare when someone gets out of the comfort zone and try something else that they may not be able to immediately exploit.

Skill is but one factor in these games. People see as anything that isn't the best, as a handicap. "Why use it when everyone has the better gun? Screw that, I'm gonna use it too."

Its sad, but true. You couldn't play a game of Black Ops without 7 of players from both sides using a Famas, Galil, AK74u. The trinity of bull****.

When you take out player vs player, and put them to cooperate, that's when they experiment a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back