The Next Sony R-10!
Jul 20, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #106 of 155
Thanks so much for the kind reaction to my opinion. What is, and is not, perceived as "good" sound is subjective and I was very concerned about rousing the anti Sony giants that sleep in the deep dark hollows and crags of this amazing community of audiophiles. Lord knows I have my own love hate relationship with Sony but I understand that there is no malicious intent behind their periodic stupidity. Fortunately these moments are following by bursts of genius that remind us of the greatness they are still capable of. An example?

Killing AIBO. What an amazing example of consumer robotics. This had to create amazing publicity for them but they put AIBO down like...a dog
smily_headphones1.gif

In comes Rolly. I saw this at the Sony booth at this past CES and had to shake my head. Kill the dog but introduce the POG. After a couple of minutes I was hooked. It's a lot of fun and the only time I regularly play compressed music files. Genius. Good for publicity and generating word of mouth. My prediction is it will be gone in a year.

SXRD - Such amazing rear projection televisions. Too expensive so out the door.

OLED - Even more expensive but three different letters and very very flat. Great promise. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to spend a boatload of money on this technology, get us all excited, then kill it. Or maybe they won't. Either way it will be incredibly interesting to talk about, complain about and be one of the few to own as an early adopter.

What a boring world it would be if they were not here to incite our envy and ire. Like many of the products they have made, they are themselves loved and hated by many.

What fun.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #107 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yes I meant $6k as a baseline.

I got REALLY lucky on that auction... I put in $6k as my highest bid (my first bid too) and was willing to go a bit further. After that, there was only one person who tried to outbid me... and the person only went up by 1 bid increment ($40? lol) and for the last 2 days the auction did not move up one cent; it almost felt wrong from my end. That's always good because I turned the funds to work on my car and start saving for a nice t00b amp
biggrin.gif

Shipping from Germany was slightly expensive though >_<
Good luck finding your R10
thumbsup.gif

You probably know that was me that only went up to $40
wink.gif
. I was thinking about getting a backup to my R10s, but in the end decided to get my CD player which is a Audio Research CD7 (retails for $9,000). I'm glad you got them at a steal IMHO. I hope they bring you many hours of listening enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

Also thanks ansel1969 for your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
and welcome.

Lastly best of luck on finding your pair Quaddy. I hope you find one sooner rather than later.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #108 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably know that was me that only went up to $40
wink.gif
. I was thinking about getting a backup to my R10s, but in the end decided to get my CD player which is a Audio Research CD7 (retails for $9,000). I'm glad you got them at a steal IMHO. I hope they bring you many hours of listening enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks riceboy... and yes I knew if was you
biggrin.gif
I was wondering why nobody bothered to bid on the thing... especially the one other head-fi'er who wanted an R-10 and Qualia 010 and he even posted a thread about it (I have no intention to reveal the bidders' user names)

Congrats of on your new CDP btw
biggrin.gif

edit: Do you have any idea how to identify this R10... as in is it a bass heavy or bass light version.
I tried to look for the thread I read where one head-fi'er mentioned that one of the bass heavy version had a darker tint to the wood, but later production. I can't find that thread now
confused.gif
After google-ing for a while yesterday I think it's safe to say that mine belongs to the dark side

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #109 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks riceboy... and yes I knew if was you
biggrin.gif
I was wondering why nobody bothered to bid on the thing... especially the one other head-fi'er who wanted an R-10 and Qualia 010 and he even posted a thread about it (I have no intention to reveal the bidders' user names)

Congrats of on your new CDP btw
biggrin.gif

edit: Do you have any idea how to identify this R10... as in is it a bass heavy or bass light version.
I tried to look for the thread I read where one head-fi'er mentioned that one of the bass heavy version had a darker tint to the wood, but later production. I can't find that thread now
confused.gif
After google-ing for a while yesterday I think it's safe to say that mine belongs to the dark side

