The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #5,013 of 5,895
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #5,014 of 5,895
Quote:
Most people spend so much on the camera body, they can only afford one lens. A DSLR with one lens might as well be a camera without interchangable lenses.

LOL!

That's why I bought a D90 instead of a D7000!

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #5,017 of 5,895
so uh... I haven't really read much of any of this thread. Basically, I hate people that do what I'm about to do.

What do you guys think of the Nikon D5100 for a starter camera? As in, I have no dslr experience, but I'm very excited to jump into photography.

Also, to kit lens or not to kit lens? I was leaning towards the D5100 with the kit lens for myself for xmas, but if you guys scream NO I'll reconsider :)

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #5,018 of 5,895
The 5100 + kit lens is a fine starting point. I also usually recommend to new shooters that they get a prime (35mm range for a crop body) - this forces one to think a bit more about composition and look for interesting angles and ways of shooting (move your feet) instead of just a zoom ring. 

Learn as much as you can about exposure (the meter in the camera is not infallible) and composition. The rest will take care of itself. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #5,019 of 5,895
Quote:
The 5100 + kit lens is a fine starting point. I also usually recommend to new shooters that they get a prime (35mm range for a crop body) - this forces one to think a bit more about composition and look for interesting angles and ways of shooting (move your feet) instead of just a zoom ring. 

Learn as much as you can about exposure (the meter in the camera is not infallible) and composition. The rest will take care of itself. 

Yes, some sort of prime lens was my next move. I figure after playing around with the kit lens for a while, I'll get a better idea of which prime I'd get the most use out of. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #5,020 of 5,895
Quote:
so uh... I haven't really read much of any of this thread. Basically, I hate people that do what I'm about to do.

What do you guys think of the Nikon D5100 for a starter camera? As in, I have no dslr experience, but I'm very excited to jump into photography.

Also, to kit lens or not to kit lens? I was leaning towards the D5100 with the kit lens for myself for xmas, but if you guys scream NO I'll reconsider :)

D5100 is a fine camera.
Just beware the D5200 is out there:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d5200-with-18/4505-6501_7-35534445.html

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #5,021 of 5,895
To me, the D50 is a good camera.

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #5,022 of 5,895
Yes the 50 is a good camera, it's just now you can double the resolution, improve the lowlight performance, increase the frame rate, shoot HD video, improve AF performance and all this for almost half the price of the D50s initial offering at.$999. There are much better out there now but if the 50 fills all you needs now just use it til it goes down.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #5,023 of 5,895
Quote:

D5100 is a fine camera.
Just beware the D5200 is out there:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d5200-with-18/4505-6501_7-35534445.html

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give a good look at the newer model.

Quote:

You know, there are quite a few of those floating around amazon for 130-150 dollars.. It's tempting to go for something like that to start. 

I actually haven't really looked into older professional models.. What about the D200 or D300 guys? Am I better off taking my money and buying an older "professional" model or a newer "entry" model?

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #5,024 of 5,895
The older mid-tier and pro cameras are great - well built, better suited to bad weather, etc, and some have improved shooting speed and autofocus. But their sensors are dated (as noted in other posts, the newer sensors give you improved low light performance and better resolution for less money) and the newer entry level cameras by and large also allow video (if that is interesting to you). 

Overall build quality and shutter life isn't really a major problem on the entry level cameras - unless you really think you are going to be beating these things up, and don't already have a large stock of older lenses to worry about compatibility with, I wouldn't worry about getting a used mid-pro tier camera.  Certainly not as your first dSLR. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #5,025 of 5,895
Quote:
The older mid-tier and pro cameras are great - well built, better suited to bad weather, etc, and some have improved shooting speed and autofocus. But their sensors are dated (as noted in other posts, the newer sensors give you improved low light performance and better resolution for less money) and the newer entry level cameras by and large also allow video (if that is interesting to you). 

Overall build quality and shutter life isn't really a major problem on the entry level cameras - unless you really think you are going to be beating these things up, and don't already have a large stock of older lenses to worry about compatibility with, I wouldn't worry about getting a used mid-pro tier camera.  Certainly not as your first dSLR. 

Any suggestions on MUST GET items?

I planned on picking up these two things along with the camera.. Anything else I gotta get?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VPE1WK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q3C98S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Users who are viewing this thread

Back