The niche electronic music thread - synthpop / EBM / dark-electro / gothic / rythmic-noise / experimental / chiptune / etc.
Jul 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143

kiteki

aka Theta Alpha 1
aka Alpha Zeta 5
aka Alpha Zeta 6
aka Nanocat Systems
And many other aliases
The niche electronic music thread - - - - synthpop / EBM / dark-electro / gothic / rythmic-noise / experimentalchiptune / etc.

+dark-ambient, minimalism, noise, and closely related genres or crossovers. :wink:

Post stuff like -

- what you're currently listening to, and what equipment -> HP/IEM you're using

- provide links to youtube, grooveshark, last.fm, or similiar

- your latest discovery

- your favorite/ideal equipment, DAC, Amp, headphone, speaker or IEM

- your real-life experiences with this kind of music

etc.

I realise these are pretty niche genres on head-fi, but I'm fairly passionate about them, as are those that are into this type of music and lifestyle.

If you don't listen to this kind of music, I hope you find some new songs in this thread and like them.

If you're not familiar with the genres in the thread title, just click on them.

Happy listening!

/kiteki

- A few examples -

Synthpop

Second Decay - I hate Berlin!

Sabrina - Boys Boys Boys

EBM

Unknown Artist?

Das Ich - Destillat (VNV Nation remix)

C/A/T - Point Of No Return

Chiptune

Covox - Your Love Is My Leash

Instant Remedy - OUTRUN

Dark-Electro

scroll down to Unter Null and Android Lust

Experimental

Scroll down to Ryoji Ikeda - Data.Reflex

Gothic

To be updated

Rhythmic-Noise

To be updated

Dark Ambient

MrQ has provided good links further down this page

Good Equipment, Headphones and IEM's for this type of music

To be updated, post an opinion

Followers of niche electronic music on head-fi (Just post what you listen to and I'll list you)

- Kiteki (dark-electro, experimental, chiptune, rhythmic-noise +trance, hardstyle, speedcore, )
- MrQ (dark ambient, experimental gothic)
- Ynoskire (dark ambient)

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 143
"Electronic music" covers a huge spectrum of music, so I created a thread for this "niche" (actually I listed 7 genres here), and the generic "electronic music" is usually techno, trance and electro (that you hear on the radio) which doesn't quite fit in here.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 143
I know for a fact that the experimental side of electronic music is discussed in the electronic music thread. Because this is such a niche genre (I'm quite an evid electronic listener and i've never heard of genres like dark-electro or gothic) there aren't many potential posters here. If you want to reach out and try to make people familliar with this kind of music it might be wise to post a few examples in the first post / the electronic music thread. It's just a suggestion.

Edit: I've listened to an artist called placebo effect, and for some strange reason, I thought it was similar to this song. Which is made by a a black metal band
redface.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 143
Ok that's a good idea, I'll post some good examples of dark-electro and gothic inspired electronic music and inform people of the thread in the electronic music thread then, when I have time, have to think about which songs to post first kinda.

I know there's not many potential posters here but I want to enlighten more people on how good this music is and which headphones/IEM's/equipment is the most suitable for it (I don't know this yet myself).

A few users have contacted me in the past via PM, here is one such example from user "stozzer123"

"Hi there,

Just saw your signature at the bottom and it basicly describes the exact same music im into.

I used to work for midnight mess in tokyo and became friends with dj (violet) sisen got right into it ( Angelspit, auralvampire, wumpscut, emily autumn, dir en grey, tommy heavenly, industrial legacy and darkwave compilations)

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions

1. whats your current portable setup for listening to that type of music?

2. Can you recommend any good albums compilations bands etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated"

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 143
I haven't heard those before, thanks for the quality posting, I really enjoyed them.

I looked at the related links and found this one, I'm going to make a playlist of this music, it's very cool and soothing, not exactly what I usually listen to but fits in very well in this thread.

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 143

Quote:
Can't we discuss this stuff in the electronic music topic? Any reason to have less dubstep in there is a good one.

That's why I unsubscribed from that thread and I like dubstep. There seemed to be only an appetite for more commercial fare, which is fine. It's nice to find artists who are pushing the curve a little.

@kiteki

What do you mean by Gothic? I remember Gothic the first time around. I could post some Type O' Negative 
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 143
@ Ynoskire, the first song you posted sounds like Skinny Puppy, which is very suitable here, keep it up.

@ MrQ, Gothic is a vague term in music I think since it tends to cover several genres, however I'm referring to the original classic gothic like Sisters Of Mercy and Siouxsie and the Banshees, and so on, which then continued alongside post-punk, darkwave, dark-electro and synthpop, all of which are rather closely related, and least subculturally.

The last.fm definition of "Gothic" is pretty funny.

Anyway here comes my first song for this thread, a song I wanted to hear on good headphones a long time ago, which has now finally come to realisation.

The first time I heard it I was falling asleep on a train, and it entered my dream and then I had it stuck in my head for a couple days I think.

Android Lust - Unbeliever

Can't find it on youtube... listen here... http://music.androidlust.com/track/unbeliever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back