Thanks for the congrats on my CDP
smily_headphones1.gif

I've talked to many veteran R10 owners and many that are familiar with the R10s. They let me know that you would have to be familiar with them or you would need to have both of them side by side to hear the difference. The person I purchased my R10 from had sold over 5 R10s and knew the difference between the bass light and bass heavy version. I even PMed the person you purchased your R10 from and he let me know that it was the bass light version. As far as I know the bass heavy version doesn't have the layers and layers of detail as the bass light has and it is easier to drive to get the sound quality out of it then the bass light version. I hope some veteran R10 owners can respond here to give you more info as they have more experience than I. The seller of your R10 did let me know that he had the bass heavy R10 and knew the difference with your pair and identified it as the Bass light version. Why would you say you have the bass heavy version? I know that blubliss has both a bass light and bass heavy version in his possession right now. Have fun with them and if they don't work out for you let me know as I would be interested in them for sure. Enjoy the music.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #110 of 155
i don't know, i think that it just doesnt work as a buisness model. every company has gone all out on the "perfect" headphone, and they have all gone out of production. they're not going to stop making something that is going to bring in cash. and keeping a headphone IN production costs far less then designing and producing a new one.

i dont mean to be pesimistic, i just think that they aren't making them because they don't make money off them.

I think the HP1000 is the best grado heapdhone ever made, and one of the best headphones ever made period. But the grado company almost went under when they were being made. the end of the hp1000 marked the beginning of grado's sucess. sad but true
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #111 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by ansel1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Profit - I don't expect that either of these cans were made for pure profit or even profit at all, at least not directly related to headphones. At the time the Q010's came out the world was at the height of the iPod frenzy. It had to be clear to any manufacturer of audio that our world was filled with tone deaf sheep that believe compressed audio is "gud nuff" for them. "I can play great music in my cell phone while I drive a rusty nail into my skull!" (shudder).

Cheers

good point.

Dodge doesn't make a dime on the Viper. And they knew they wouldn't. It was made to boost their image as a company. And it worked, incredibly well. So well that they tried to do the same thing with their other brands, the Plymouth Prowler for example

I imagine the same is true of the R10, Qualia, Orpheus, etc. they were made to show the world what they were capable of.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #112 of 155
@ Akabeth: I contacted that german seller to know if the R10 auctioned were bass-lite or bass-heavy. He assured they were bass-light, so I skipped bidding on them.
Knowing the serial number you can tell if they're one version or the other. The difference is on the drivers more than on any other external feature.

I paste below the text of the post (I can't find it anymore but I kept the quote) with some information comming from Mikhail, who supposedly is very knowledgeable about the different R10's breeds. I'm sorry for not recalling who was so kind to post it initially:

"Here is what Mikhail (who has probably seen more pairs of R10 than most) says:

There were several drivers implemented in the three life cycles
that the design saw. The very first serial numbers through about the
upper 100's were the bass light variety. Then the 200's through the
upper 300's were a higher bass version, and then from about 400 to the
upper 900's the drivers were lower bass again. The final run is known
as the high bass versions because they have the most bass response and
greatest high frequency curve. So, as far as I've understood and seen
through the years of taking these headphones apart, the numbers I've
seen are "printed on the surface of the driver itself there numbers that
indicated to the best of my knowledge, the 3 is the earliest driver
stamped number, 2 is bass heavier, and 1 is yet bass heavier. Finally
the number 2 was stamped on most of the upper serial numbered pairs, but
the very last ones including about the last 200 pairs made do not have
the stamped number and are considered the 4th gen."

The number is hard to see unless you closely inspect the diaphragm with a
strong light through the covering material, or remove the pad (not
recommended). Also, you can take a look at the grain pattern on the
wooden cups. If the grain that runs horizontally is very strait and has
a slightly darker finish than it is more likely to be a bass heavier
pair. This is what the 200 to 300 serial numbers and some of the others
that I've seen look like."

