The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread
Feb 8, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #347 of 719
  Just ordered: 1 x OCC Pure Silver with Oyaide plugs and 1 x Pure Silver IC this morning, and Ted is almost there..Great Service!! answers emails almost instantaneously. Highly Recommended

The very short cable is exactly what I need to connect my DAC & DAP....

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #349 of 719

Seconded.........and he always makes me laugh, add good sense of humor to being a total pro at making great cables.

Ted has been no-nonsense in his dealings with me - always a gentleman, always on message. No BS - I can look at a number of email threads with messages of no more than 5 to 6 or so words - lol. 

He gets to the point. Give him a scenario and he doesn't try to up-sell unless you need it. I had a silver 2 pin and a copper MMCX and I wanted to buy the opposite so I would have copper and silver with both connectors - at first he offered to just switch connectors if I wanted a copper 2 pin and silver MMCX - when I confirmed I wanted to end up with all four - he gave me a nice deal. I just sent him a silver cable I got with an IEM I bought a while back (one of his cables) that I wanted to have an RSA balanced connector instead of the 3.5mm - I just dropped some cash and the cable in a padded envelope and the turnaround was amazing - and now I have balanced to mess about with - for a reasonable price. No muss, no fuss. Just done. 

The man must have been a hairdresser in a previous life - boy can he braid!

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #350 of 719
I promised a review that is long due to Ted and his cable and here it is.

I would like to start by saying that Ted is one of the most awesome guys I've ever dealt with. Emails were replied almost immediately and he gives the most honest recommendations based on your application. No upselling and no BS. Prices are more than fair and if you've ordered from him before, he'll even give you a very nice discount. One word to describe Ted as a person would be awesome.

Now i would like to talk about the cable that i have bought from him. The silver litz cable for my SE846. I have been using and testing it out for weeks now. So i believe i am now more capable of just giving a "first impressions" review.

My Rig
ibasso DX90
Shure SE846
Ted's Silver Litz Cable

Physical Appearance / Build
The cable is very nicely braided. The insulating material of the cables feels nice and soft. Almost like a soft touch finish. The cable that i've had before other than the OEM ones are the ones from FiiO. Compared to those two, Ted's cable is much much more supple, thicker and due to the soft touch feel insulating material of the cables, they produce little to no microphonics (not sure if that's the term to use) when the cables rub against each other. When coiled and kept for transport, they do not have cable memory once taken uncoiled. It just straightens out. The silver on the cable looks absolutely fantastic. Its not so much of a silver but more of a pearl finish due to the Litz construction. I have mine terminate into a Viablue straight plug. It is very secure and doesn't budge even when i pull hard on it. An extra touch he did was he heat shrunk another layer of material on the cable just before it meets the plug. This actually acts as a strain relief and further adds on to the durability of the cable. I've chosen the carbon fiber tube Y split and just as expected, it's nicely done, looks amazing and most importantly, it got rid of the ugly huge y split of the OEM cable.

Now i did have an "issue" with the MCX connector on one side of the cable. One would fit in very tightly to the point the cable is so secured that it wouldn't let the IEM rotate. I like that. But on the other side, it was so loose that just by simply adjusting the memory wire when i put it on, the connector pops out of the IEM. Contacted Ted who replied straight away with a remedy which i can do myself to tighten that connector up. Issue solved. To be fair to Ted, he did mentioned that he test fit all his cables before sending them out. On his unit, the connectors fit nicely and it could be due to the each IEM's socket is a little different which causes that problem.

Sound Impressions
I've tested this cable on various music files from mp3 to cd quality to hi-res flac. Also on different gain settings on my DX90. Tested the difference in sound after the cable change with all the 3 filters for my IEM.

