The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Sep 17, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #8,989 of 9,165
If memory serves it has to be a USB2 slot and not a USB3 slot.  Also the DAC function isn't terribly useful for anything but music since it will run out of sync with video after a little while. Eve then it's a little annoying to start a song and not hear it for a few seconds or after pausing have it continue for a few seconds.  At one point the delay from input to output was over 10 seconds for me.

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #8,990 of 9,165
I've got it running on this Mac before. Same usb slots and cable.  But since then I've updated the AK100 and the Mac. I cannot remember the state both devices worked with each other. I just want to get some Spotify out of the AK100.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #8,994 of 9,165
Hi!

Is there any chance to make my android smartphone a bluetooth remote for my AK100?

As far as I know, Bluetooth in this player is purely for output of sound.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #8,996 of 9,165

You are correct and I stand corrected. There was the IAA01 BT remote control for the AK100 - so yes, theoretically you can emulate that on create a remote via a bluetooth device.

http://shop.iriverinc.com/iriver-iaa01-bluetooth-remote-control.html

Cheers,
K

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #8,997 of 9,165

You are correct and I stand corrected. There was the IAA01 BT remote control for the AK100 - so yes, theoretically you can emulate that on create a remote via a bluetooth device.

http://shop.iriverinc.com/iriver-iaa01-bluetooth-remote-control.html

Cheers,
K

I have almost 300 GB loaded on my AK100, It would be great to have acces to my library via my Galaxy S6. 

BTW. I own IAA01:)

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #8,999 of 9,165
Hi Everyone - So... I own both an AK120 and a AK100mkii (purchased over the last year, in that order). 
I love my AK120 - however, for some reason, the optical output on my AK120 stopped working. Thats the only reason I bought an AK100 - I needed something to pair with my Chord Mojo (which requires a digital signal). 

ANYWAY...

My AK120 plays everything I throw at it without any trouble at all... I have very clean tags and everything shows up well after a library sync. I have never had any trouble playing music with this device.

My AK100 on the other hand has been nothing but trouble from the start. It freezes mid library sync nearly every time. BUT, sometimes it actually works and finishes the sync. So, it's a frustrating problem, but one that I'm willing to deal with. The BIGGEST problem, (and one I'm not sure I can put up with) is the random freezing that happens both when simply navigating around the menus, and when playing music. 

I've read a fair amount of the posts in this thread referring to the freezing problems and most people seems to think it has something to do with file tags and/or the SD cards. In the spirit of troubleshooting, I've tried the three most recent firmwares, removed all SD cards, and am only syncing my favorite/most listened to albums to the internal memory on the AK100. Those albums are albums I've listened to many times on the AK120 without trouble. 

My question to you guys is, should I return/exchange this AK100? This thing is less then 3 days old, and I'm sure Amazon will take it back no problem... But, these issues are software based and not hardware based, am I right? Not sure I see the point in sending it back but wanted to know what ya'll thought. I guess one more question too - Do you guys ever see weird screen glitches? Hard to describe but, on occasion I see what looks like "artifacting" and weird color/pixelations usually oriented horizontally. It only shows up for a half second and then clears up. This is sometimes followed by a freeze, and sometimes it's not and it works fine (usually a 50/50 chance).

confused.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #9,000 of 9,165

My AK100 on the other hand has been nothing but trouble from the start. It freezes mid library sync nearly every time. BUT, sometimes it actually works and finishes the sync. So, it's a frustrating problem, but one that I'm willing to deal with. The BIGGEST problem, (and one I'm not sure I can put up with) is the random freezing that happens both when simply navigating around the menus, and when playing music. 

I've read a fair amount of the posts in this thread referring to the freezing problems and most people seems to think it has something to do with file tags and/or the SD cards. In the spirit of troubleshooting, I've tried the three most recent firmwares, removed all SD cards, and am only syncing my favorite/most listened to albums to the internal memory on the AK100. Those albums are albums I've listened to many times on the AK120 without trouble. 

My question to you guys is, should I return/exchange this AK100? This thing is less then 3 days old, and I'm sure Amazon will take it back no problem... But, these issues are software based and not hardware based, am I right? Not sure I see the point in sending it back but wanted to know what ya'll thought. I guess one more question too - Do you guys ever see weird screen glitches? Hard to describe but, on occasion I see what looks like "artifacting" and weird color/pixelations usually oriented horizontally. It only shows up for a half second and then clears up. This is sometimes followed by a freeze, and sometimes it's not and it works fine (usually a 50/50 chance).

confused.gif

Apart from its sluggish UI my AK100 Mk2 is also buggy from the beginning and it mostly concerns freezing on certain tracks. Before I turned off automatic library update a voluntary library scan was performed countless times during a day. I suppose it's uncurable and you should send it back as there's no shortage of good mid-fi DAPs in the market. The only reason I still keep it is its size and decent battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back