The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Oct 26, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #3,856 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I can think of at least one thing the Nikon 24-70 offers that the Zeiss 100 doesn't (aside from zoom).....field curvature!
wink.gif

What about auto focus?

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #3,857 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about auto focus?

None of the current Zeiss lenses in Nikon F mount have autofocus. In fact, the Zeiss lenses also lack CPU contacts on the lens. Therefore, the Zeiss lenses will behave in the same way as any non-CPU lens: Manual focus only, aperture must be physically selected on the lens's aperture ring, no automatic aperture control, and (on any Nikon DSLR below a D200) no metering or over/underexposure indication.

If on the other hand a Nikon-to-Canon adapter is used for mounting a Nikon-mount lens on a Canon body, the metering will be of the stop-down (as opposed to full-aperture) reading type. As such, only A (Av) or M modes are usable, and expect a darkened viewfinder at most shooting apertures.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #3,860 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of the current Zeiss lenses in Nikon F mount have autofocus. In fact, the Zeiss lenses also lack CPU contacts on the lens. Therefore, the Zeiss lenses will behave in the same way as any non-CPU lens: Manual focus only, aperture must be physically selected on the lens's aperture ring, no automatic aperture control, and (on any Nikon DSLR below a D200) no metering or over/underexposure indication.

If on the other hand a Nikon-to-Canon adapter is used for mounting a Nikon-mount lens on a Canon body, the metering will be of the stop-down (as opposed to full-aperture) reading type. As such, only A (Av) or M modes are usable, and expect a darkened viewfinder at most shooting apertures.

I thought it would meter, but only in one of the modes- the eye whatever its called- not spot, and not 3D matrix

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #3,862 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it would meter, but only in one of the modes- the eye whatever its called- not spot, and not 3D matrix

Actually, the D200 or higher will meter with non-CPU lenses, in either center-weighted or spot metering modes. And Color Matrix (but not 3D Color Matrix) metering (which is the same Matrix mode that's normally used with pre-D and pre-G AF lenses) can be enabled with non-CPU lenses on those bodies by manually programming the focal length and aperture information for a given non-CPU lens into the camera's computer. Each of those cameras can hold up to 9 different custom "non-CPU lens" focal length programs. And of course, only the A or M exposure modes are available since the aperture must be selected on the lens itself and cannot be set on the body like you would with a CPU-equipped lens.

The D100 and the D90 and below (including the D5000 and D3000, which are basically extensions of the D40/D60 series) will not meter at all with a non-CPU lens.

Thus, with your particular camera (a D3), the first paragraph applies. With such a non-CPU lens mounted, you can use either center-weighted or spot metering out of the box (default is center-weighted). And, it will take a little bit of work (chiefly manual data entry) in order to enable Color Matrix metering with a non-CPU lens.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #3,864 of 5,895
Just received my first Nikon: the D5000 and I'm blown away. Articulating LCD screen allows for waist level, candid photographs. Live view is a freakin Godsend since the camera allows you to zoom into the scene, resulting in accurate focus. I also love that you can choose the auto focus point during live view, just like with my Canon point and shoot.

The lens I bought is the Nikkor 35/1.8 AFS. Bokeh it renders is pretty nice and it focuses relatively fast and accurately.

I love the camera so much that I think I prefer it over the 5D I owned.
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #3,866 of 5,895
I don't own one, but looking at the sample pictures, 35mm 1.8 AFS looks like a lens that performs better than the asking price. I think if you put a metal body and better quality AFS mechanism in there while maintaining the same optical quality, I think people will still buy it and won't complain that it's overpriced. It also looks like one fun lens to use.

By they way, I received this: "Left FedEx origin facility" Woohoo!
I hope you don't screw me up, Fedex, hehe..

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3,867 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you are obviously spoiled by the build quality of your Zeiss. After using that for awhile I don't think you will find lenses even those in the range of Nikon pro lenses will be that solid anymore.
What other lenses do you use by the way?

Nikkor pro lenses aren't bad in any way, they aren't made for manual focus. The Zeiss' are specifically made for manual focus, that's why you get super smooth feeling of the focusing helicoid when you are focusing the lens.

I mostly use 17-35 f/2.8, 200 f/2, Zeiss 35 f/2 Voigtlander 58 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, Voigtlander 125 f/2.5. I also have a 24-70 f/2.8 for everyday use and 70-200 VR, I've been thinking on selling the 70-200 VR as it is the last lens I would pick when I'm about to travel.

Quote:

The thing is although that Nikon 24-70mm is very convenient and offers very good image quality, I think it won't be as good as the Zeiss 100mm, don't you think?

Yes, but I don't think it's fair to compare primes to zooms.
Sony has Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8, from all pics that I have seen taken with that lens, the Nikkor has much smoother bokeh and just as sharp.

Quote:

I've read a lot of information and arguments about this Zeiss 100mm. I've never come across one single person who is unhappy with this lens. But it also creates a bit of controversy because some people say that the superiority this Zeiss has is just the imagination of the owners and they reckon it's not that much different compared to Nikon's ones (placebo effect?).

The person might actually get a bad lens or the lens is simply not his preference or there is actually a better lens out there.
biggrin.gif
There are a few people over at NikonCafe that received bad copies of the Zeiss 100, most of them seem to have soft corners, so be sure to test your lens to a flat subject like a brick wall when you receive it, Zeiss 100 f/2 is supposed to be very very sharp from center to all 4 corners wide open.

Quote:

I really wish that this lens won't disappoint me considering I am still getting it although I already have 85mm and 90mm range.

If you buy it from B&H, they have a good return policy, just return it if you don't like it or if it does not meet your expectations.
wink.gif

Btw, here are the pics, I couldn't find a decent light object, have been very busy as well, so I took pics of my amp and DAC. Sorry for the late. I still have a few more pics.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2660/4056139805_32c075daf1.jpg[IMG]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/4056136257_e29fd6f484.jpg

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3,868 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah I don't either really. But I have a lot of good memories shooting with zeiss and Hasselblad, and I just love the idea of feeling like I'm merging my Nikon with that old camera in some way. Silly I know. But some of my favorite images were taken with that zeiss (not because of the zeiss though
wink.gif
) and shooting with a digital camera just doesn't feel the same, as good a camera as the D3 is.

I'm curious if I would enjoy shooting with the manual focus/aperature. I like the precision of auto focus, but it's almost too easy. Like automatic clutch. You like the m focus h. rav?

I love manual focus lenses. I was spoiled with the focusing speed of a pro lens, but when I tried a decent manual focus lens, I fell in love. I began collecting and using manual focus lenses extensively right after that. There is this exciting feeling about using manual focus lenses
biggrin.gif

I would never get rid of my MF lenses. Superb glasses last forever.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #3,869 of 5,895
Anyone have the nikkor 20mm F/2.8?
The images I've seen from it are very nice.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #3,870 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love manual focus lenses. I was spoiled with the focusing speed of a pro lens, but when I tried a decent manual focus lens, I fell in love. I began collecting and using manual focus lenses extensively right after that. There is this exciting feeling about using manual focus lenses
biggrin.gif

I would never get rid of my MF lenses. Superb glasses last forever.
biggrin.gif

I'm actually the other way round - my first venture into DSLR world was with my brother's D200 + 50mm 1.4 Ais lens. I loved it so much, tried AF lenses, although it's VERY handy, but deep down I still love taking pictures with old MF lenses. Hence the reason why most of my lenses are prime MF lenses.

I took this with a manual lens today: (awesome game by the way)

borderlandse.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back