The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Oct 1, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #7,231 of 9,165
  Hi all,

Does anyone know what the bluetooth capabilities are for this device?

Can you stream to it? From it?

Why you would want to stream from a $700 DAP via bluetooth is beyond me, but being able to stream to it might have its uses from time to time.

Closest thing I have seen is I connected my phone to it and it went ring ring when I got a call, surely this isnt the only functionality of it.

Cheers

Scott

no you can't stream. The bluetooth  is only for being able to get a call notification while listening if your phone is near and you link it together via bluetooth

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #7,232 of 9,165
no you can't stream. The bluetooth  is only for being able to get a call notification while listening if your phone is near and you link it together via bluetooth

You can stream from it, but perhaps not to it. Might also be limited in what you can stream to.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #7,236 of 9,165
I don't suppose anyone has any tricks to get the AK100 working as a USB DAC on 64bit Windows via a USB 3.0 port?

The official specs state that only USB 2.0 ports are able to be used on a 64 bit OS.... which doesn't help me when I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro which only has a USB 3.0 port.

I've tried connecting it via a USB2 hub connected to the device, but no luck.

It works just fine through my desktop's usb 2.0 port.

If not, I might have to get myself an iBasso D12 or D6. Has anyone compared the USB output of the AK100 to either of those?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #7,237 of 9,165
I don't suppose anyone has any tricks to get the AK100 working as a USB DAC on 64bit Windows via a USB 3.0 port?

The official specs state that only USB 2.0 ports are able to be used on a 64 bit OS.... which doesn't help me when I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro which only has a USB 3.0 port.

If not, I might have to get myself an iBasso D12 or D6. Has anyone compared the USB output of the AK100 to either of those?

Thanks for any help
Paul

The Surface pro is USB 2.0 backward compatible, is the pro able to recognize the AK100 as a sound device is another question you should ask. I have a Windows 7 64-bit setup and have no issues recognizing my USB 2.0 compatible dacs which need to be switched from the sound control panel in Windows. As far as the D12, it has an optical in which I believe the AK100 has so you can connect it that way. Just remember I'll will be bypassed and just will work as a transport. You can use the LI but then it's like amping the AK.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #7,238 of 9,165
It does recognise the AK100 but when using it as default sound device no sound is emitted.

I can get it to work on both my desktop and Surface RT which have USB 2.0 connections. A&K have confirmed that it won't work with a USB3 port but I was wondering if anyone had any workarounds.

A USB to optical converter is another (cheaper) option I will look into, thanks. Hopefully they aren't too bulky.

Paul

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #7,239 of 9,165

Thanks for any help
Paul

My understanding is that it is an issue with the win8 usb3 driver. I can use my usb3 ports on my win7 htpc on Intel z77 chipset, but not on a Sony vaio pro 13 on win8.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #7,240 of 9,165
My understanding is that it is an issue with the win8 usb3 driver. I can use my usb3 ports on my win7 htpc on Intel z77 chipset, but not on a Sony vaio pro 13 on win8.

thanks. Does this mean that the D12 and other USB2 audio devices wont work on a USB3 port either?

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #7,241 of 9,165

I guess it is costly adopting the latest Microsoft technology :wink: that's why I haven't moved to Win 8 and its interface stinks (flat everything) :D

MS boards are riddled with complaints about Win 8, to me it's not prime yet just too many issues. I'll wait for Win 9 lmao :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #7,242 of 9,165
I have had very good luck with Windows 8 (and 8.1) x64 using USB DACs over USB 3. I have a Fiio E17 and a Schiit Modi and both work better on Windows 8 than on Windows 7. I had noise problems on USB 2 on Win 7. Switching to USB 3 helped but all of the problems went away with Windows 8. I am using stock Microsoft drivers. Don't understand why Schiit and Fiio can make this work, but not iRiver.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #7,243 of 9,165
Another interesting thing to note.
UERM looses bit of upper treble when paired with 22ohm AK100.
Nonetheless, that's not always a bad thing. It makes them great for new age and classical because those genres don't require much upper treble, and it sounds very mellow with rolled off treble. I like it more that way for new age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back