The Next Sony R-10!
Jul 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #91 of 155
I really don't understand, why won't manufacturers keep making their best phones, even without a profit margin, it will live up their brand and satisfy costumers, they can get money somewhere else (just like Graphic card maker do
biggrin.gif
)
If the reason is for exclusivity like Sennheiser and Audio Technica did, it is really not fair for us the next generation.......

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #92 of 155
It is a shame, like I said before, that in 2008, we have to look backwards for a reference headphone, and not forwards. Hopefully, the Japanese are thinking otherwise and there will be a new Sony R-11 on the horizon soon. Whether by Sony or not. I wish I could've at least heard the Qualia headphones though. You know, America is a country of 300 million people and the best headphones that we have to offer are from Bose?

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #93 of 155
Who knows what happens? Taket H2 was a hot one last fall and if they do an improved version that works fine, maybe it could be it. Stax won't stop making Omegas, either.
Quote:

America is a country of 300 million people and the best headphones that we have to offer are from Bose?

Pst, the little fella called Grado.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #94 of 155
It seems that there's a lot of eager folks here waiting to get their hands on an R-10..... or just wanting have a listen. I've seen way too much talk in this thread... Let us all put it this way (just out of my curiosity
smily_headphones1.gif
)

This is what Caution said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chances are only 2 or 3 people would actually buy them even on this site :p

ok maybe not 2 or 3, but you get the idea.

And taking in some real-world factors...
Nomad:The Next Sony R-10! - Page 7 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
khbaur330162http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/n...ml#post4364761
plus the whole "money talk" idea...

[size=small]
If Sony suddenly decides to go for broke and release the MDR-R15 in 2015 [size=x-small](a [made up] totally new and modernized version of R10)[/size] that will have a limited production run of 365 (days in a year) with a price tag of $5000; Assuming you're still alive by then will you buy it? Regardless of your financial situation
[/size]

=============================

Just thinking about it gave me shivers... I don't know how to answer it.

OK... "Most likely"
eek.gif
[size=xx-small][curse-me for saying this][/size]...

Will you?

=============================

Think about it though. This is what companies probably ask themselves over and over and OVER again before launching a product, during the manufacturing process, and EVEN before the conception of the product; possibly more when they're dealing with the high-end! The market is smaller, the expectations are HIGH, and demand is small... Cost of development, manufacturing, and other finances are also to be considered.

What's our goal in this? What's a good price point? Will the costumers enjoy our product? How can we make 'it' better than what has already been done? Why should we invest our time and money for this product? How many of this should we make?

Will the costumers buy it? What are the odds of this product failing and succeeding? Is it worth it? What do WE manufacturers gain from doing all this?

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #95 of 155
no akabeth it is not our point (at least mine)
it will be all the same if it is just a limited edition,

we need an infinite run, so then everyone who wants it can eventually got one

just like a graphic card maker, they make high end product for enthusiast and low end product for making money, in the contrary for Sony they do not have to develop the product anymore, they already have it, all they have to do is producing it,

oh well may be Sony is not very healthy right now, but when they are they really should consider it....

ps. mdr-r15 hmmmmmm.......assuming it is on par, off course I will get one
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #96 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a shame, like I said before, that in 2008, we have to look backwards for a reference headphone, and not forwards. Hopefully, the Japanese are thinking otherwise and there will be a new Sony R-11 on the horizon soon. Whether by Sony or not. I wish I could've at least heard the Qualia headphones though. You know, America is a country of 300 million people and the best headphones that we have to offer are from Bose?

Oh really...
rolleyes.gif

* So the Stax SR-007A and SR-007MK2, which are currently in production, are not a reference headphone in your eyes? Its even made by a Japanese company.
* BOSE? Did you forget Grado? Their GS1000 and RS1 beat any BOSE imo...

But I agree that its a shame that most vendors (Sennheiser, Sony, Audio-Technica, beyerdynamics, AKG, and probably more) have given up on their statement headphones. Just to resort to consumer headphones...
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #98 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we need an infinite run, so then everyone who wants it can eventually got one

That's a hard one to digest

The epic version of that would like having the guys in Maranello to resume the production of Enzo Ferrari... and then making it an unlimited run as long as there is demand.

Other factors aside, do you think that doesn't ruin the prestige behind the product line?
frown.gif

The R10 will most likely be replaced by a worthy flagship whenever that time comes; like a lot of supercars. Even though the Qualia 010 was supposed to but it didn't... maybe next time
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i am after buying the sony MDR-R10, so if by any chance a mircale occurs and someone is selling hit me up.

