The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Dec 15, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #4,006 of 5,895
Well I picked up a heck of a deal today - a near-mint 80-200 AF-D (the most recent version, 2-ring with tripod mount) for $500. I've been eyeing a decent pro tele for a while, and I couldn't pass up this deal. Hopefully once the weather improves a bit I'll be able to go out and make some use of it.

Thankfully, that's the last lens I've really been craving. After this, I just wouldn't mind picking up a 77mm CPL, a Flash (SB-400 is probably sufficient), and maybe upgrade to a D90 body (it's been two generations, and the D90 looks like a great combo of features and price - I particularly like the high ISO performance over my D50)

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #4,008 of 5,895
Eh, a "Good Deal" would probably be no cheaper than 1600-1800, which is more than I'd ever want to spend on a camera. I also have no real need to go Full Frame - I'm quite happy with the extra reach DX gives me on the Telephoto end, I shoot a lot of ultra-wide, and the 14-24 f/2.8 while wonderful is absurdly expensive and doesn't work with polarizers.

A good deal on a used D300 I could see if its replacement comes out (the high ISO performance of the D90/D300 is why I'd get a D90 over a D200 any day), but I doubt I'll be using a full frame body at any time within the next decade.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #4,010 of 5,895
I have a software-related question: which would be better for handling Nikon RAW files, Capture NX2 or Photoshop CS4? I'm currently using Photoshop Elements 2.0 which suits my current needs just fine (as my current camera is the D80 and I don't use RAW right now) but eventually I'll be moving to RAW (once I upgrade the camera body of course) and I'd like to use the software that's going to help more in the creative process from RAW to final JPEG. CS4 looks like the more complete package since it has all the image editor features but its price seems too high and if I could help it I'd rather not buy an Adobe app.
wink.gif
Is there another equally solid image-editor that competes with CS4?

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #4,011 of 5,895
For RAW files definately Nikon software, either the free ViewNX or CaptureNX. For color they're the same, but for b&w conversion CaptureNX has more options and gives better results.

I have not been able to recreate the proper colors in other software, like Lightroom. If you're using your own curves, you can probably work with other software, but Nikon's own conversion gives a much better starting point.

CaptureNX is not that stable though. It's easy to use but not very reliable. So you could use ViewNX to make white-balance and exposure adjustments and convert the RAW files to JPG or TIFF. You can do that right now with the D80, all DSLRs can shoot RAW.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #4,013 of 5,895
I would consider just getting Lightroom instead of either one. If you're just making simple exposure adjustments, which seems to be the case, then it will work great with the RAW files, and you get an incredible image organization and workflow software as well. If you are currently using file structures to organize your images, lightroom will change your life. seriously.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4,014 of 5,895
I use Aperture and like that a lot, but it isn't a replacement for Photoshop.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #4,016 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey someone wrote a review for Carl Zeiss 21mm f/2.8.
Here is the link: The Missing Link

Thx that 21mm is a dream lens

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #4,017 of 5,895
I have a question about the Nikon NEF file. I have found that there is a jpeg image file embedded in the NEF file. I also found a little program for extracting it. My question is the jpeg made with the same settings as the raw file or is it the same as you would get if you shot NEF+jpeg? Also is it Large Fine or something else. I cannot find any details on this.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #4,018 of 5,895
What do people think of the Arsat 20mm? Any good? Anyone own one?

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #4,019 of 5,895
My new D300s camera body arrived the other day.
smily_headphones1.gif

(click for larger)

I also want to get a new lens to go with the D300s and am split between the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6. Anyone have any advice to offer or should I just buy both?

Thx for the answers about my software question btw, will look into either Capture NX2 or Lightroom...

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #4,020 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also want to get a new lens to go with the D300s and am split between the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6. Anyone have any advice to offer or should I just buy both?

I've heard good things about the 17-55/2.8. I think you'd want to have the constant f/2.8 as it offers much more versatility than the extra 30mm zoom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back