The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Nov 9, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #3,901 of 5,895
well he said it was better past 5.6 and at closer distances. I assumed he meant more than just being able to focus closer. But I'm leaning toward just getting the 1,4 and see how it goes first. I was looking at some comparison images to the Nikon 1,2 and the difference wasn't that noticeable. But then again, it seems laughable to make comparisons on a monitor, with tiny compressed images. like comparing the R10 and HD800 with an ipod as source/amp
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #3,902 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I'm leaning toward just getting the 1,4 and see how it goes first. I was looking at some comparison images to the Nikon 1,2 and the difference wasn't that noticeable. But then again, it seems laughable to make comparisons on a monitor, with tiny compressed images. like comparing the R10 and HD800 with an ipod as source/amp
biggrin.gif

Just get both and return the one you don't like as much.

Nothing wrong with looking at small jpegs or using ipod as source/amp. It will show OTHER things than resolution.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #3,903 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if anyone could offer some advise about whether to get the Zeiss 50mm Macro F2 or the 50mm F1.4. This is what Zeiss said about the differences when I asked them:

What do y'all think? I wonder how big the differences really are, considering the F2 is twice the cost.

That's a pretty honest assessment, especially considering the natural biases of a Zeiss rep. Personally, I've seen the 50 f/1.4 in action and its not very exciting at all. Loads of coma / spherical aberrations at f/1.4, gradually decreasing till about f/4; where it's performance is indeed excellent. If you wanted / needed an f/1.4 lens and were set on manual-focus I'd instead look at Nikon's own AI-S offerings, which offer similar performance to the Zeiss with arguably better build quality.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #3,904 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pretty honest assessment, especially considering the natural biases of a Zeiss rep. Personally, I've seen the 50 f/1.4 in action and its not very exciting at all. Loads of coma / spherical aberrations at f/1.4, gradually decreasing till about f/4; where it's performance is indeed excellent. If you wanted / needed an f/1.4 lens and were set on manual-focus I'd instead look at Nikon's own AI-S offerings, which offer similar performance to the Zeiss with arguably better build quality.

hmmm that sure does contrast sharply with everything else I've read about them.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #3,906 of 5,895
Wow, I just hit it with the air rocket, holding the camera with the lens mount down, hoping the dust would fall out, and it did, not a single speck left. That was easier than I thought it would be! Should have done that sooner

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #3,907 of 5,895
I will be doing my first wet clean on the D700 this weekend. It is to the point where the self-cleaning and rocket blower just ain't cutting it anymore. But considering that I change lenses frequently, often outdoors, it was really just a matter of time before it got to this point. Not that I'm complaining, it definitely resists getting dusty more effectively than the D200 did.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #3,908 of 5,895
Luckily, I've only ever had to do one wet clean. I bought a used D50 off eBay as a back-up and the sensor was filthy. Rocket Blower took some of it off but I had to use Eclipse to get the rest off. Pretty stressful initially but worked like a charm.

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #3,909 of 5,895
I'm surprised all of the dust came off my sensor, seeing as though i've never cleaned it in any way over the last year of use. I am pretty careful when I change lenses, always face the camera down and move quick. Maybe it made a difference.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3,914 of 5,895
Yeah, good news for D90 or D40 owners out there. But I guess most people who got the ZF are using D300 or D700? I might be wrong though. But it can expand the potential customers, why not?

Zeiss lens is kind of addictive. But unfortunately I can't quite afford to have several of these lenses....

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #3,915 of 5,895
or a D3.
tongue.gif
I know a guy who only uses ZEISS primes on his. I personally can't stand manually focusing sometimes.

What is so addictive about theses lenses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back