Make sure you have ~$6k ready at arms reach... as I did with mine.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #99 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you have ~$6k ready at arms reach... as I did with mine.

i certainly do, but i thought you paid $4795.00 plus shipping, thats damn expensive shipping you got charged (~$1205)
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #100 of 155
^ Yes I meant $6k as a baseline.

I got REALLY lucky on that auction... I put in $6k as my highest bid (my first bid too) and was willing to go a bit further. After that, there was only one person who tried to outbid me... and the person only went up by 1 bid increment ($40? lol) and for the last 2 days the auction did not move up one cent; it almost felt wrong from my end. That's always good because I turned the funds to work on my car and start saving for a nice t00b amp
biggrin.gif

Shipping from Germany was slightly expensive though >_<
Good luck finding your R10
thumbsup.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #101 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yes I meant $6k as a baseline.

I got REALLY lucky on that auction... I put in $6k as my highest bid (my first bid too) and was willing to go a bit further. After that, there was only one person who tried to outbid me... and the person only went up by 1 bid increment ($40? lol) and for the last 2 days the auction did not move up one cent; it almost felt wrong from my end. That's always good because I turned the funds to work on my car and start saving for a nice t00b amp
biggrin.gif

Shipping from Germany was slightly expensive though >_<
Good luck finding your R10
thumbsup.gif

i am glad you got it a pair sorted, its worrying seeing that story about jenalabs and the recable from hell and all the horror stories hidden away inside the R-10's headphone driver casing, i think just for piece of mind i would ask alex if he could inspect them for me for a fee, if i ever snagged a pair.

do you know how many were made originally?

enjoy you lucky thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #102 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't understand, why won't manufacturers keep making their best phones, even without a profit margin, it will live up their brand and satisfy costumers, they can get money somewhere else (just like Graphic card maker do
biggrin.gif
)
If the reason is for exclusivity like Sennheiser and Audio Technica did, it is really not fair for us the next generation.......

Oh, I completely agree. Every major company has a store in New York City and they are in very expensive areas of town. Their rent is astronomical. However, I have read over and over again in the New York Times that they must have a presence here in the city as a form of advertising. The sales figures for the stores do not even slightly cover the monthly rent so the stores are operating at a loss. The stores exist as advertising. The R-10's would serve the same purpose.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #103 of 155
Very interesting thread.

I'll pipe in with my opinion and feel free to disagree.

I am a musician and an artist. I've worked with wood and with industrial materials. I've also built and sold several companies in my life so three comments, one in response to another posters comments about profit.

R10 - these remarkably warm headphones strike me as something designed by a senior craftsman who appreciates pure sound and natural materials like wood and the accoustic benefits it offers. Mine are warm and rich sounding. An amazing pair of headphones. While someday I may find a better sound that I prefer, probably as my hearing changes as I get older, I will keep these in the same place I keep my favorite guitars. Someday they will be inherited, and hopefully appreciated, by my grandchildren (someday).

Q010 - A different sound than the R10. My impression is that these headphones are influenced by a younger craftsman who wanted to focus on the sound. I say this because their sound quality is, in my opinion, up there with the best I have heard. The effort to make them so light through innovative use of materials like Carbon Fiber, Aluminum. The open design that never touches my ears is wonderful (I really love this because I can listen for hours not distracted by the weight or feel of the phones on my head. This is something I could never do with my R10's) . I like them so much I ended up with multiple sets.

Profit - I don't expect that either of these cans were made for pure profit or even profit at all, at least not directly related to headphones. At the time the Q010's came out the world was at the height of the iPod frenzy. It had to be clear to any manufacturer of audio that our world was filled with tone deaf sheep that believe compressed audio is "gud nuff" for them. "I can play great music in my cell phone while I drive a rusty nail into my skull!" (shudder).

Even faced with the clear writing on the wall Sony still made these cans available. I don't imagine that they made much, if any money, on the whole effort. I also find it curious that Sony stopped making these about the same time they got a new CEO. If you want Sony to make a new high end headphone, of this kind, I'd suggest you get Howard Stringer interested. These kind of activities scream "Pet Project". That is if anyone here is in a position to talk to him.

Cheers

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #104 of 155
ansel1969. What an awesome first post!
biggrin.gif

..from a lucky owner of multiple (at least two) Qualia 010's..

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #105 of 155
Yes, I too think that the approach to the Qualia's was quite a noble and well thought out one. Many have disparaged the sound quality on this forum. I have yet to hear them myself but the idea of breaking tradition with the R-10's and making a headphone thoroughly modern and state-of-the-art is what needed to be done and still needs to be done. Hmmm, Howard Stringer... let's see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back