I hope this helps. Rgrds

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #113 of 155
^Thanks very much Cool_Torpedo.

[I had no idea what it was tbh riceboy]
I was really hoping it to be a bass light version... you've just made my day
biggrin.gif

edit: nvm you can't find the thread too atm

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have fun with them and if they don't work out for you let me know as I would be interested in them for sure. Enjoy the music.

Haha... you evil one
biggrin.gif

A bit OT but even with my super-low-fi gear I can hear details in my classical CDs that I've never heard before and it sounds so relaxing... My first session with it I fell asleep in the sofa for 3 hours.

Oh I'm really going to be sorry for my wallet, I'm just getting started over here
biggrin.gif

edit: Do you guys take care of this headphone in any special way? The manual states just gotta pop it in the suitcase because of the anti-moth properties or something of that sort.
This is my first woodie headphone and I read some stuff about waxing woodies in head-fi forums... I mean I was 1 year old when this thing got out of the factory. I really don't want it to fall apart lol

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #114 of 155
With all due respect to Mikhail, my pair was serial # 365 and was a bass-light version.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #115 of 155
I think we can all sit and desire about the next R10, but it's not about what's next.... it's really about what you have now. I agree with everyone here, it's not economically feasible to produce these low number high cost production flagship pieces. I only wish I had bought a pair of Qualia's before they stopped production. A bummer Sony hired a chairman that only looked at profit and not at pushing the envelope. Such a shame.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #116 of 155
i've heard at least 7 different R10s and could not tell you upon listening if the pair was bass light or bass heavy. i think only by direct comparison can you tell for sure what pair you are dealing with.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #117 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've heard at least 7 different R10s and could not tell you upon listening if the pair was bass light or bass heavy. i think only by direct comparison can you tell for sure what pair you are dealing with.

I can assure that mine are bass-light without any comparo to any other R10. Someone told me here that if you wonder if yours are bass-lite or heavy, then are lights. Bass-heavies have a bass response which is deep and present. You just need to listen to material you know has the bass, and if it's not clearly there, then they're bass-lights. However I must say I haven't managed to listen to some bass-heavy pair yet.

Were Mikhail right, perhaps you'd need to listen and compare ABing when dealing with the 3 different bass-heavy versions.

Rgrds

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #118 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know, i think that it just doesnt work as a buisness model. every company has gone all out on the "perfect" headphone, and they have all gone out of production. they're not going to stop making something that is going to bring in cash. and keeping a headphone IN production costs far less then designing and producing a new one.

i dont mean to be pesimistic, i just think that they aren't making them because they don't make money off them.

I think the HP1000 is the best grado heapdhone ever made, and one of the best headphones ever made period. But the grado company almost went under when they were being made. the end of the hp1000 marked the beginning of grado's sucess. sad but true
frown.gif

well, sony just came up with these recently Dynamism

maybe there is hope

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #120 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K. I had to suck you all into this thread somehow. I am very new to this website and new to audiophile headphones in general. However, I have been reading so much about every headphone out there. I am obsessed with it now. Even over this short time it seems clear to me that there hasn't been a dynamic headphone as great as the R-10! The King of Headphones! I just look at those things and even I drool not knowing anything about the R-10's. Isn't there any way we can all get together and pressure these manufacturers to make a real reference headphone for the 21st century? Spare no expense, cost no object. What happened to the pursuit of excellence, fit, finish, and quality? How many of us are on this website? Why not send petitions to these companies?

Very naive thinking.. Companies are in it to make money first & foremost.. Why spend millions on R&D for a ultra Hi end headphone that only a handful of people will buy? We live in a country that spits on quality headphones IMO.. & when 50.00 is pushing it for most people, why would any company go to the trouble to lose tons of money? Bragging rights? Sony has the R10. AKG has the K1000. AT the L3000. Sen has He 70/90. Grado has HP-1/PS-1.. Only Stax is turning out ultra hi end headphones currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back