My general settings on my DX90 would be on low gain. White/Bright filters on my SE846. Long story short, after testing and listening on Ted's Silver litz cable, i went back to the Blue/Neutral filter for the IEM. Because what i noticed was that after doing A-B test listening, i noticed that the cable brought an extra sparkle to the high freq sound signature on my SE846, Before when i was still using the OEM cable, i felt i needed a little more up high to satisfy my ears thus the change and use of the white/bright filter. With Ted's cable, it opened up the high freq a little more and on certain tracks, it was starting to fatigue my ears a little if i used the white filter. So i changed back to the blue filters. Upon changing it back to the blue filters, i did another A-B test with the OEM and Ted's cable. True enough, with the oem cable, the high seems to be not enough for me. Ted's cable lifted a thin veil and the high sounded fantastic again. Not only that, the cable also added a little more "air" to the highs making the soundstage feel slightly more expanded than the oem ones.I did not notice much change to the bass or low end while doing the A-B test. If any, it might be placebo but the bass seems tighter and doesn't "bloom" as much compared to the oem cables. That helped revealed a little more details as the bass feels more tamed. Do note that to me the changes wasn't a night and day difference like switching from a cheap ipod earbuds to the SE846. The sonic improvements that this cable did was more of a "polishing" effect. On tracks that i frequently listens to, i can tell the difference very clearly while doing the A-B test. But on tracks that i'm not too familiar with, i can still hear the difference but i have to really pay attention. Lastly, i did an A-B test of Ted's cable vs a few other 500 to 900 dollars cable and honestly, i would have no idea why anyone would buy those insanely priced cables as in my opinion, they do not sound any better than Ted's cable.  

Summary
+Awesome customer service
+Beautiful product
+Fair Prices
+Sonic improvements (lifted the high freq and added a little soundstage)

+/- I hoped that i could have sent him my IEM so that he could do a test fit for those finicky MCX connectors but unfortunately i couldn't as i on the other side of the globe where he is.

Great guy, great service, great price, great product. What are you waiting for? Get it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #351 of 719
I promised a review that is long due to Ted and his cable and here it is.

I would like to start by saying that Ted is one of the most awesome guys I've ever dealt with. Emails were replied almost immediately and he gives the most honest recommendations based on your application. No upselling and no BS. Prices are more than fair and if you've ordered from him before, he'll even give you a very nice discount. One word to describe Ted as a person would be awesome.

Now i would like to talk about the cable that i have bought from him. The silver litz cable for my SE846. I have been using and testing it out for weeks now. So i believe i am now more capable of just giving a "first impressions" review.

My Rig
ibasso DX90
Shure SE846
Ted's Silver Litz Cable

Physical Appearance / Build
The cable is very nicely braided. The insulating material of the cables feels nice and soft. Almost like a soft touch finish. The cable that i've had before other than the OEM ones are the ones from FiiO. Compared to those two, Ted's cable is much much more supple, thicker and due to the soft touch feel insulating material of the cables, they produce little to no microphonics (not sure if that's the term to use) when the cables rub against each other. When coiled and kept for transport, they do not have cable memory once taken uncoiled. It just straightens out. The silver on the cable looks absolutely fantastic. Its not so much of a silver but more of a pearl finish due to the Litz construction. I have mine terminate into a Viablue straight plug. It is very secure and doesn't budge even when i pull hard on it. An extra touch he did was he heat shrunk another layer of material on the cable just before it meets the plug. This actually acts as a strain relief and further adds on to the durability of the cable. I've chosen the carbon fiber tube Y split and just as expected, it's nicely done, looks amazing and most importantly, it got rid of the ugly huge y split of the OEM cable.

Now i did have an "issue" with the MCX connector on one side of the cable. One would fit in very tightly to the point the cable is so secured that it wouldn't let the IEM rotate. I like that. But on the other side, it was so loose that just by simply adjusting the memory wire when i put it on, the connector pops out of the IEM. Contacted Ted who replied straight away with a remedy which i can do myself to tighten that connector up. Issue solved. To be fair to Ted, he did mentioned that he test fit all his cables before sending them out. On his unit, the connectors fit nicely and it could be due to the each IEM's socket is a little different which causes that problem.

Sound Impressions
I've tested this cable on various music files from mp3 to cd quality to hi-res flac. Also on different gain settings on my DX90. Tested the difference in sound after the cable change with all the 3 filters for my IEM.

