The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Sep 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #347 of 754
Start with 325

Immediately replace headphone band to avoid rubbing bald spot in head.

Replace cups with woodies

Use modified bowls

Recable

Replace drivers

Perfect!

Ah, wait a second ??????

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #348 of 754
Question guys, are closed hp drivers typically tuned for closed backs or has anyone successfully done a transplant from a closed hp to a grado style cup? Also when a driver is 40mm on the specs,its safe to presume the diaphragm is the same size between different makes and models?

There are some interesting closed back going for cheap that might work. Mdr-v6 being one

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #349 of 754
  They have a used one for $18. Give it a try.

The pair of PX-95 headphones arrived this morning.  Later today, I'll do some comparison shots with those drivers against the PX 100-II drivers.

And the verdict it ...

The drivers appear to be the exact same driver.  The front plastic baffle is just ever so slightly bigger - but that will not be an issue.  Also, the PX-95s have a swivel built in and part of the swivel is a few tabs of plastic on the back of the driver baffle.  These would just need to be snipped off or filed down.  Again, more to follow later today - most likely this evening.

For $18.00?  Seriously.  This might be the new deal king.  The pair I received were in Sennehiser refurbished packaging.  The put the headphones, manual, etc. in a plastic bag, then staple a Sennheiser refurbished tag in place to seal the bag.

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #352 of 754
Does anhone know if the Sennheiser PX200 II drivers are the same as the PX100 II drivers? Would they work for the SennGrado build? Any sonic differences between the two?

Thanks!

This post shows that PX200 drivers look very similar to the PX100 drivers. The dimensions are similar to the PX100 drivers I have (which I measured at 46.5 mm).

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #353 of 754
Apologies for not getting the pics of the PX 100 II and the PX-95 drivers.  The weekend was really crazy - I've been up for 36 hours straight at this point and will get sleep before work tomorrow.   However, I also have a follow-up on a headband (on the cheap) that I may have mentioned before.  Walmart has the Vivitar DJ Mixer headphones for $3.50 a pair.  They may not be in the regular headphone section.  In my store, they were in the portable speaker section on the very bottom shelf and not really displayed too well.  The electronics employee knew the product immediately when I asked.  These headphones utilize essentially the same headband as the Auvio at Radio Shack.  Again, $3.50 per pair.  Lots of colors - Red, blue and black. 

The difference between the Auvio and these can be noticed.  They don't have a vinyl headband, but have a soft velour like (thinly) padded band.  The cable is 4' or so long and while thin, it does have woven poly material for the sleeve.  Oh, and the Vivitar headphones are about 2 steps (out of 100) better than the Auvio when it comes to sound.  The Vivitars have a better lower end - not necessarily solid bass, but bass with presence.  The Auvio was more anemic and made my ears feel like I had an ear infection.  So, why would you care about the sound when you'll keep the headband and ditch the rest.  I figured one could suffer through with them for a few hours while modding their SennGrads / GrandSenns and then lastly, take 5 minutes to transfer the headband on you're golden.

Just like the Auvio, the metal gimbals that insert into the cups are of a smaller diameter than the gimbal holes on a pair of wooden cups and are slightly sloppy.  I'll work on a method to mode the wire / metal piece so that it fits into the cup holder.

* Bonus: There's something that's slightly varied from the Auvios.  I've noticed that these curve a bit better to  your ear angle.  This is a good feature for fit and comfort.

Here's a stock picture of the exact headphones in blue.  You'll get the idea of the headband when you check it out. 

I'll be back in the thread in a few days.  Full days and nights ahead.

Oh, apologies for the mini novels in my posts.  I try to be as thorough as I can so readers will have a better perspective.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #357 of 754
  Surely I'm not the only one waiting with baited breath...

Curious to see how it turns out as well. The whole headphone was smaller in person than I had imagined, but I'll probably order another it if it works out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back