The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #3,302 of 9,165
I just had my first music library issue since getting my RWAK100: my 2nd SD card (I use 64GB SanDisk class 10 mSD cards) wouldn't mount when I connected the player via USB to my rMBP (the internal SSD & 1st SD card mounted as drives on my rMBP).  When I browsed Folders on the player itself, it showed the 2nd SD card, but no music!!!  I removed that SD card from the player, & (using the SD card adaptor) I inserted it into my rMBP's SD card reader...all my music showed up in Finder.  :shrug:  I simply put it back into the RWAK100 SD slot & now all my music shows.

This is the first music library issue I've run into.  I'm also a bit surprised that so far, I have had zero tagging issues.  I've run everything through iTunes for years (have migrated my iTunes library to various external HDs over the years) & I let iTunes manage everything.  I've downloaded some hi-res FLAC & use XLD to convert them to ALAC, but other than that, I use iTunes to tag everything (sometimes I do change tags that XLD attaches...mostly genre).  Album art is a different story, it's hit & miss, but I just don't care about that, but I get why others do.

ETA:  Ehhh...also just had my first playback issue...  I had purchased a 24/192 FLAC album (The Eagles - Hotel California) from HiResAudio & converted them to ALAC using XLD (I use Audirvana Plus as my software music player on my Mac so want everything still running through iTunes as it makes my life easier).  On my RWAK100, the 24/192 ALAC files from that album displayed skipping issues.  When I play it via Audirvana Plus on my rMBP, no skipping whatsoever, so it's not due to a bad transcode, methinks.  Weird.  Gonna copy over the FLAC version of the album to my RWAK100 & see if that makes a difference.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #3,303 of 9,165
- I'll try a firmware re-install
- Disappearing SD card or content (on AK100 or via USB): known issue, and looks like you found the solution already (i.e. re-insert cards or restart AK100 if necessary)
- Playback issue: that's one thing I haven't run into yet (don't have that many 192 or 176.4 tracks though) Never had an issue with XLD conversions so far, any type of conversion for any device. Though since HD tracks now offers straight ALAC downloads I haven't done many HD conversions recently...

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #3,304 of 9,165
Quote:
So I just dusted off my AK100 (v1.30), dumped most of my music on it & 2 mSD cards, ran a manual library scan, and get "There are no Albums", and no tracks, no artists, no genres etc. I manually wiped the database, tried again. Restarted the AK100. No dice. I have about ~6700 tracks on them, shouldn't really be that much of an issue. I can still use the folder navigation. Anybody else run into this, any suggestions?

This might just be the last straw. Constantly having to query forums to find solutions for non-working music lists, missing albums art, mangled album & track titles etc is getting reaaally tiring... Never mind the UI, this thing has a subpar music playback support in general, it fails in areas that some sub-$100 players don't. It fails compared to 6-year & older iPod hardware with less CPU horsepower & memory, which still manage to show more tracks, and show them correctly, and make it reasonably easy to browse them in various ways, than this piece.

Who cares about sound quality when you can't even get your music to show up & be browsable (no matter what format) without having to re-format, retag, resize files & artwork just to somehow make it work.

I'm tired of "audiophile" being an (expensive) excuse for a laughably bad user experience, not even including properly working playlists, no gapless playback (on a "high-end" player!), auto-shutdown during DAC use etc. None of which are apparently getting fixed after they grudgingly added basic ALAC/AAC support in the face of negative reviews etc. All of this might be acceptable if it was a cheap-to-midpriced device, not a ~$700 one (or -even more- if you want the hardware "fixed" for better IEM support)

The frustrating part is that the hardware, in terms of processing power, available touch-screen interface, and storage options, is perfectly capable but is completely let down by the firmware... like they got the initial device to kinda work with a select set of files and usage scenarios they had on hand, and that's the end of that for iRiver. The customers in the real world can figure out how to deal with the rest.</rant>

Sorry Grump how frustrating. I admire your tenacity I would have given up much sooner. I really appreciate iTunes/i~Devices UI and would change if Audiophile type DAP all in one got introduced that had 85% of. At the present time I don't know of any.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3,305 of 9,165
Quote:
you right, i plan use T1 as amp only or use 6mkII bypassing rwak dac... So question is sonically can leckerton dac best rwak dac because otherwise T1 might be a better choice. I heard superb reviews of T1 and similar great response on latest 6mkII. Price wise leckerton seems very interesting choice because of both amp and dac with optical in.

I'd think you'd be watering down the RWA AK100s performance by using the UHA6 MKIIs DAC. Better to just amp the HO using the amp section itself IMO.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #3,306 of 9,165
Just browse the folders...what's the big deal...?....oh yeah OCD sucks lol

I can't believe the fuss about album art...are you all really that attached to wee little pictures ? I bought this device as a audio player not a jpeg viewer...I grant some fw issues, specifically playlists...but c'mon enjoy it for it intended purpose...

Didn't we cry for some Rockbox love a month or more ago...?...anyone know a developer ?

Sorry but I don't even bother with scanning the library...just hit the folders...fantasy problem solved...

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #3,307 of 9,165
Quote:
hi guys..just want to share my thoughts in regards to The National, The International and Rx mk3. I have tried 3 of those paired with my ak100 stock.

One of the biggest gripes about the AK100  is the high output impedance(Hence the RWAK100).

Nobody seems to know the output impedance of ALO amplifiers. So wouldnt pairing the AK100 with an amp with unknown headphone output impedance as a `fix` be fruitless?

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #3,310 of 9,165
Quote:
I can't believe the fuss about album art...are you all really that attached to wee little pictures ? I bought this device as a audio player not a jpeg viewer...I grant some fw issues, specifically playlists...but c'mon enjoy it for it intended purpose...

It is that some of us remember cover art easier than titles.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #3,311 of 9,165
Quote:
Chris you have to keep in mind you have an RWA AK100 while he has the regular version. Meaning the bass on the EX1000s could very well be rolled off due to the impedance issues on his unit. I never found the RWA AK100 lacking in bass. It actually was a bit lose for my tastes.

Can anyone explains meaning of roll-off and what does it sound like?
Please~

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3,313 of 9,165
Quote:
Bass light, recession of the bass region. The cutting out of frequencies from the bass. It can be attributed to other frequencies as well such as treble roll off.

Thanks, now i get it.

RWAK100 seems more colored from you guys' brief reviews.
I should really think about moding it after i get my Unique Melody Miracles.
Hope these two won't sound bad. If this pair really sounds awful, that will cost me 250+ dollars to mod it.
Even though not worthwhile just for cutting off the impedance, but have to do that.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,315 of 9,165
Quote:
I've got Merlin's come this week...I'll post up some impressions with the rwak100...

Will UM contact you before they finish your CIEM?
I really have no idea what RWAK100 will sound like, and also afraid of RWAK100 will be too overwhelming on the bass, because i prefer a pure sound without a lot of bass.
And it's hard to handle exactly how much more RAK100 will give me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back