My general settings on my DX90 would be on low gain. White/Bright filters on my SE846. Long story short, after testing and listening on Ted's Silver litz cable, i went back to the Blue/Neutral filter for the IEM. Because what i noticed was that after doing A-B test listening, i noticed that the cable brought an extra sparkle to the high freq sound signature on my SE846, Before when i was still using the OEM cable, i felt i needed a little more up high to satisfy my ears thus the change and use of the white/bright filter. With Ted's cable, it opened up the high freq a little more and on certain tracks, it was starting to fatigue my ears a little if i used the white filter. So i changed back to the blue filters. Upon changing it back to the blue filters, i did another A-B test with the OEM and Ted's cable. True enough, with the oem cable, the high seems to be not enough for me. Ted's cable lifted a thin veil and the high sounded fantastic again. Not only that, the cable also added a little more "air" to the highs making the soundstage feel slightly more expanded than the oem ones.I did not notice much change to the bass or low end while doing the A-B test. If any, it might be placebo but the bass seems tighter and doesn't "bloom" as much compared to the oem cables. That helped revealed a little more details as the bass feels more tamed. Do note that to me the changes wasn't a night and day difference like switching from a cheap ipod earbuds to the SE846. The sonic improvements that this cable did was more of a "polishing" effect. On tracks that i frequently listens to, i can tell the difference very clearly while doing the A-B test. But on tracks that i'm not too familiar with, i can still hear the difference but i have to really pay attention. Lastly, i did an A-B test of Ted's cable vs a few other 500 to 900 dollars cable and honestly, i would have no idea why anyone would buy those insanely priced cables as in my opinion, they do not sound any better than Ted's cable.  

Summary
+Awesome customer service
+Beautiful product
+Fair Prices
+Sonic improvements (lifted the high freq and added a little soundstage)

+/- I hoped that i could have sent him my IEM so that he could do a test fit for those finicky MCX connectors but unfortunately i couldn't as i on the other side of the globe where he is.

Great guy, great service, great price, great product. What are you waiting for? Get it.

Thanks for the awesome review man. I felt the same with the silver Litz cable. He makes one of the best cables, while not be saying much as I don't have any other custom cables. However, I know craftsmanship and the quality of everything and attention to detail is something out of this world.
While speaking with him, he really does care about his customers and their choices.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #352 of 719
Hey, guys! I bought the budget 25.5AWG OCC silver headphone cables for my shure se846 from Ted about a year ago, are they supposed to turn color after a certain time (they were silver when i first got them)? The sound from left side is cutting out when i move my head. Sent them to Ted and hope to get them back soon! They sound great.

-edit- I must've taken them to the gym when it first got them, that must be it.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #354 of 719
no silver wire can only turn black (copper/spc turns green) but his is the first with tpe insulation that i've seen turn brown. i'll know better when they get here.  in past i've seen my oldest discontinued super soft pe insulation change from sweat in gym.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #356 of 719
Yea they turned cooper in color, but sound quality hasn't changed. Here's ted's response after I posted last night:

"yours is the first in 25.5awg to have insulation turn brown. i've had other older insulation turn same brown but those were only in england and singapore from moister. its not been many but a few have turned after a year of use. now i have a set in for repair from florida and some parts near ears are brown but the guy used everyday in gym."

I leave these at home to listen to flac tracks on my computer/sound blaster z; on the go I just use my stock cables.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #357 of 719
  Hey, guys! I bought the budget 25.5AWG OCC silver headphone cables for my shure se846 from Ted about a year ago, are they supposed to turn color after a certain time (they were silver when i first got them)? The sound from left side is cutting out when i move my head. Sent them to Ted and hope to get them back soon! They sound great :)

That's actually not a bad patina they got.  Much better than the usual black or green.
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #359 of 719
so i got his cable back and he wanted the mdpc-x taken off also. underneath was still clearish white insulation but the area above y was definitely brown. the mmcx connectors were grimy same as ear memory wire area inside and out. it looks like sweat and grime are the main contributors as to why insulation turned brown. this happened on another head-fiers cable who openly admitted his was a massive sweater using them mostly in the gym. sweat can be very caustic to cables which is why i dont recommend using in heavy sweat situations like gyms. stick to a stock black cable if heavy sweating is going to be the norm. i do recommend keeping cables clean and using deoxit on connectors. jus sayin

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #360 of 719
  so i got his cable back and he wanted the mdpc-x taken off also. underneath was still clearish white insulation but the area above y was definitely brown. the mmcx connectors were grimy same as ear memory wire area inside and out. it looks like sweat and grime are the main contributors as to why insulation turned brown. this happened on another head-fiers cable who openly admitted his was a massive sweater using them mostly in the gym. sweat can be very caustic to cables which is why i dont recommend using in heavy sweat situations like gyms. stick to a stock black cable if heavy sweating is going to be the norm. i do recommend keeping cables clean and using DEOXIT on connectors. jus sayin

What's this now, we have to send our cables to be Detoxed? I guess that makes sense since using your cables are so addicting!  
blink.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back